Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Hey.... when I first read the post I was thinking it was 'perve'... it could have been worse
Actually, the pet perves are all over here:

From the fine folks who brought us Awkward Family Photos...

The kid with the rooster...

and the pep perves are here:

http://www.fantasiawear.com/costumes-cheerleaders.htm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been someone who has come to a free concert late... so I will give my view from the other side...

I get there and some people have two or three KING sized blankets 'reserving' a space for 2 people... times this by a few hundred and the whole hill is 'full'... with a lot of people wanting to find a spot...

Now, I do not have a problem with this IF there is still a lot of hill left... I do not have a problem going to the back if I am late... but I do have one if you are taking up real estate that you are not using...

The other is when they bring a full meal... have all this food layed out... again, taking up valuable real estate that is there for others...

My last one is when the people are carrying on a conversation at full volume... so they can be heard over the concert.... not a short sentence or two.... but a 'do you know what Sally did to Ted?' conversation.. come one... we are there to listen to the concert.... not have it as background music for your conversation...

The times I have gone, it is mostly great... and few people are that bad.. most will give up space when they see that it is getting full.. heck, one offered food to us as they had a lot... but this is not a picnic... even though it might look like one....

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #43
Administrator

My pet peeves at concerts include:

No audience
Being pelted with underwear
Drunk sound crews
Passing vehicles with subwoofers cranked
Cell phones that ring in a key other than mine
Getting hit on
Porto potties as green rooms (regardless of color)
Bounced checks and......
Free concerts (where musicians are expected to play for free as a "community building activity" )

Wanna trade?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been someone who has come to a free concert late... so I will give my view from the other side...

I get there and some people have two or three KING sized blankets 'reserving' a space for 2 people... times this by a few hundred and the whole hill is 'full'... with a lot of people wanting to find a spot...

How do you know if six of their party is making the mega-trek to the WCs? And the other six are parking the car, lugging the food & drink, etc.?

Okay, a peeve, even if you do get close-up seats, do you really want to see the performers' sweat, spit and worse, a glimpse up the tutu is no picnic.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
If everyone practiced common courtesy it wouldn't even be an issue.
Exactly. Those of us who were brought up to practice common courtesy find it unpleasant to have our experience at concerts ruined by those who were brought up in a barn. I don't attend live concerts for several reasons and this is one.

I think I just out-curmudgeoned the curmudgeons on this one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Exactly. Those of us who were brought up to practice common courtesy find it unpleasant to have our experience at concerts ruined by those who were brought up in a barn. I don't attend live concerts for several reasons and this is one.

I think I just out-curmudgeoned the curmudgeons on this one.
And before REW does it...
HEY YOU KIDS....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... All this talk confirms what I've always thought. I was born a curmudgeon.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm lucky, I guess. Every Friday in June and July my town has a free concert, from 6 to 8 pm. The performers are down at the bottom of a hill. People bring lawn chairs, or just stand. Ive been to 2 of these shows so far. No problems with the view. The crowd is always small, only about 1 or 2 hundred folks, 90 percent of them being senior citizens.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind the people moving in front. A crowd is an amorphous entity, constantly shifting and moving. I'm part of it. I go in close for the great guitar solos (or if Grace Potter is performing ). I move back and forth looking for the sweet spot acoustically. However, I do get a bit annoyed when I get a drunk woman with no rhythm jumping and bopping in front of me, spilling my beer and flipping her hair in my face. Then I have to move and go stand in front of My Dream.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I think concert venues should be equipped with Barco loungers...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #51

Their home page: Barcalounger : Home Page
Old 07-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #52

I'm 6'6" so don't have that problem. Could you find a big portable stool to stand on, or are you looking to remain seated?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stop bathing one week before the concert. Early in the day of the concert, consume obscene quantities of raw garlic, a few cans of pork and beans, a nice serving of coleslaw and wash it all down with a few cans of Budweiser. Problem solved

Note: This technique may cause other problems.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Stop bathing one week before the concert. Early in the day of the concert, consume obscene quantities of raw garlic, a few cans of pork and beans, a nice serving of coleslaw and wash it all down with a few cans of Budweiser. Problem solved

Note: This technique may cause other problems.

This just remined me of a day on the Tube in London... I got in the car and spied a good section of seats that were not taken... strange in the morning, but not unheard of if you are lucky... hurried to get there to sit down... when the aroma wafted to me.... a homeless guy was sitting all alone... with a couple of seats on either side of him open.. I hurried back to my spot close to the door out of range of the really bad smell... still could smell him that far away though... I then watch as others did the same thing as me.... hurry up, sit down... get up and move... What was real funny was to see the people who did not want to make it so obvious why they were leaving.... or the one or two who just stuck it out close to the guy...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I attended Woodstock 99 in a town close to East Nowhere.

After that experience , no "normal" event crowds ever seem awful to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wstock-headpetermax.jpg (64.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok this goes out to all the non grammar police that responded to my thread.

DW, 15 year old daughter and I went around 7:30 till 11:00 pm. We decided to sit along the side lines since we already noticed about 100 people standing and dancing right in front of the stage. Every once in a while we would take a walk around the park to stretch our legs but found the one of the tribute bands....well a bit too instrumental. I think it's more the quality time together, but after all the entertainment helps also. Out of the three days, we only attended one and decided to do the walk along the beach the other day.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Ok, is there any need to grade this post?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like everything turned out very well. Family, music, a beach....who could ask for more?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Ok this goes out to all the non grammar police that responded to my thread.

DW, 15 year old daughter and I went around 7:30 till 11:00 pm. We decided to sit along the side lines since we already noticed about 100 people standing and dancing right in front of the stage. Every once in a while we would take a walk around the park to stretch our legs but found the one of the tribute bands....well a bit too instrumental. I think it's more the quality time together, but after all the entertainment helps also. Out of the three days, we only attended one and decided to do the walk along the beach the other day.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

I GIVE YOU A GRADE OF A--for the sentiment and the grammar. Thanks for the update, MyDream.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

I think you did grate!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote