Advise on a Pep Peeve I have.

Coughing. Lots of loud, hacking, "I am disloding so many bacteria out of my lungs and in your direction, you wouldn't believe" coughing.

For those that gave me good advice thanks, as for the grammar police, I'm really not feel’ in the love. Especially for a Friday.

I knew it was "Pet", but I guess the mind ain't what it used to be.

Ok, where did that ignore button go? :mad:

For those that gave me good advice thanks, as for the grammar police, I'm really not feel’ in the love. Especially for a Friday.

Oh we all get ribbed once in a while! It wasn't that bad was it?

Audrey

Hey, the grammar police are just ribbing you in a good natured way. I guess it didn't come through in the prior posts! :D

If this is the worst you've got this week--be happy! It is better, after all, than working. :D
And it is clearly an indicator you are part of the family when you get "messed with". So you are no longer a newbie. :D
Feel the love! :flowers:

The only time I've ever been able to rid myself of naughty people is when I've worn my police shirt. :police:

Those pics of the park and gazebo are breathtaking! :smitten:

Would you be able to hear the music from the gazebo? If so, I'd park my fanny there; have a cooler with my favorite beverages, comfy chair and do a little people watching.

Then I would concentrate on my companion.....:cool:

I work at a large outdoor concert venue. There is a large pavilion with reserved seating (5,700) and then there is a large lawn with reduced price tickets (13,500).

At non-orchestra concerts you are allowed to stand at your seat. Sometimes we get a complaint from someone who can't see because of a taller person in front of them. The person in front of you paid for their seat and can stand there just like you can. Common courtesy says that you should be aware of the people around you and not interfere or block someone but this is a place with beer and drinks and really loud music and the tall guy in front of you paid $65 for his ticket, just like you did. The truth is that if you are short, you are out of luck. There have been times where a parent brings a little kid and wants to put them on their shoulders so the kid can see. You can hold your kid, but they can't be above your own height. And why isn't your child wearing EAR PLUGS? It's hearing damage level loud. Sorry, that's my pet peeve.

On the lawn they have restrictions on the height of lawn chairs. They have to be the short 9" kind. You can bring your own or rent them for $5. You don't have to have a chair and at some concerts that have really large crowds chairs are not allowed. Everyone is expected to stand.

I used my pass once a few years ago to see Rod Stewart. Using the pass got me a lawn ticket and I rented a lawn chair. Most people around me also had lawn chairs but as soon as the concert started a group of people stood in front of us. I moved to another spot and another group of people stood right there. It was the same all over the lawn. A thunderstorm finally cleared enough people out, so that we could get a view.

Of course, this is different than the OP's free concert in a park. If everyone practiced common courtesy it wouldn't even be an issue.

It wasn't that bad was it?Audrey
Come to think of it, I've had worse on this forum.

I guess it didn't come through in the prior posts!
Oh, I've had my share, but I'm stick’ in around.

If this is the worst you've got this week--be happy! It is better, after all, than working.
And it is clearly an indicator you are part of the family when you get "messed with". So you are no longer a newbie.
Feel the love!
Actually, that did make me laugh; look I still have the smile on my face.
My Dream, at least you know a lot of posters are not ignoring you. Now cut it out, everyone.
Thanks for watching my back Joe.

Would you be able to hear the music from the gazebo?
The distance from the gazebo to the stage is around 400'. Since there is a pathway that surrounds that park, (it's a skating rink in one of the pictures), and we normally sit about 50'

In conclusion folks we'll just do as we normally do and hope for the best. Oh and I can take a joke, after all, the grammar police never issued me a ticket so I guess I got off easy. Don't think for a second that my spelling is going to get better. I am who I am and I ain't going to change. Pffffffft.

PS. Thanks for bringing the love back. :blush:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

.... Don't think for a second that my spelling is going to get better. I am who I am and I ain't going to change. Pffffffft.

Phew, wouldn't want Mark Twain to be rolling around in his grave.
:smitten: Welcome to the curmudgeon club.

Hey.... when I first read the post I was thinking it was 'perve'... it could have been worse :greetings10:

I have been someone who has come to a free concert late... so I will give my view from the other side...

I get there and some people have two or three KING sized blankets 'reserving' a space for 2 people... times this by a few hundred and the whole hill is 'full'... with a lot of people wanting to find a spot...

Now, I do not have a problem with this IF there is still a lot of hill left... I do not have a problem going to the back if I am late... but I do have one if you are taking up real estate that you are not using...

The other is when they bring a full meal... have all this food layed out... again, taking up valuable real estate that is there for others...

My last one is when the people are carrying on a conversation at full volume... so they can be heard over the concert.... not a short sentence or two.... but a 'do you know what Sally did to Ted?' conversation.. come one... we are there to listen to the concert.... not have it as background music for your conversation...

The times I have gone, it is mostly great... and few people are that bad.. most will give up space when they see that it is getting full.. heck, one offered food to us as they had a lot... but this is not a picnic... even though it might look like one....

My pet peeves at concerts include:

No audience
Being pelted with underwear
Drunk sound crews
Passing vehicles with subwoofers cranked
Cell phones that ring in a key other than mine
Getting hit on
Porto potties as green rooms (regardless of color)
Bounced checks and......
Free concerts (where musicians are expected to play for free as a "community building activity" )

Wanna trade?
:)

I have been someone who has come to a free concert late... so I will give my view from the other side...

I get there and some people have two or three KING sized blankets 'reserving' a space for 2 people... times this by a few hundred and the whole hill is 'full'... with a lot of people wanting to find a spot...

How do you know if six of their party is making the mega-trek to the WCs? And the other six are parking the car, lugging the food & drink, etc.?

Okay, a peeve, even if you do get close-up seats, do you really want to see the performers' sweat, spit and worse, a glimpse up the tutu is no picnic.

Last edited:
If everyone practiced common courtesy it wouldn't even be an issue.

Exactly. Those of us who were brought up to practice common courtesy find it unpleasant to have our experience at concerts ruined by those who were brought up in a barn. I don't attend live concerts for several reasons and this is one.

I think I just out-curmudgeoned the curmudgeons on this one. :whistle:

Exactly. Those of us who were brought up to practice common courtesy find it unpleasant to have our experience at concerts ruined by those who were brought up in a barn. I don't attend live concerts for several reasons and this is one.

I think I just out-curmudgeoned the curmudgeons on this one. :whistle:

And before REW does it...
HEY YOU KIDS....GET OFF MY LAWN! :D

Hmm... All this talk confirms what I've always thought. I was born a curmudgeon.

I'm lucky, I guess. :cool: Every Friday in June and July my town has a free concert, from 6 to 8 pm. The performers are down at the bottom of a hill. People bring lawn chairs, or just stand. Ive been to 2 of these shows so far. No problems with the view. The crowd is always small, only about 1 or 2 hundred folks, 90 percent of them being senior citizens.

I don't mind the people moving in front. A crowd is an amorphous entity, constantly shifting and moving. I'm part of it. I go in close for the great guitar solos (or if Grace Potter is performing :angel:). I move back and forth looking for the sweet spot acoustically. However, I do get a bit annoyed when I get a drunk woman with no rhythm jumping and bopping in front of me, spilling my beer and flipping her hair in my face. Then I have to move and go stand in front of My Dream. :D

Back
Top Bottom