Join Early Retirement Today

Aereo? And Roku?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Aereo? And Roku?

Hi all
Now that I am ER'd I have some time to look at my expenditures. I currently have cable which I watch occasionally and almost exclusively network news. Aereo is coming to my area and considering using that and dropping the cable. Anyone from NYC with aereo experience?

I am also looking at Roku primarily as a way to watch aereo while still being able to use my Ipad for other things again any thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Nikki

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you live in an area where you can get broadcast networks using an antenna? If so just buy an antenna.

Personally I don't think that Aereo ultimately survives the copyright challenges from the broadcast networks. There was a similar service called Ivi that was available in Seattle, NYC, LA and Chicago that went under after the Supreme Court denied a petition to review an appeals court decision that found them to be infringing on copyright rules.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately antenna won't pick up signals well enough here.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki J View Post
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately antenna won't pick up signals well enough here.
You might want to consider this antenna. http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Ultimate-...u+leaf+antenna

It has a thin cord that can easily be attached to a window or wall. It works remarkably well. It is very light weight (like a laminated piece of cardboard) and easy to stick anywhere. It is new technology which is superior to other antennas. If it didn't work for you, it would be very simple to return to Amazon. Just keep the thin packing box it comes in in case you want to return it.

If you are in NYC, you have several towers nearby. You just have buildings blocking line of sight. I am surrounded by tall pine trees, tall block wall and two story houses blocking my line of sight and it works great.

In Florida, it pulled in stations almost 30 miles away. Try it.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I contacted Mohu and gave them my street address and they indicated that my location was not good for OTA.

OP, you could give this a try. Open the pdf, click on the link and enter your address and compare your results to the guidance in the pdf.

I had no LOS paths, all 2Edge and the highest NM was 10.1 (vs a minimum of 20 needed) so I'm out of luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mohu-Will-the-Leaf-Work-for-me.pdf (740.3 KB, 12 views)
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you very much. Might be worth trying. Appreciate the links!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Aereo is going to go down as well. If not, it really could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, resulting in vast shifting of scripted programming to cable, with the broadcasters telling Congress to go pound sand.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What I don't get is if so many people can get OTA programming from the majors for free why the majors can't also provide the same programming live (ads and all) through the internet to those of us who can't get OTA.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind paying a modest subscription fee for my locals, but where I live the only realistic way to get the locals is through cable or satellite.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote