Join Early Retirement Today

Affiliate.Com
Old 03-14-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Affiliate.Com

Anybody have any ideas how to get rid of the above re-direction sponser for pop up ads.?

It took about 5 tries and a half-hour to post this because of re-direction.

How do you kill this damn thing?

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Affiliate.Com
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Anybody have any ideas how to get rid of the above re-direction sponser for pop up ads.?

Thanks
Sounds like your browser got highjacked. You'll need to download something (CFB - help me out here) to kill it.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Microsoft antispyware Defender. Get it here for free.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download, install, run a scan, and then follow its advice to remove unwanted crud. Did you install any new software recently, or agree to something on a web site to be given 'free' access to something?

After installing the above software, future attempts to hijack your browser or install spyware will be stubbed out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Then download Mozilla Firefox and join the Microsoft 12-step club: "No more Internet Explorer!"

http://www.mozilla.org/

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Then download Mozilla Firefox and join the Microsoft 12-step club: "No more Internet Explorer!"

Yep! I 86'd IE off all of my machines (well, I hid the icons). With firefox, I have had zero BS spyware and highjack ware issues.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There are a couple of firefox specific exploits, but they havent been widely employed (aka the apple security through obscurity benefit) and they've generally been quickly fixed. In other words, its a better way to go, but dont get cocky...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
There are a couple of firefox specific exploits, but they havent been widely employed (aka the apple security through obscurity benefit) and they've generally been quickly fixed. In other words, its a better way to go, but dont get cocky...
Firefox isn't absolutely perfect, but I think it's ok to be cocky.... it's literally 99.95+% better than IE in practice. Most people running IE will collect assorted crap, whether they know it or not. Most people running Firefox will not collect any kind of crap, whether they know it or not.

Good enough for me......
Old 03-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Did you clean it out Jarhead or did it consume your computer, your house, and the rest of the neighborhood?

That thick stucco paint is no match for BHO's...
Old 03-17-2006, 12:59 AM   #9

CFB,

Thanks, I downloaded Defender. Very nice program

Kramer
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm worried that we havent heard from jarhead since this last post...

Bueller?...Bueller?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Internet Explorer must have et him.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Internet Explorer must have et him.* *
Hopefully his rainstorms have cleared and dried out the fairways, although he's probably stuck in a sand trap.

We're having our first blue skies & strange heavenly yellow light this month.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Thanks
Jarhead, we haven't heard from you since you posted this. Did you kill it or did it kill you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hopefully his rainstorms have cleared and dried out the fairways, although he's probably stuck in a sand trap.
I dunno, it frickin poured here yesterday and he's not that far away. Dry and somewhat sunny today though, but I made an attempt to cut my lawn for the first time in 3 weeks and immediately regretted it. I cant imagine whacking a little white ball through that stuff.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then download Mozilla Firefox and join the Microsoft 12-step club:* "No more Internet Explorer!"

I have a problem my anti-virus software will not fix. Every time I click on a link such as the above and then close that link I get a message 'Internet Exployer has encountered a problem and must be closed'. After I close this message it boots me out of whatever website I was in orginally and I have to log back in to that site. Would the above website be away around this problem or does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix?* *
Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What OS are you running?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I have a problem my anti-virus software will not fix. Every time I click on a link such as the above and then close that link I get a message 'Internet Exployer has encountered a problem and must be closed'. After I close this message it boots me out of whatever website I was in orginally and I have to log back in to that site. Would the above website be away around this problem or does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix?
It sounds like malware. Is your computer behaving unusually in other ways, too? Have you run a spyware/malware test lately?

If that's the problem, then the first thing you need to do is run an anti-spyware program, clean everything up (may require a few spins, and may require more than one anti-spyware program), then update your OS with all the latest patches, then download firefox, then burn all remnants of IE
Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What OS are you running?
Windows XP Home Edition. I have also used the free spyware software that Microsoft offers but still does not correct.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you have an original XP home boot cd, boot it and do a 'repair installation'.

If not, download the windows SP2 kit and reapply it here

Download and run the file. I hope to god you have a broadband connection and not dialup.

Sounds to me like you have a corrupted file associated with internet exploder. Either the 'repair' from the original CD or the reapplication of SP2 should overwrite the bad file and get you going again.

Or yeah, downloading firefox browser and installing and using that probably will fix the problem unless the faulty file is something IE and firefox share use of.

www.getfirefox.com
Old 03-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you have an original XP home boot cd, boot it and do a 'repair installation'.

If not, download the windows SP2 kit and reapply it here

Download and run the file.* I hope to god you have a broadband connection and not dialup.

Sounds to me like you have a corrupted file associated with internet exploder.* Either the 'repair' from the original CD or the reapplication of SP2 should overwrite the bad file and get you going again.

Or yeah, downloading firefox browser and installing and using that probably will fix the problem unless the faulty file is something IE and firefox share use of.

www.getfirefox.com
Thanks for your help. I do have dial up. I've been using Unclemicks cheap bastard approach the last couple of years as I near retirement.*

I'll check to see if I have a boot cd. If not, I will plan for a 2-3 hour download.*