Join Early Retirement Today

After dinner coffee liqueurs
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

After dinner coffee liqueurs

The other post on here about liquor caused me to think this site may be a good resource to post a question about after dinner liqueurs. My wife and I have been on 8 Carribean cruises. One of our favorite after dinner cruise activities is to enjoy the string quartets with their wonderful music while sipping a coffee liqueur. I specifically remember on Holland America they had a menu of about 8 similar coffee drinks which we really enjoyed. I would love to recreate some of these drinks but have been unable to find any recipes for them online. I have Googled online and searched web sites such as Cruise Critic to no avail. Does anyone have any of these recipes to share, or can you point me to a web site? Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any specific recipes - but if you start with Patron (tequila-based coffee cordial) I don't see how you could go wrong with the recipes one can find on the Net. To my palate, it is far more coffee-tasting, and less sweet, than Kahlua or Tia Maria.

I would try 1/2 Patron and 1/2 Godiva chocolate cordial to start with.

Amethyst

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try using a large wine glass with 1 1/2 shots of Kahlua and 1 1/2 shots of Tia Maria with the rest coffee. Then some fresh whipped cream on top. Then pour a snifter of Grand Marnier on the side. Pour a little of the Grand Marnier on top of the whipped cream and enjoy the coffee drink while sipping the Grand Marnier.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Mine is very simple - two tablespoons of Sambuca in a cup of black coffee. Yummy.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Try using a large wine glass with 1 1/2 shots of Kahlua and 1 1/2 shots of Tia Maria with the rest coffee. Then some fresh whipped cream on top. Then pour a snifter of Grand Marnier on the side. Pour a little of the Grand Marnier on top of the whipped cream and enjoy the coffee drink while sipping the Grand Marnier.
+1

And I thought I was the only one to come up with this combo ...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I thought Kahlua and Tia Maria were interchangeable, essentially the same thing. I know many recipes use them as substitutes for each other, so I assume you can't tell much difference unless you're drinking them straight. With a little Googling, evidently they are similar except Kahlua is vodka based with Mexican coffee and Tia Maria is rum based with Jamaican coffee. Learn something every day...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea32 View Post
The other post on here about liquor caused me to think this site may be a good resource to post a question about after dinner liqueurs. My wife and I have been on 8 Carribean cruises. One of our favorite after dinner cruise activities is to enjoy the string quartets with their wonderful music while sipping a coffee liqueur. I specifically remember on Holland America they had a menu of about 8 similar coffee drinks which we really enjoyed. I would love to recreate some of these drinks but have been unable to find any recipes for them online. I have Googled online and searched web sites such as Cruise Critic to no avail. Does anyone have any of these recipes to share, or can you point me to a web site? Thanks
I found some in this thread: After Dinner Shot Recipes - Cruise Critic Message Boards

I don't know if these are what you were talking about, and no quantities for ingredients are given (so I guess you'll be forced to keep trying different amounts--such a chore ), but here are a few from that thread. I like the names of the drinks!

B52: Kahula, Grand Marnier, Baileys

Blue eye Blonde: Creme De Cocao, Blue Curcacoa, Baileys

Cool Runnings: Tia Maria, Creme De Banana, Baileys
Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bailey's Irish Creme on the rocks, no mixing unless you want to try the do it yourself approach:

Homemade Baileys Irish Cream - You'll Never Buy it Again ~ Cupcake Project