Join Early Retirement Today

After retirement were you included in company events?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After retirement were you included in company events?

The megacorp company I retired from includes retirees in many programs and has dedicated programs for them. My division was acquired by another megacorp and the acquiring company does not seem to include retirees in events like company picnics, etc.

Does your former company include retirees in company events or is by former company unique?

Thanks
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The MegaCorp I worked for had retiree functions until it got bought out by Bigger MegaCorp. Those all were shut down. Company picnics, Xmas parties, after work gatherings and the like were shut down in the 90s.

So, sounds like your place of business is somewhat unique.
Bigal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My former company has a 25-year club for employees who have been there for 25 year. But because I thankfully left after 23, I never made it to that club. They have a newsletter for official retirees but because I simply resigned (in their eyes), I won't be part of that, either (thankfully).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
The megacorp company I retired from includes retirees in many programs and has dedicated programs for them. My division was acquired by another megacorp and the acquiring company does not seem to include retirees in events like company picnics, etc.

Does your former company include retirees in company events or is by former company unique?

Thanks
No company I've ever worked for (large or small) invited retirees or people who had left to any company functions.

That's okay by me...I wouldn't have gone anyway. Once I leave someplace, I'm done with it for good, and forever.

Along the same lines, I've never gone back to work for a previous employer, and never would, even though previous employers have courted me trying to get me back. Once I walk out the door, I never look back.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

The megacorp I used to work for offered an annual "founder's day", which featured a catered lunch, to which retirees were also invited. But not to any pizza days, ice cream days, or anything else.
chilkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, my Megacorp invites retirees to all the team building, feel good, corporate events it sponsors for free for current employees. That would be, per year, let me see, zero. Oh yes, they also invite spouses and families.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yes, my Megacorp invites retirees to all the team building, feel good, corporate events it sponsors for free for current employees. That would be, per year, let me see, zero. Oh yes, they also invite spouses and families.
Yea I get that tooo! Thanks for making my day!!!!! They alway include the spouses thing when I was there(not) why would it change?

Thanks again,

HA HA , MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My ex company has a fairly active alumni group. I was fairly good friends with the founder of the organization so I have been fairly active in it. They put on events roughly every other month and I try and attend one or two a year in conjunction with other reasons to visit the mainland.

The company doesn't currently have any formal involvement in the alumni group.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #9

My previous firm has an alumni association and all former staff members are invited to join (no cost involved). It's primarily intended for networking, but there are the very occasional social events and you get opportunities to get involved in charity work. Since I currently work for a competitor, I have joined by only used it to keep in touch with a few friends.

My current firm does not currently have such a programme but is talking about setting one up. Since I will have a very part time arrangement with them until the end of 2014, I will (not) worry about it after that.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I worked for several companies as staff before I went contract.

I have friends all over the world from places I have worked. I keep current with most of them.

Many of the companies I have worked for are gone, even the good ones.

Your experience is very different from mine. Your future may be the same as mine--if you are lucky.

Best of luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

I'm a gov't contractor, and our employer tends to change every 5 years or so. I rarely go to company events anyway, so I don't know how they treat retirees. I have noticed some gov't people tend to stick together, and keep in touch after they retire.

I used to think, awhile back, that some of these people would be my friends for a long, long time. But, times change, people change. Most of the people I've known over the years who have retired have simply disappeared and moved on.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #12

The University/DOE Lab I worked for has a retirement association that keeps us pretty well integrated with the university. We have a lot of events targeted to the retirees but few invitations to semi-regular events for the employees. However, if we happen to know about a picnic or something else we are prevented from attending.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nope, and don't want to be... Of course, I was forcibly retired, as were most of the folks I worked with.

There is an alumni group, but I'm not in it. I do, however, graciously accept their subsidized health insurance!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Being a retired university professor I am included in invitations for retiree luncheons hosted by the president (who doesn't know me from squat!!!) and openings of new facilities. The university also invites the retirees to a cookout during the year along with all other staff who are currently working.

I have never once gone back to any of these functions. Life goes on, and I believe that I would feel terribly out of place. I always felt these people were, at best, my working associates and certainly not friends I wanted to pal around with. prof12
prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote