Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: After you shave your face, do you...
Use an alcohol based after shave 11 10.68%
Use a non-alcohol after shave balm/lotion 15 14.56%
Just splash with cold water or jump in the shower 30 29.13%
Nothing or other 47 45.63%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i have found that shaving cream/soap is not needed either. I shave just as close and smooth with little burn using water and the new fangled multi-blade razor with the slime strip. Or maybe it is the slippery water that comes out my tap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use The Original Mane 'N Tail Moisturizer-Texturizer on both my face and hair (the few that I have). It's great stuff. Ask any horse.

For survey purposes I voted non-alcoholic, even though Mane 'N Tail does contain a minute amount of alcohol per the ingredient list.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I buzz my face a few times a week with my 15 YO Norelco while cruzing the E-R threads. I get most of the stubble. What I miss I will probably get next time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
shave in the shower...stick my face under the shower head to get excess soap off. That's it.
+1
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hai Karate!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Basis soap bar pre-shave
Aveeno sensitive skin shaving cream
Gillette Fusion blade
Curel moistening cream after shaving

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #27

I try to shave (before my morning run) with the electric, but at that hour of the morning, I often forget. When I forget on a weekday, I usually figure it out when I'm in the shower and just shave in the shower, using a blade and shaving cream, or sometimes hair conditioner if I'm at the gym or have run out.

That said, I "must" have an alcohol based aftershave or my face feels horrible. I've tried the balms, but they only give me pimples if I use it after shaving. Fr a long time, I used the expensive aftershaves that I would buy at the duty free shops in airports. I have a little of that left, but only use it occasionally. I found some $4.50 Gillette aftershave at Wally world and use that most of the time. I also have a 32 oz bottle of Sea Breeze we bought for the kids about 5 years ago, so I use that after the electric razor. When I don't have any cheap aftershave, I use rubbing alcohol...also from Wally world for about 98 cents a bottle. I don't drink, but I gotta have the alcohol on my face after shaving.

R
Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #28

Current what-ever blade razor, Gillette Foamy, and then cold water (or less warm around here in the Summer; pipes are shallow due to lack of freezing in Winter so 110 degrees heats up the ground and the tap water.) Never could do a decent job in the shower with shaving...I have a mustache so not seeing what I am doing is not conducive to keeping it level. Also, DW tends to use my razor if I leave it in plain sight to shave her barbed wire leg hair which will dull a blade very quickly.

Have not used after shave since I was in High School.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

A guy I used to work with was notorious for going heavy on the aftershave. He reeked of cologne. It was quite nauseating.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The only time alcohol hits my face is after 5-6 meds. Which is rare.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
A guy I used to work with was notorious for going heavy on the aftershave. He reeked of cologne. It was quite nauseating.
I understand and feel the same way about women who "overuse" perfume or other "sense enhancements".

I'm one of probably only a small part of the male population that gets ill from perfume use - usually by older women (and in close places, such as resturants/church/etc.)

As a young child of the 50's, I would feel ill over the combo of aftershave, perfume, cigars, and cigarettes in a public, enclosed place. Smelling any perfume these days (since indoor smoking is not allowed in most public places) still remind me of those days, decades ago and tend to make a most digusting experience for me...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
shave in the shower...stick my face under the shower head to get excess soap off. That's it.
+1. But, I started using the Wallyworld liquid face soap ("compare to Cetaphil") when the regular bar soap started irritating my skin (eyelids, etc). Gillette Sensor razor.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #33

Those who've spent any time in the 'Magic Kingdom' can relate to this:

Younger Saudi men, of the 'yuppie' type, tend to douse themselves with aftershave, (stores sell LARGE bottles of the stuff), to the point that, were you to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of them you'd likely expire through lack of oxygen.

So........my late wife and I, (late 1980s), were sitting in a back-loading airport shuttle, heading from the Sofitel to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, when a familiar odor wafted up from the entrance......followed by three swarthy guys in business suits.

A lady at the front of the bus turned around and asked them if they were with the hotel......to which I piped out "No, they're Saudis".

It was standing room only on the bus by that time, and the three were right next to me..."How you know we're Saudi?" they asked......"I just know", I replied.

All the way to the terminal they jabbered amongst themselves in Arabic...."Yadda, yadda yadda - Saudi - yadda yadda Saudi".....with glances at us every time.

I never did tell them that I could smell them a block away.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. This confirms that alcohol based after shaves have lost their dominance, as I expected, never made sense to me to shock my face with something so drying. I've been using non-alcohol balms for many years, started expensive and now just grocery store Nivea or whatever is cheap. Sometimes shave just before a shower and use nothing. I may have reached the point that I'll just go with cold water.

I have one bottle of expensive alcohol based after shave/cologne, used to have several. At the rate I use it, I will probably have to put it in my will. Thanks folks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I'm one of probably only a small part of the male population that gets ill from perfume use
There's probably quite a few of us.
One of the things I love about DW is that she's willing to indulge me in this little foible.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #36

I've had a beard for 36 years and shave my neck about once a week. I've owned 3 bottles of after shave/cologne for more years than I can remember. I rarely use one so they should last for the rest of my life. Oh yeah, the bottles don't say if they contain alcohol.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

ohhhhh....must resist...

Why?? Spoilsport
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Me three. My j*b has a casual work environment, and I'm not a particularly hairy guy, so I generally only shave 2-3 times per week.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Why?? Spoilsport
........nope, not gonna do it......

Shifting the conversation just a tad...I do have to admit I love a hint of after shave on a man. It makes my toes curl.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Never did like after shave. Smelled nice but the alchohol irrated my skin. I just use my electric Norelco shaver and get a nice, clean shave every morning.