Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: After you shave your face, do you...
Use an alcohol based after shave 11 10.68%
Use a non-alcohol after shave balm/lotion 15 14.56%
Just splash with cold water or jump in the shower 30 29.13%
Nothing or other 47 45.63%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Those who've spent any time in the 'Magic Kingdom' can relate to this:

Younger Saudi men, of the 'yuppie' type, tend to douse themselves with aftershave, (stores sell LARGE bottles of the stuff), to the point that, were you to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of them you'd likely expire through lack of oxygen.

So........my late wife and I, (late 1980s), were sitting in a back-loading airport shuttle, heading from the Sofitel to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, when a familiar odor wafted up from the entrance......followed by three swarthy guys in business suits.

A lady at the front of the bus turned around and asked them if they were with the hotel......to which I piped out "No, they're Saudis".

It was standing room only on the bus by that time, and the three were right next to me..."How you know we're Saudi?" they asked......"I just know", I replied.

All the way to the terminal they jabbered amongst themselves in Arabic...."Yadda, yadda yadda - Saudi - yadda yadda Saudi".....with glances at us every time.

I never did tell them that I could smell them a block away.
I'll bet it was cologne. Regular aftershave (such as Old Spice) really shouldn't smell much at all after the first minute or two.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'll bet it was cologne. Regular aftershave (such as Old Spice) really shouldn't smell much at all after the first minute or two.
In my opinion, Old Spice is the WORST!!! Its stink is so overpowering, and not just for the first minute or two, either. On second thought I wonder - - maybe I am allergic/sensitive to it. I can tell someone wears Old Spice before he even enters the room, and it impairs my breathing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Nothing or other" is my answer.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Bay Rum aftershave.
Few years ago I had been reminiscing about going to the barber as a kid and the joy of the shave around the ears, bay rum, and whisk with the long bristled whisk. My gal bought an old, partially used bottle of Bay Rum on Ebay for me for Christmas. Understand the sense of smell is the strongest evocative of memory. "Superior Bay Rum, put up by G.C. Taylor Company, Prop. of Taylor's Oil of Life, Fairport N.Y."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1700.jpg (336.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In my opinion, Old Spice is the WORST!!! Its stink is so overpowering, and not just for the first minute or two, either. On second thought I wonder - - maybe I am allergic/sensitive to it. I can tell someone wears Old Spice before he even enters the room, and it impairs my breathing.
Maybe it's a specific allergy. My young wife has a very sensitive nose and an overwhelming distaste for perfume/cologne. So sensitive that we need to sneak into the department store in the side entrances away from the cosmetic stations at the front entrance. Yet she has never had a problem with Old Spice (which I used for about the first ten years of our marriage) or Bay Rum (which I have used for the last 17 years).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Use Clubman's Aftershave Lotion on the weekends: reminds me of the barbershop. Otherwise, it is rinse with warm water and go the rest of the week.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At a family Christmas gathering a few years ago, a member of DH's family gifted him a little bottle of Bay Rum after shave. Have to admit, it smells pretty awesome. At least to this kitty, purrs
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Few years ago I had been reminiscing about going to the barber as a kid and the joy of the shave around the ears, bay rum, and whisk with the long bristled whisk. My gal bought an old, partially used bottle of Bay Rum on Ebay for me for Christmas. Understand the sense of smell is the strongest evocative of memory. "Superior Bay Rum, put up by G.C. Taylor Company, Prop. of Taylor's Oil of Life, Fairport N.Y."
I love getting the back of my neck shaved with the straight razor when I go to the barbershop.

The Bay Rum that I get is found here -- Bay Rum Aftershave
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a few bottles that I received as gifts. I tried it once or twice. The bottles just sit there.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast
I have a few bottles that I received as gifts. I tried it once or twice. The bottles just sit there.
Ditto. I looked up the ingredients, and dropped the bottles off at a local hazardous waste collection along with some other nasty items. Eccch! Oh, and DS had left some Axe products here. Those went, too. That stuff will curl toes, and not in a good way.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Ditto. I looked up the ingredients, and dropped the bottles off at a local hazardous waste collection along with some other nasty items. Eccch! Oh, and DS had left some Axe products here. Those went, too. That stuff will curl toes, and not in a good way.

Sounds like the kind of thing you want to have handy when you need personal grooming, disinfectant and fuel for the car but don''t have enough storage for all three.

How does it taste with lime and salt?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #52

Well, first I usually wash the old face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub.
Then, I shave (every day) with a Gillette Fusion razor. I use either Nivea or Aveeno shaving cream. The aftershave: Aqua Velva. Started using it in high school and have been pretty darn faithful to it. I tried Old Spice for about a two-week period. Hated it. Occasionally I will use Pinaud, but I've really been an Aqua Velva guy for about 50+ years. Who says I can't do a long-term relationship?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #53

I'm a Lilac Vegetal man! "A sweet creation with fragrant notes of lilac softened with a warm musk that together offer that old barbershop smell."

Thats good, right?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
I'm a Lilac Vegetal man! "A sweet creation with fragrant notes of lilac softened with a warm musk that together offer that old barbershop smell."

Thats good, right?
Better than you can even imagine.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #55

After Shave - Ewww, reminds me of old men. Very negative connotations.