Join Early Retirement Today

Age 68 and No Gray Hair
Old 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Age 68 and No Gray Hair

I think my hair is unusual. I am female, age 68 and have no gray hair. My hair is not great--it is dark brown, fine and gets oily, I have to wash it every day, and it grows very slowly. The only real positive thing about my hair is the color.

I think the no gray thing is inherited. My father who died in his 60s had hair just like mine and no gray. My mother and my 2 younger sister, on the other hand, went gray fairly early (but both of my sisters color their hair). My father's ancestors are from Ireland, I did a little research and found some studies that show Irish people get gray later in life.

The lady who cuts my hair says she would go broke if everyone had hair like mine--no gray and slow to grow.

I actually had a friend recently say to me that I should quit coloring my hair and let it go gray naturally and she did not believe I did not color it.

Anybody else out there that is late 60s with no gray? I am just wondering how unusual this is.

harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got white streaks in my front hair at age 35, and promptly decided bangs were a good idea.

At 59 I still have some dark brown hair, and some dark blond hair, but plenty of white/light gray in front that often looks more light blond. Some people compliment me on my hair coloring, LOL!

Old 09-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a 59 yo male with no gray head hair but mustache and beard come in Santa Claus white.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

DW is 63 and literally has 4 gray hairs, so essentially no gray.

Me OTOH, my “gray highlights” have completely taken over...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I'm a 59 yo male with no gray head hair but mustache and beard come in Santa Claus white.
I was Dirty Blond until about 65 and then it turned gray . But....If I grow a "stash" now, it's red (so I don't go there).

Father was a redhead and was nicknamed "Red" . Both daughters are redheads. (and beautiful)

No one went bald in this bloodline too!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was Dirty Blond until about 65 and then it turned gray . But....If I grow a "stash" now, it's red (so I don't go there).

Father was a redhead and was nicknamed "Red" . Both daughters are redheads. (and beautiful)

No one went bald in this bloodline too!
I'm lucky on that front also.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

DW is 64. Had been coloring her hair for years and decided to stop. It actually looks much better. There is some grey, but mostly auburn. Just makes her hair look lighter. Me, on the other hand, had dark brown hair and a reddish beard when we met. Now, if I grow the beard long, I could play Santa real easy.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

Mine is ~50% gray. The other half is colorless (as in gone). You would think my barber would only charge me half price for a hair cut... Not the case.
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

To OP. Yes, Mom and maternal grandmother had no gray hair into 70's and 80's. Ethnicity, appears to be mostly English and Irish. I don't have a tremendous amount but more than mom and grandmother.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #10

No gray hair here either. It's white.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #11

I have had a buzz cut since I was 16 but when it gets 3 weeks of growth there has been noticeable greys since around age 35. I'm too frugal to ever dye it. What do I care if i'm all grey by 50. No big deal.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My grandmother had brown hair in her mid 60's . She was irish . My younger sister who is 65 has very little gray hair . I am not sure how much gray I have as I color it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Age 67 here with just a very little gray in the front area. Like one of the other posters mentioned.....at age 60, I also had health related "treatments". I was told my hair might all fall out. It didn't all go down the drain, but got VERY thin. Before treatments, I had medium brown hair and it was pretty straight with a little 'body' to it. After treatments when my hair started filling back in, it was a darker brown than before and, get this: it came in curly in the back and remained straight with body in the front. I had always had thick hair and after a year, it was probably just as thick as before. So I think the new darker shade was a 'set-back' from my hair going gray. The curls in the back have gone away, but my hair remains darker with little gray. My sisters and sisters-in-law are amazed.....as they continue to color their hair!
Momcpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will be 66 in a couple months and I don't think I have any gray. I am very blonde and have never colored my hair. But I'm also not sure I would notice any stray gray hairs either so they may very well be there and I just don't notice them.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #15

If you're looking for GrayHare I can help.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Age 64. I have gray temples with gray ‘highlights’ elsewhere. DW keeps her blond hair with a little bit of help.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I started getting gray in my 40s.
badatmath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #18

Wow! That is amazing no gray at 68. I started graying early 50's and now at 62 I'm completely gray/white. I trim my hair to 1/2 inch in length.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I started graying early 50's and now at 62 I'm completely gray/white. I trim my hair to 1/2 inch in length.
Same here, except I didn't start graying until the late 60's - 1960's that is. Had my first gray hairs while still in my teens and went slowly through the salt n pepper phase until I was completely gray, once again in my 60's. Thankfully it turned gray, not loose.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No gray hair here either. It's white.
+1 And I happen to like it this way! So why not. I earned every single one of those white hairs.