Join Early Retirement Today

Ageism
Old 07-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ageism

Since there are so many of us baby boomers and the vast majority are not yet retired (if some will ever even be able to retire), it would seem to me that we would be desirable as customers, both due to the numbers and the income/net worth of many. But I just read a restaurant writeup in Atlanta magazine that quoted the owner as explaining why she changed her restaurant from a fancy, fairly upscale special occasion restaurant: "I was tired of seeing slowly aging people coming in to celebrate their anniversaries." It is now more of a bistro, with smaller plates and somewhat reduced prices. Not getting great reviews.

I could understand if a restaurant owner doesn't want just a special occasion restaurant where people just come in once a year. Regular customers may spend less per visit, but more over the course of a year.
But why the dig about "slowly aging?" I understand that people in their fifties and sixties are not as hip and cutting edge as younger people, but are we really that undesirable? It's not like we all have blue hair and walkers!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
I understand that people in their fifties and sixties are not as hip and cutting edge as younger people, but are we really that undesirable? It's not like we all have blue hair and walkers!
Your prejudices are showing too. In America, it is hard not to be afraid of the aged.

About restaurants. Many midle aged or older people don't go out much; and when they do they tend to be cheap. It's young people who frequent bars and trendy restaurants. Sizzler and Morrisons will do for us oldsters!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the problem was age ... it was the "fancy, fairly upscale" part. Around here, the fairly upscale restaurants are only filled with folks on expense accounts like the oil company executives who work across the street from the restaurants.

The restaurants that we go to are filled with all ages: teenagers on dates, young families, older couples, older families, and oil company executives, etc.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that they make a LOT of their money on those high priced drinks.... and older folks don't drink that much.... the young uns have no problem throwing down 3 to 6 $7 to $10 drinks before eating... the check size is a lot different...

And I would think that the young uns would want to also get out so they can continue at the bar or rave or whatever and clear the table for another round... where those old folks are there to celebrate and hang around more so you don't get another seating at that table...

Just a wild guess on my part...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have some loyalty programs here where they give you a free bottle of wine when you came in and celebrate birthday and anniversary. We always go.

But they also make money on working lunches and after work crowds. That is the key to success. Sports bars and hip bars with bands also make out very well.

But we have one restaurent that caters to blue hair. Their food is simple and good and they serve from 5 until 10pm, They are always full because the people are regulars.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But we have one restaurent that caters to blue hair. Their food is simple and good and they serve from 5 until 10pm, They are always full because the people are regulars.
We have one a few blocks away, that is like that, except they open daily at 5am, and close at 9pm. They're busy...usually a small waiting line....from open until close. Good food (and lots of it), good prices, good service, and the kitchen is fast! If the place is absolutely jam packed, you might have to wait 10 minutes for your food after you order, unless it's something like fried chicken which will obviously take longer.

You can get a full blown turkey dinner....turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, mashed taters, gravy, veggies, salad, dinner rolls, AND desert, for about $8.50. And they give you HUGE portions! If you'd like wine with that....add 50 cents!

The age groups they get run the gamut from high school kids to the ancient quite elderly. And for the seniors, if they want something but are concerned that the portion will be to big for them, all they have to do is say so and they'll cut the portion down....as well as the price!!! If the person is a shut-in, or the weather or their health is keeping them house bound, one of the owners will deliver the food to their home.....and they don't have to pay for it until the next time they come in to eat. (no charge for delivery)

The owners also have been known to drive their "regulars" to funerals or weddings, that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to attend. And I'm talking about driving them to Chicago, which is about 90 miles away. The owners, if they hear about it, OFFER to drive....they don't wait to be asked! And they do it for FREE.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

We have a restaurant down the street from us that caters to the seniors .The bar is always filled with single seniors having a great time ( those old pick up lines still work ).Good food ,reasonable prices and cheap drinks .They are always busy .The shrimp special is $10.99 ( huge amount of shrimp with coleslaw and red bliss potatoes ) add a glass of wine for $2.00 and It's a cheap night out .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

"But why the dig about "slowly aging?" I understand that people in their fifties and sixties are not as hip and cutting edge as younger people, but are we really that undesirable?"

Why not consider the possibilty that this person just made an awkward idiotic remark, rather than seeing it as some sign that the marketplace is excommunicating an entire generation? While she is stuck with what she said, you certainly aren't.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am 56 and I know I'm not "hip" but I like to keep up with the trends. Not so much living the trendy life (hardly) but, just in knowing what is happening to others that do live the trendy life. I guess I feel that I won't be as likely to be stuck in time. So many older people (older than me) just seem stuck. Of couse that might just be me since I live in the midwest in a rather stuck state. New stuff keeps me alive...and I know I need to start being alive again...so gotta find me some new stuff.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm...

Stuck... in stuck state... seeking stuff.

Sounds significantly sad.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

It happens to the younger folks, too.
starter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I took my SO to a restaurant for an um over-sixty-something birthday. They treated us so well, we are now regulars.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote