Ah..Good Old, Sturdy Metal Build

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I picked up an old exercise bicycle from a friend of the family. She's going to move soon and for her the bike was just an eyesore. The bike was one made by Sears, about 10 years old. I'm going give that to a sister who wants one.

The thing I noticed most was how nice and sturdy the exercise bike is. None of the hard plastic that we see in almost everything today :)

I don't have a picture of the bike, as had to disassemble it partially to fit in my tiny car.

The really great thing that I've noticed about exercise bikes is that they never seem to wear out. :cool:

Even new exercise bikes - just like real, traveling bicycles - still have a lot of metal. As does any heavy-duty equipment. This is why good exercise equipment is expensive, and why you should run away from bargain equipment, which will collapse or break under serious use.

Nice of you to go to all that trouble for your sister! :)

Amethyst

The bike was one made by Sears, about 10 years old. ....

The thing I noticed most was how nice and sturdy the exercise bike is. None of the hard plastic that we see in almost everything today :)

The really great thing that I've noticed about exercise bikes is that they never seem to wear out. :cool:

+1 I've noticed that too. We've had one for at least 10 years and it looks and works as good as it did when we bought it. I probably get more exercise moving it around (when it gets in the way) than I do riding it.:LOL:

There is a lot of junk in the exercise eqipment field, but some some things are really good. My former wife bought a Precor exercise bike when she was pregnant with our first baby, also used it with #2, and she still uses it. Older son will have his 35th birthhday this summer. The expensive spin bikes are also excellent, but well over $1000.

I think it would be impossible for one person is his lifetime to wear out a concept 2 Model D or E rower. I clean the slide on mine every use, lube the chain quarterly, and that is about it. I suppose the computer might go, but not the mechanical parts.

Ha

Yep, that's what every one I know of uses them for.
That's funny. Most people I know use what they buy, if it is well chosen.

I love mine. If I want to stay home and watch basketball, or just read, having an exercise machine to hop on intermittantly makes staying home less guilt inducing.

I have always tended to feel lazy and useless if I weren't being physically active, but the machine, in my case a rower, helps a lot. Also great in winter when it is just ugly outside. I'm getting close to 3000km in just a little over 18 months

Ha

Neighbor had a garage sale 5-6 years ago. I went over to help her put the non-sold stuff back in her garage and she had a 1970's Huffy exercise bike that was very basic. Had a $5 tag on it and I got it for $2. Cleaned it up, sanded any rust, and painted it with rustoleum. Used it off and on. Wife got into a bad swelling leg problem with celluitus and varicose veins, so I drug it in off the front porch and cleaned it up again, and she's been riding it. Works great. Beats driving somewhere and paying a membership to do basically the same thing.

...... Works great. Beats driving somewhere and paying a membership to do basically the same thing.

My neighbors pay for a lawn service and also pay for a gym membership. Me, I just hand mow my own lawn. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom