Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Ahem: Navy 46, Notre Dame 44, triple overtime.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ahem: Navy 46, Notre Dame 44, triple overtime.

The last time I gave a crap about football games was nearly 30 years ago, when the existence of my liberty (and my quality of life) was directly linked to the performance of the Navy football team. I haven't really followed college or professional sports since then, unless it's the business antics of the leagues. I can't even tell you who's in the WAC or the PAC or the whatevers.

But I wish to call attention to naval history being made yesterday. The last time Navy beat ND, the QB was a scrawny little guy named Staubach. Here's a local slant on the event, since the Navy QB is a graduate of Kapolei High:
starbulletin.com | Sports | /2007/11/04/

In the 1980s the ND defensive front four used to darn near outweigh the entire Navy defensive line. During one of the games when I was a midshipman, ND's guys broke Navy player Jeff Shoemake's leg in three places. They were awfully nice about it and visited him in the hospital afterward, but the fact remained that one of Navy's "biggest" players was chewed up and spit out like he'd visited a meat grinder.

I thought that beating ND would make the winning team automatically eligible for a bowl game, but apparently everyone is beating ND this year. Good thing Navy was able to pull off a victory, especially for the sake of the Navy coach.

Our kid is considering applying to both of these schools. I wonder if she's thought about the consequences of being in ND's ROTC program if Navy ever beats ND again... or of being a Navy plebe if ND ever resumes their winning ways.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Administrator

I broke my usual rule of watching only the Army-Navy game and watched this one. What a great day!

When I was a plebe at USNA in 1977, I rode the bus out to South Bend for the game. The people there were awfully nice to us Midshipmen (since they knew they were going to win). They invited us to their tailgate parties and introduced us to their families and such. The game itself was, as expected, a blowout. Led by a talented Junior quarterback named Joe Montana, the national champion Irish mopped the floor with us, 45-7.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sooner or later Notre Dame will find a coach that can win. And please, when they fire the current guy, do not repeat the debacle of sending send him to Washington.

But for now, congratulations to Navy!

Ha
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
ND should hide in shame. Especially since Deleware hung 59 points on Navy last week!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I broke my usual rule of watching only the Army-Navy game and watched this one. What a great day!

When I was a plebe at USNA in 1977, I rode the bus out to South Bend for the game. The people there were awfully nice to us Midshipmen (since they knew they were going to win). They invited us to their tailgate parties and introduced us to their families and such. The game itself was, as expected, a blowout. Led by a talented Junior quarterback named Joe Montana, the national champion Irish mopped the floor with us, 45-7.
FWIW, I wore red in South Bend for the Nebraska - Notre Dame game in 2000. My Huskers were expected to win, and we were still treated well before, during, and after the overtime win. I'm not sure there's a better place to watch football. I pretty much ceased being a Notre Dame hater from that day forward, though I don't mind seeing their weekly losses continue this year.

But let's not talk about Nebraska football this year, please.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sooner or later Notre Dame will find a coach that can win. And please, when they fire the current guy, do not repeat the debacle of sending send him to Washington.
Maybe the Patriots will take him back.

YEEHAH PATS!

Thats right Peyton, put your helmet back on at the end so nobody can see you crying like a little girl!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote