Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Air America and Bias in the media
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Like confusing "politician" with "statesman"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think you're confusing "TV newscasters" with "journalists"...
Only by a small matter of degree .

Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #23

as with so many things, when a political meme takes hold (journalism, health care) I find myself posting about it on 2 fronts: here, and with Right-Wing Sis. Pursuant to her defense of the particularly annoying Hugh Hewitt regarding HIS bias-in-the-media crusade, I found some gold in unexpected places:

Quote:
... That the media were biased against the Reagan Administration is an article of faith among Republicans. Yet James Baker, perhaps the most media-savvy of them, owned up to the fact that any such complaint was decidedly misplaced. "There were days and times and events we might have had some complaints [but] on balance I don't think we had anything to complain about," he explained to one writer. Patrick Buchanan, among the most conservative pundits and presidential candidates in Republican history, found that he could not identify any allegedly liberal bias against him during his presidential candidacies. "I've gotten balanced coverage, and broad coverage--all we could have asked. For heaven sakes, we kid about the 'liberal media,' but every Republican on earth does that," the aspiring American ayatollah cheerfully confessed during the 1996 campaign. And even William Kristol, without a doubt the most influential Republican/neoconservative publicist in America today, has come clean on this issue. "I admit it," he told a reporter. "The liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." Nevertheless, Kristol apparently feels no compunction about exploiting and reinforcing the ignorant prejudices of his own constituency. In a 2001 pitch to conservative potential subscribers to his Rupert Murdoch-funded magazine, Kristol complained, "The trouble with politics and political coverage today is that there's too much liberal bias.... There's too much tilt toward the left-wing agenda. Too much apology for liberal policy failures. Too much pandering to liberal candidates and causes." (It's a wonder he left out "Too much hypocrisy.")
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20030224/alterman2

Now I dare anyone to come up with a more belligerent, hawkish, red-meat, conservative than Bill Kristol. I double-dare you. I double-dog dare you. But he's not dumb; he KNOWS AND ADMITS the 'media-is-liberal' canard is "an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures."

This article was written in 2003 but only gets truer by the day... the more conservatives stumble and falter, the more "liberal" the media magically gets... Worth a read for those whose taste for Kool-Aid has waned.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #24

Another worthwhile bit from the above article:
Quote:
In a careful 1999 study published in the academic journal Communications Research, four scholars examined the use of the "liberal media" argument and discovered a fourfold increase in the number of Americans telling pollsters that they discerned a liberal bias in their news. But a review of the media's actual ideological content, collected and coded over a twelve-year period, offered no corroboration whatever for this view. The obvious conclusion: News consumers were responding to "increasing news coverage of liberal bias media claims, which have been increasingly emanating from Republican Party candidates and officials."
Go to the Media Matters site, which used to track right-wing and left-wing guests on news analysis shows: frequently there are "debates" among a Republican, a Republican, a Republican, a moderate Republican and a moderate Democrat who ends up taking all the crap. I think it's just like the frog boiling and people no longer notice what's right in front of their noses.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

While I disagree strongly with NPR's liberal bias, I think they are about the only radio news/commentary worth listening to because they will actually devote enough time to a story to put it into a contextual framework. The print media does a better job of news coverage than either TV or radio--less sensational, more thoughtful and deliberate. I wish more people would take the time to read.

When I was a kid, there were just three TV network news broadcasts, and everyone got their TV news that way. The networks didn't (markedly) specialize by political viewpoint, since they were all trying to get as many viewers from across the spectrum as possible. As a result, the public got a rather uniform exposure to the news of the day. People certainly differed in ther interpretation of the events reported, but everyone started from a fairly common base of information. Today, with the plethora of broadcast and cable TV outlets, people tend to watch what they most agree with (as astromeria points out). People try to reduce cognitive dissonance by shopping for the "most comfortable" news. The broadcasts frequently cover entirely different events, or the same event with markedly different spin. It makes it very hard to build a national consensus on any issue when people can't even agree on the baseline information.

And, don't even get me started on Fox "news." "We break now for extended all-day coverage of a breaking story in Houston. A window washer is hanging from a rope caught around his leg after a scaffolding accident just minutes ago. . . we'll be covering this highly important voyeuristic eye-candy story throughout the day, along with breaking news on the Natallie Holloway case in Aruba."
Old 11-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Heh, and don't forget the Fox "News" so-called accidents, like putting Mark Foley on with "D" (for Democrat) next to his name once the scandal broke. They did this more than once.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have Air America here in Seattle and I've listened to it a couple of times - I always thought it was funny to hear that kind of programming from progressives.

I think the "problem" with that kind of radio is this: most liberals are just that, liberal. We believe others are entitled to their opinions and don't particularly feel like getting bent out of shape when other people do something we don't like. Of course this administration has pushed me too far, I don't think they have what is best for America on their agendas - but unlike "dittoheads" etc. I don't like to get all worked up everyday about some trivial issue that takes away from the overall goal of being a better person.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
but unlike "dittoheads" etc. I don't like to get all worked up everyday about some trivial issue that takes away from the overall goal of being a better person.
Agreed, except for when I am falling asleep behind the wheel.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Foley is a Democrat! He's always been a Democrat, and he has been masquerading as a Republican for years. All that time waiting to drop his little scandalous email timebomb and torpedo the GOP just prior to a critical election. I think I heard this on talk radio.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Good one! That is the one thing these radio stations are good for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Foley is a Democrat! He's always been a Democrat, and he has been masquerading as a Republican for years. All that time waiting to drop his little scandalous email timebomb and torpedo the GOP just prior to a critical election. I think I heard this on talk radio.
That would be pretty wild, but he should have done it in 2004!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So........you compose your posts from behind the wheel??
Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
So........you compose your posts from behind the wheel??
Ah, I see we now have a suspect for originator of the "most negative poster" topic...

- Will Rogers
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, I see we now have a suspect for originator of the "most negative poster" topic...
Uhhhhh.......what did I miss?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Uhhhhh.......what did I miss?
Never mind. REW wouldn't let us see it anyway.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Everybody know that. Fox couldn't show it if it wasn't true, could they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foleyoreailly.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Foleyoreailly.jpg_thumb (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #36

This afternoon's top 3 stories:

WASHINGTON POST
-- World's Seafood Stock Depleting
-- Scandals Test GOP House Reign
-- Murder Alleged in California Wildfires

NEW YORK TIMES
-- With election driven by Iraq, voters want new approach
-- Former software executive receives 12-year sentence
-- Tending a fallen marine with skill, prayer, and fury

FOX NEWS
-- Suspect Charged in Wildfire Arson
-- Tom Cruise new Top Gun at Studio
-- GOP Targeting 'Blame America' Dems
Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=TromboneAl ]

T. Al:
"On the radio on the BBC World News, this story was very bigGlobal Warming)

They mentioned that the story was a big deal in Europe but not covered much in the U.S. press. NBC Nightly News didn't cover it at all.

Is the U.S. Media just tired of global warming or is there something else?"

Corporate Oligarchy. It's not total but infuses our culture and politics.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Mr._johngalt ]

Let's hope it's a real short time. 8)
Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the biggest problem in mainstream American media is it's partnership with big business and by that I mean, it's total dependency on advertising. I don't see how you can have objective reporting if you are concerned about losing a sponsor. The coverage of the invasion and killing of Iraqi civilians makes my point. Reports have ranked civilians death as a direct result of American intervention anywhere from 30,000 to 200,000. How much of that was covered in the American media? Where was the outcry? I am a big fan of the BBC. They report the news straight and covers the globe indepth. Does anyone know why? Check out how BBC is funded?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by disEntropy Greg
Only by a small matter of degree .
Exactly.