Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What brand unit did you go with?

I went with Comfortmaker .It's now made by Carrier. It was formerly made by ICP which is the brand Dawg recommened .I also had bad luck with a Trane unit . It had major problems in the first four years . Dealing with air conditioner guys is akin to cars salesman . You just have to hope you got a decent deal . I ended up paying a little over $5,000 for a 5 ton 14 seer unit that has the two fans. That includes all installation including a crane to remove my other unit and set this in place . My air conditioner is 17 ' off the ground . It comes with a ten year warranty and with any luck I'll have sold this house way before then.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

My house is also about 2500 sq ft and I replaced a 4 ton unit about 2 years ago which was about 18 years old. I decided to go to up to a 5 ton unit as the house never cooled well in the summer when we had a crowd of people over. I live in South Florida so A/C is everything in the summer. I saw an immediate saving in my bill.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I had the new air conditioner installed today and after I paid the bill the installer kept hanging around . I assume he was hinting for a tip. I did not take the bait . Was I cheap and if you do tip how much would you tip ? Even 10% seems high for a job he's getting paid to do .
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he liked ya!

I've heard that some of these guys try to get a tip. Unless they make me some lunch and a cocktail or did something extra without charging me, I dont think so...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Should I Tip Installation Technicians - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would be surprised (and not pleasantly so) if he did not have his "tip" already built in. This was the middle estimate, was it not?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I would be surprised (and not pleasantly so) if he did not have his "tip" already built in. This was the middle estimate, was it not?

No , it was the low estimate and the installer did not give the estimate the salesman did . My other two estimates were 1,000 more . That is a heck of a tip !
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Tip? Heck no. Does anyone tip a roofer, plumber, car mechanic, etc...for work they do? I know I haven't. Maybe that is another reason I'm a COB.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you should read up over at hvac-talk for a while. Those guys think they're skill levels are equivalent to MD's and that the customer should just pick them and fork over their money before they have to do any work, since the average customer is just going to 'use their bid' to drive other guys down.

That was close to my experience. Several of the companies I asked to bid never told me what they would install or how much it'd be until I was 'ready to do business'.

Funny bunch.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Maybe you should read up over at hvac-talk for a while. Those guys think they're skill levels are equivalent to MD's and that the customer should just pick them and fork over their money before they have to do any work, since the average customer is just going to 'use their bid' to drive other guys down.

That was close to my experience. Several of the companies I asked to bid never told me what they would install or how much it'd be until I was 'ready to do business'.

Funny bunch.

No, things must be slow in Florida because they were really willing to deal . I got three bids and this was the best .The company that was doing the maintenance on my other unit said they could not match this price .They came on time installed the unit and did not look like they were dragged from rehab to do the work so I'm happy . They may be sad because I did not tip but oh well .
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Funny bunch.
Well I don't pay a doctor a tip so I sure as hell wouldn't pay these friggers one.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, depends on his looks....

Ah, who am I kidding, I'm too cheap to tip someone like that...and too dumb to know that I'm "supposed" to.

Guess I don't get out much.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
installed the unit
Take some pictures and post them!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm, depends on his looks....

Ah, who am I kidding, I'm too cheap to tip someone like that...and too dumb to know that I'm "supposed" to.

Guess I don't get out much.
Actually he was kind of cute but I still was not taking the bait !
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Take some pictures and post them!

The only problem with taking pictures is they had to bring a crane to remove my old unit and replace the new one . It is 17' up because my house is elevated . That added $350 to the cost . I do have a picture of the installer (he's cute ) because I just got a new digital camera and was trying it out .
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

You know, it's really simple....the guys just need to try harder....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
because I just got a new digital camera and was trying it out .
Eh heh.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The only problem with taking pictures is they had to bring a crane to remove my old unit and replace the new one . It is 17' up because my house is elevated . That added $350 to the cost . I do have a picture of the installer (he's cute ) because I just got a new digital camera and was trying it out .
Good thing thefed didn't see you "trying out" your new camera on a cute guy
Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg the fed signal.jpg (24.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Okay here is my picture . I missed his face but I did get his assests !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clothes 356.jpg (519.3 KB, 2 views)