Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Since I always seem to screw things up regarding service people are there any questions I should be asking these guys?
Since they installed the system and were aware of the recall, my first question to them would be "why didn't you tell me about this recall?" They knew they had installed an affected unit, but you wouldn't have been able to get it replaced if it had started stinking after the cutoff date of the class action suit (if it has one).
I don't have any other ideas about what to check for. It might be a good idea to establish a baseline for how well the unit works now and test it again after the do their work. One unscientific way: Maybe set the thermostat to get the house to about 75 degrees and leave it there for a few hours until it is stable. Then set the thermostat to 65 degrees and time how long the unit takes to cycle off. Note the outside temperature and (ideally) do this test after the sun has set (so that solar gain isn't a factor). After the replacement is done, repeat the test when the outside temperature is about the same (a few degrees difference in outside temperature won't matter much). If it takes longer to cool the house the same 10 degrees after they have done their work, that would be a red flag. Obviously, it would be ideal to do a few trials "before" and "after" to have more confidence in your results. But--it might be too late for much of this if they are coming tomorrow. I'd try to get at least one test in, for reference.
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Take a look at this page for info on the advantages of using a micron gauge when purging an A/C system. Since this repair is free to you, you'd want them to use a micron gauge when doing the purge. Leaving any water or contaminants in the system will decrease the life of your AC components and the efficiency of the system. They need to leave the vacuum pump on long enough to remove everything that's in your system, and ideally they'll flush the system a few times with nitrogen before the final pump-down.

Now, I am NOT an HVAC tech and I have no idea how common/uncommon these practices are. It could be completely unheard of in actual practice for all I know. But if they are getting a some sort of fixed fee from the AC hardware company, or if they re doing it s warranty repair work out of their own pocket, they'll have every incentive to do a slapdash job in as little time as possible, as long as your equipment survives for the warranty period of the labor. Hopefully someone with real experience will be along shortly. . .

Oh--also if the repair is "free" that should mean really free--no disposal fee for the refrigerant or fee for "reprocessing" it and adding it back to your system, no charges for use of special tools, etc. They sold you a defective coil, then didn't notify you that it was defective. You should assure this work is going to be really free.
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florence, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 2,092
Let me get this straight. Your HVAC contractor has taken 7 weeks to get this minor problem settled? And what's all this about taking weeks to get an A coil evaporator?

That's totally unreasonable. We're experiencing 95 degree days, and can get service and virtually any problem handled locally in 1 day. There are HVAC wholesale supply warehouses in every medium size or large city, and they have every available a/c part in stock.

That HVAC contractor would never have any more of my business.

I'm fortunate that I do business with a father/son HVAC team, and I can get them out within 1/2 day--sometimes within an hour.
__________________
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. The A/C guys arrived at 7:00AM as scheduled. Unfortunately, they brought the wrong coil. They brought a horizontal coil, but a vertical coil was needed (or the other way around). It seems that they are waiting for the correct coil to be delivered to the house.
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Let me get this straight. Your HVAC contractor has taken 7 weeks to get this minor problem settled? And what's all this about taking weeks to get an A coil evaporator?

That's totally unreasonable. We're experiencing 95 degree days, and can get service and virtually any problem handled locally in 1 day. There are HVAC wholesale supply warehouses in every medium size or large city, and they have every available a/c part in stock.

That HVAC contractor would never have any more of my business.

I'm fortunate that I do business with a father/son HVAC team, and I can get them out within 1/2 day--sometimes within an hour.
Agreed - my installers are here now, and when I reviewed the options with the sales guy, and asked about how long it takes to get this stuff, he said anything I choose he can get in a day or two. The equipment isn't a time factor, scheduling their install team is more limiting (and that was just a week from the time I gave them the OK - and this is major, entire furnace/AC system, going from Chimney to PVC in/out, moving the compressor, humidifier and new water heater - all day job, and water heater might stretch to day 2).

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 2,948
Maybe I missed it, but could you identify the manufacturer? I googled and found several AC coil class actions, but none for this coating issue.
Thanks
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Maybe I missed it, but could you identify the manufacturer? I googled and found several AC coil class actions, but none for this coating issue.
Thanks
Sure.
Brands listed in the class action suit are: Lennox (the one I have), Aire-Flo, Armstrong Air, AirEase, Concord, Ducane.

If you Google "Thomas v. Lennox Industries Inc. you will find 14 pages of information re: the class action suit.

Or, you can go to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com

It turns out my coil was still under warranty, so I don't think I have a need to be involved in the class action law suit. Under the warranty, all parts and labor were at no cost to me.
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
... They need to leave the vacuum pump on long enough to remove everything that's in your system, and ideally they'll flush the system a few times with nitrogen before the final pump-down.

... they'll have every incentive to do a slapdash job in as little time as possible, as long as your equipment survives for the warranty period of the labor. Hopefully someone with real experience will be along shortly. . .

...You should assure this work is going to be really free.
The entire job took 1 hour, 45 minutes. I asked if they were going to flush the system a few times and they said they were. (Thanks). Of course, I don't know if they really did. One guy did get up on the roof and do something. The unit with the coils is on the ground floor.

It was all free. But, I am upset with them for not notifying me that the coils were defective. I got these guys through Costco and wouldn't use them (the HVAC company) again if I didn't have to. Costco was absolutely no help in any of this.

The HVAC guys didn't have any paperwork to leave with me. So, I'll be calling the company for whatever paperwork is necessary for the next trial-by-HVAC that comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Let me get this straight. Your HVAC contractor has taken 7 weeks to get this minor problem settled? And what's all this about taking weeks to get an A coil evaporator?

Unfortunately, you got it straight. I should have been more insistent they come out sooner. Initially, they said it would take 2-3 weeks for them to come out. I let it slide and called a few weeks later--when I saw the temperature was going to get hotter (103 degrees). They came out the next week (today), but we got to experience the 103 degrees without air conditioning.
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...It might be a good idea to establish a baseline for how well the unit works now and test it again after the do their work. One unscientific way: Maybe set the thermostat to get the house to about 75 degrees and leave it there for a few hours until it is stable. Then set the thermostat to 65 degrees and time how long the unit takes to cycle off. Note the outside temperature and (ideally) do this test after the sun has set (so that solar gain isn't a factor). After the replacement is done, repeat the test when the outside temperature is about the same (a few degrees difference in outside temperature won't matter much). If it takes longer to cool the house the same 10 degrees after they have done their work, that would be a red flag. Obviously, it would be ideal to do a few trials "before" and "after" to have more confidence in your results. But--it might be too late for much of this if they are coming tomorrow. I'd try to get at least one test in, for reference.
I wish I had had the time to do this, but, I didn't. It actually sounds like fun (I know that's not the point). There's always the possibility I'll get a second chance at it.
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Sure.
Brands listed in the class action suit are: Lennox (the one I have), Aire-Flo, Armstrong Air, AirEase, Concord, Ducane.

If you Google "Thomas v. Lennox Industries Inc. you will find 14 pages of information re: the class action suit.

Or, you can go to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com

It turns out my coil was still under warranty, so I don't think I have a need to be involved in the class action law suit. Under the warranty, all parts and labor were at no cost to me.

Thanks! I did find this class action but since it referred to tube leakage I thought it must be something different. Anyway I am not a class member but anyone that is included should check it out since you could have an issue even without symptoms (eg minor refrigerant leak).


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,054
Update (again);

The air conditioner is working sans awful smell.

Also, I have some confidence in these guys as they showed up in a white panel van.
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Also, I have some confidence in these guys as they showed up in a white panel van.
Those things are a hot commodity these days. No doubt they are pros.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nest Thermostat- In floor/Gas Backup/Air Conditioning bizlady FIRE and Money 1 05-15-2014 05:10 PM
air conditioning Moemg Other topics 51 09-10-2008 11:14 PM
Air conditioning question cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 45 03-11-2008 10:32 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.