Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Air Fryer recommendations
Old 10-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Air Fryer recommendations

Wondering if anyone has an air fryer, how you like it and what you have cooked in it, and what you recommend to look for or avoid when purchasing. Brands are helpful if you are happy with yours.., Thanks in advance
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Do a search on the site here and you'll find lots of posts about air fryers, most very positive.

I have the Ninja brand and it's wonderful.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Good long thread on this last year with many recommendations (prediction: most people won't let this link stop them)

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...one-94003.html
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Good long thread on this last year with many recommendations (prediction: most people won't let this link stop them)

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...one-94003.html

Thanks- I should have searched to start with!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Skip it. It's just a convection oven in a can.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Skip it. It's just a convection oven in a can.
Is a propane torch the same as a hair dryer?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Is a propane torch the same as a hair dryer?
No. But if you put a hair dryer in a can, you can call it an air fryer.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Buy a large enough one . I have a gourmia 6.5 quart and it is perfect . I use it a lot .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No. But if you put a hair dryer in a can, you can call it an air fryer.
OK, as you wish. But a convection over does not even have the airflow of a hair dryer.

A convection oven and an air fryer are both limited by the 1.5kW power that they are allowed to draw from the wall outlet. A convection oven tends to be larger than an air fryer. The larger volume of the oven in addition to it having a metal enclosure instead of thermoplastic makes the convection oven having a larger thermal mass, and it heats up not as quickly as the air fryer.

The fast heating up feature of the air fryer plus the faster air flow makes the cooking extremely fast for smaller food items. For larger food items, a convection oven is better. The difference is similar to using a microwave oven to heat up a cup of water, instead of using a pot on a stove.

PS. For people having enough counter space, I recommend having all of the above. Just because you have a hammer does not mean you should not have a mallet. Hammers also come in different sizes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #10

As I said in the earlier thread - life changing. I also specify which one we have and why. YMMV.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, as you wish. But a convection over does not even have the airflow of a hair dryer.

A convection oven and an air fryer are both limited by the 1.5kW power that they are allowed to draw from the wall outlet. A convection oven tends to be larger than an air fryer. The larger volume of the oven in addition to it having a metal enclosure instead of thermoplastic makes the convection oven having a larger thermal mass, and it heats up not as quickly as the air fryer.

The fast heating up feature of the air fryer plus the faster air flow makes the cooking extremely fast for smaller food items. For larger food items, a convection oven is better. The difference is similar to using a microwave oven to heat up a cup of water, instead of using a pot on a stove.

PS. For people having enough counter space, I recommend having all of the above. Just because you have a hammer does not mean you should not have a mallet. Hammers also come in different sizes.
+1 We have both an I love the air fryer... the convection over I could easily do without.

I think that oven fries in the air fryer are a lot better and easier to make.

We got Gowise 3.7 qt programmable... sometimes I wish it was bigger capacity, but it is fine for two... but sometimes when we have company I want to m fries for more than two and have to do two batches.

Have also done chicken wings, chicken tenders, shrimp, donuts...

https://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-3-.../dp/B01LX9T6HF

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:

All 100% true. I have a small air fryer and I was not impressed. I thought it would be more like a commercial air fryer that I have seen in restaurants.

I have a microwave and a toaster oven I like better. Or I go out and eat.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Truthfully, air fryers are somewhat generic.

I like the larger ones. We use it every day 2-3 times. Just get tired of cleaning it out every night.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes, they are all simple devices. A heater, a fan, and some electronics to turn the heater on/off for temperature control and timing.

To ease cleaning, I bought a small stainless steel dish that fits inside the tray. It can be lifted out, and it is faster to wash it than the fryer's tray.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I bought a Philips that was on sale at Costco for $99 right before the big surge of other brands on the market. I Joined a facebook group for Air Fryer recipes and was truly amazed at the things people do with theirs. Mine however sits mostly unused because I have a convection oven, a Breville toaster (not convection) oven and a Weber gas grill 3 steps outside the back door. I've tried cooking meats and the clean up effort is not worth it. The only things that it cooks really well are frozen things meant to be heated up, like egg rolls, french fries and frozen breaded products that we almost never eat anyway. I do appreciate the quality of the Philips - I think they were one of the first brands - but my son has a Ninja and it is pretty solid.

That said, if my Breville ever quits, I'll replace it with something like the Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven.
AnneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #16

I just got a Cosori air fryer and I like it. Fish came out very moist but with a little crust on top. Hard boiled eggs need some timing work as mine came out soft. I haven’t had time yet to try other recipes but I’m looking forward to doing that.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, if you also happen to need a microwave oven, check out the brand new https://smile.amazon.com/Introducing...dp/B07XSCBSN5/ It has the air fryer, microwave, convection, & food warmer, all-in-one. And it works with Alexa.

Wish I hadn't recently replaced our microwave & bought an air fryer.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #18

I have a convection toaster oven that works for small batch air frying and my convection wall oven will do large batch air frying. A stand alone air fryer is a waste of space for me.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by catii View Post
Well, if you also happen to need a microwave oven, check out the brand new https://smile.amazon.com/Introducing...dp/B07XSCBSN5/ It has the air fryer, microwave, convection, & food warmer, all-in-one. And it works with Alexa.

Wish I hadn't recently replaced our microwave & bought an air fryer.
Oooooh. I want that!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air fryer