Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Have you heard that the Navy is test-wearing a "new" uniform called "dress khaki"?
I liked the looks of the "old" khaki. Unfortunately, when I made Chief, the Coast Guard swiched to the "bus driver" (Air Force) uniform.

Originally Posted by bssc View Post
It reminds me of the old joke.

A drunk is walking along and comes across the Army-Navy club. He sees a man in uniform and says, "Doorman, call me a cab."

The man stiffens and replies, "I will have you know sir, that I am an Admiral in the United States Navy."

The drunk thinks about this and then says, "Alright, then call me a battleship."
In the early 1970's we wore white overalls when doing ship inspections. Dumb as a box of rocks when you are crawling around in ship holds and engine rooms. Our station required us to ensure our vehicles had a minimum of 1/2 tank of fuel in case we got called out at night on an emergency. One gas station we frequented offered a free car wash with any fill-up (those were the old days for you youngsters). During one of those times when my partner and I were having our vehicle washed, another customer saw my partner in his white overalls and came over to him and started to rant and rave about his car not being properly vacuumed the last time in. This really pissed of my partner thinking that he was classified as as a car-wash employee. The language that came out of his mouth is not printable.

Originally Posted by martyb View Post
The Air Force's new ABU uniform won't be fully mandatory until sometime in 2011. I don't plan to switch from the "old" BDU uniform until the very last minute.
I tried to avoid getting the "new" Coast Guard BDUs. Didn't work. They became mandatory 2 months before I turned 60 and was off active duty.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Best boots: The ones I was issued in flight school. Leather like butter and speed laces. Very convenient. I put several replacement soles on them and they lasted for 15 years. I sure hated to break in a new pair (and get them polished up).
Hey, do they still have those corfam low quarter shoes? I used to put a minimum polish my leather shoes, just enough to not stand out, like martyb said. One day this guy shows up with shoes so shiny you needed to put on sun glasses. It was corfam. I thought that having shoes that didn't need polishing was cheating and, anyway, thought they looked like girly shoes. Held out to the very end, and a year later I was the last one to trade in my leather for corfam. Worst thing I ever did. They didn't breathe, so were hot, uncomfortable, and remained girly looking. But by then there was no choice, everyone else had corfam. Those shoes went right out in the trash as soon as I retired.

FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Hey, do they still have those corfam low quarter shoes?
Yep, and they are just as hot, stiff, and uncomfortable as you remember. I finally stopped wearing them and bought some pricey plain black leather Rockports. They weighed about 4 ounces and were as comfortable as slippers. After that, I wore the Corfams only with the mess dress.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote