Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #101

Here's a different view:

aisleseat.png
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And many of them will be the same ones who aren't strong or limber enough to lift their own carry-ons. And stand there fumbling and looking sorrowful, until someone helps them. And get up constantly to use the bathroom, and aren't limber enough to do it without tripping over and accidentally kicking other people.

Small, weak, frail, piddly people, stay off airplanes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You don't seem to realize that these two are related. If someone reclines their seat it makes it harder for people behind them to exit. Of course they are going to grab your seat back to steady themselves.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
This is the only image I can find with a live body in it. Just one person shown, but knees into the next seat.

https://www.travel-advisor.eu/tag/skyrider-2-0/
Yuk! I'd rather be racked and stacked like I imagine a military bunk would be in a submarine. That seat reminds me of movies where they put people in a state of suspended animation for space travel. At least then, you're weightless, strapped in and unconscious.

Though, if it was just for a quick trip, I guess It'd be okay, like when I fly from Detroit to Chicago. Plan barely levels off.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I have been flying Southwest for the past 4 years and have been able to snag exit row seating, so not much issue here. I am 6'5" and if I don't snag those seats, my knees are against the seat in front of me that actually prevent the seat in front to recline. Any flight longer than 3 hours, DW and I go in the seats up front, on another airline.
I'm 6'6" and my legs are longer than average for someone my height. If I flew coach my legs would be right up crunched against the fully upright seat. They would not have the option of reclining. At some point that would likely result in a confrontation that would end in someone getting arrested. Therefore I don't fly. Maybe some day i'll be able to reasonably afford first class but until then I travel only domestic and by car only.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Yuk! I'd rather be racked and stacked like I imagine a military bunk would be in a submarine. That seat reminds me of movies where they put people in a state of suspended animation for space travel. At least then, you're weightless, strapped in and unconscious.

Though, if it was just for a quick trip, I guess It'd be okay, like when I fly from Detroit to Chicago. Plan barely levels off.
If it wasn't prohibited by labor laws for the flight crew and attendants, I think we would see A-320's and 737's without lavatories. That is the mindset of the low cost carriers IMO.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #106

I last flew internationally (Philly to Rome roundtrip) in 2011. It was a pleasure trip. We had a great time in Italy, but the traveling part was pretty awful. If I ever do it again it will be business class, but it probably won't ever happen again.

Domestically, I just prepare myself emotionally for the fact that I will be uncomfortable for a few hours, and hope I don't get stuck on the plane for hours before we even take off, although that's happened to me more than a few times.

I just crawl into myself, and repeat that it will be over "soon"...sometimes I drink.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
If it wasn't prohibited by labor laws for the flight crew and attendants, I think we would see A-320's and 737's without lavatories. That is the mindset of the low cost carriers IMO.
Pay toilets could be a revenue enhancer for the airline, and people might not be such slobs if they had to actually "spend a penny."
Old 01-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
....people might not be such slobs if they had to actually "spend a penny."
OTOH, as a display of rebellion, they might just be worse.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post

Unless that "quick trip" turns into one of those delayed on the tarmac, or holding pattern while we wait for a storm to pass etc trips....that just looks like absolute torture for my old bones.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #110

Just came across this gem of a middle seat etiquette issue . The complaining pax was ejected ( on the ground) from the flight .

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-rag...113553410.html
Old 02-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You don't seem to realize that these two are related. If someone reclines their seat it makes it harder for people behind them to exit. Of course they are going to grab your seat back to steady themselves.

Do you realize that reclining today’s seats go back maybe two inches?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Some of the responses on this thread make me shake my head. What ever happened to good old common courtesy? Does that not apply to airplanes? I am a 5 foot 10 woman and if I see someone needing help to get their bag in or out of the overhead, I help them ( do the same thing in supermarkets, etc). Before I recline my seat I check with the person behind me to make sure this will not cause a problem for them. I let the person in the middle seat have the armrests. If I am in the aisle seat I tell the other people in middle and window seat to let me know when they need to get out and I will be glad to get up. If someone wants to talk the whole flight and I don't, I just politely tell them I need to work or get some rest, etc.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Some of the responses on this thread make me shake my head. What ever happened to good old common courtesy? Does that not apply to airplanes? I am a 5 foot 10 woman and if I see someone needing help to get their bag in or out of the overhead, I help them ( do the same thing in supermarkets, etc). Before I recline my seat I check with the person behind me to make sure this will not cause a problem for them. I let the person in the middle seat have the armrests. If I am in the aisle seat I tell the other people in middle and window seat to let me know when they need to get out and I will be glad to get up. If someone wants to talk the whole flight and I don't, I just politely tell them I need to work or get some rest, etc.

I could of wrote this too including the the 5 foot 10. Only difference is I’m a man. Last plane ride the middle seat guy dropped his usb drive. I got on the floor and used my iPhone flashlight to help him find it.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

One flight so was tired and wanted to sleep but the 85 yo guy was lonely and wanted to talk so I talked to him for 3 hours.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
One flight so was tired and wanted to sleep but the 85 yo guy was lonely and wanted to talk so I talked to him for 3 hours.
This is why I put my earbuds in as soon as I finish checking in and leave them in until I get to the baggage claim. I may not be listening to something, but those around me have no idea.

All these posts make me very happy that I rarely have to travel by air.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Some of the responses on this thread make me shake my head. What ever happened to good old common courtesy? Does that not apply to airplanes?
A guy in an R/C model airplane club explained this phenomenon to me, we were talking about traffic but it applies here as well. He was at the time Director of Anesthesiology at Washington Hospital Center. (Yeah, docs have hobbies too.) His take, perhaps oversimplified:

"When you put all the rats in a box, they fight".
Old 02-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
We follow these simple flight etiquette rules:
1. Don't fly coach.
2. Don't fly coach.
3. Don't fly coach.
4. When premium cabin flights appear expensive, see rules 1-3.

While not immune to the travesty(s) of coach, we seldom have to deal with:
a) The very unkempt dude wearing a t-shirt with arm holes that extend to his thighs.
b) The plus size gal in minus size stretch pants.
c) Feral kids and their even more feral parents.
d) F-ing fake comfort critters - critters gotta go coach with the other, less behaved, animals.
This might be the worst thing I've ever read on this forum.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's a different view:

Attachment 30688
Southwest has a very practical policy on very wide passengers. Have to pay for 2 seats, however, if the flight is not full, the extra airfare is refunded. It is the gate agent that decides who needs to pay for 2 seats. Sucks to have that job.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
This might be the worst thing I've ever read on this forum.
Stick around, it gets even more interesting over the years, I have been at this joint almost 14.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Southwest has a very practical policy on very wide passengers. Have to pay for 2 seats, however, if the flight is not full, the extra airfare is refunded. It is the gate agent that decides who needs to pay for 2 seats. Sucks to have that job.
They just need a chair similar to that box that checks carry one luggage. Either it fits or it doesn't.
Closed Thread