Airplane Etiquette Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly different times during the year. I pay for my seat and I recline it. On!y time the seat is in the upright position is during takeoff and landing.

I always buy a extra legroom seat, and rarely if ever recline.

Well, I'll take issue with a couple:

Don't Recline Your Seat: At the beginning of the article they say "If this year's trip abroad.." . Sorry, when travelling on a looooong flight, I am going to sleep, and I WILL recline. I will do it slowly, and probably not all the way back.

Keep the Window Shade Up: While I normally reserve an aisle seat, if I am at the window i will close it if I am trying to sleep.

And while we are on etiquette: how about not using my seat back as your support bar.

Well, maybe the last one should be a pet peeve.:D

We follow these simple flight etiquette rules:
1. Don't fly coach.
2. Don't fly coach.
3. Don't fly coach.
4. When premium cabin flights appear expensive, see rules 1-3.

While not immune to the travesty(s) of coach, we seldom have to deal with:
a) The very unkempt dude wearing a t-shirt with arm holes that extend to his thighs.
b) The plus size gal in minus size stretch pants.
c) Feral kids and their even more feral parents.
d) F-ing fake comfort critters - critters gotta go coach with the other, less behaved, animals.

I traveled a lot for business including a lot internationally (but never in coach internationally)... nonetheless, the entire article is BS.

I traveled a lot for business including a lot internationally (but never in coach internationally)... nonetheless, the entire article is BS.
Dude, don't be so shy. Tell us what you really think ..:)

I don't know about that. I think the arm rest dilemma and stay out the aisle have merit. Much of my early overseas travel was in coach (like MSP to Tokyo in a middle seat, and then I get on another plane to fly to Singapore in a middle seat), so yeah the arm rests belonged to me. And stay out of the aisle makes sense if you want to leave on time.

Don't Recline Your Seat: At the beginning of the article they say "If this year's trip abroad.." . Sorry, when travelling on a looooong flight, I am going to sleep, and I WILL recline. I will do it slowly, and probably not all the way back.

Keep the Window Shade Up: While I normally reserve an aisle seat, if I am at the window i will close it if I am trying to sleep.

And while we are on etiquette: how about not using my seat back as your support bar.

Totally agree. Those are bogus.

The attendants often ask you to close your windows. People do want darkness. They are watching videos, working on computers, reading devices or catching a snooze. It’s often super bright outside and disturbing to passengers.

I will recline my seat. I’m in economy plus or first class so the person behind me usually has extra room.

I think someone sits there and thinks up things off the tip of their head!

I don't know about that. I think the arm rest dilemma and stay out the aisle have merit. Much of my early overseas travel was in coach (like MSP to Tokyo in a middle seat, and then I get on another plane to fly to Singapore in a middle seat), so yeah the arm rests belonged to me. And stay out of the aisle makes sense if you want to leave on time.

There is nothing that gives the middle seat person the right to the armrests.... I agree with the get out of the aisle advice but that is just common sense and most people do it anyway... domestic or international.

Aisle wanderers... just sit down already!

Either they are trying to prevent DVT , or maybe need to get away from an unpleasant seat neighbor, like the large person on a recent EVA flight to Asia :eek:.

There is nothing that gives the middle seat person the right to the armrests.... I agree with the get out of the aisle advice but that is just common sense and most people do it anyway... domestic or international.

You are correct. Nothing gives the middle the right. But I do claim it when I sit down.:D

And, actually, too many people do NOT get out of the aisle. Having travelled a lot, in all accomodations, I just don't get it. Get out of the way!

I never recline my seat, because it cramps the person behind me.

I usually recline my seat, but I do recline slowly as I've had my laptop pinched by a reclining seats in front of me and don't want to do that to whoever is behind me.

I agree that the back of my seat is mine and the volume of air occupied by the seat when not reclined is mine as well in case I want to recline. You have your own seat back and volume, so you are not cramped unless you got the cheapest seat at the back of the plane. I generally let the person behind me know that I am going to recline my seat, but in reality new planes have almost no recline angle anyways.

I never heard of keeping the window shade up. Most people want it down if the sun is shining directly through and in the dark it doesn't really matter. Sure, put it if there is a nice view, but usually there is not.

Last edited:
We follow these simple flight etiquette rules:
1. Don't fly coach.
2. Don't fly coach.
3. Don't fly coach.
4. When premium cabin flights appear expensive, see rules 1-3.

While not immune to the travesty(s) of coach, we seldom have to deal with:
a) The very unkempt dude wearing a t-shirt with arm holes that extend to his thighs.
b) The plus size gal in minus size stretch pants.
c) Feral kids and their even more feral parents.
d) F-ing fake comfort critters - critters gotta go coach with the other, less behaved, animals.
4 million miler here.
Everything Red Badger just said.

Made the horrible mistake of flying coach for the first time a few years ago. Once was enough for a lifetime.

The window shade needs to be up on takeoffs and landings because ground emergency responders need to see into the aircraft.

Often someone wants to look out the window, consider the needs of your seatmates.

On our last flight in coach, on a foreign airliner (in-country flight: no business class) I was squashed from front and back. Very heavy people, when they recline, will often force their seat back another half an inch through sheer weight. Had those people in front; their seat backs were practically in our laps. In back, I had a woman (also very heavy) who pushed my seat forward every time I reclined it. I could feel her doing it. She was waiting, and that push came every time I reclined.

I think these sorts of things constitute discrimination against lighter-weight people, and should be condemned.

I fly different times during the year. I pay for my seat and I recline it. On!y time the seat is in the upright position is during takeoff and landing.
Darn right! Screw those people behind you. If they want a scrap of room, they should recline onto the people behind them.

I am 6-2. I recline the seat if I wish. So do those in front of me

I usually have aisle or exit row seats.

Most of the tips in the article appear to be complete BS.

But I agree with staying out of the aisle. Not closing the window shade as a "rule" is sillines. It is situational. Communication works better than made up rules or tips.

Armrests are shared.

How about those people that want to hurry into the aisle instead of waiting their turn?

Fortunately most small issues with flying are just that. Avoiding a middle seat is a good plan.

I also think when the stewardess or steward walks down the hallway between the seats and their backside makes contact with my elbow resting on the armrest when I sit in the aisle seat, maybe an " excuse me " is in order?

These are my unofficial rules:

The middle person gets both armrests because the middle sucks hard. The aisle and window folks get their one side and can lean on it more.

There are usually 3 notches for reclining. One is polite, two is understandable on long/night flights. 3 is in my lap and i hate you.

The window shade goes down after take off, and up for descent, and only opens mid-flight if the captain says something like "oh hey lookie at the grand canyon down there".

The person who needs to pee a lot should book the aisle.
The person who wants to sleep should book the window.
No one should try to talk to me.
If you put your overhead in my row and are not seated in my row I hate you.
Do not bring cooked smelly food or drinks onto the plane.
You may not turn on any lights on a red eye.

These are my unofficial rules:

The middle person gets both armrests because the middle sucks hard. The aisle and window folks get their one side and can lean on it more.

There are usually 3 notches for reclining. One is polite, two is understandable on long/night flights. 3 is in my lap and i hate you.

The window shade goes down after take off, and up for descent, and only opens mid-flight if the captain says something like "oh hey lookie at the grand canyon down there".

The person who needs to pee a lot should book the aisle.
The person who wants to sleep should book the window.
No one should try to talk to me.
If you put your overhead in my row and are not seated in my row I hate you.
Do not bring cooked smelly food or drinks onto the plane.
You may not turn on any lights on a red eye.

Can you sit next to me on my next flight?
You're rules are perfect.

The window shade needs to be up on takeoffs and landings because ground emergency responders need to see into the aircraft.
Yes, and the tray tables need to be up, too, so I don't think anybody is closing the shades contrary to flight attendant announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom