Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Aiyeeee!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, the top end Lexus, eh? All I know is when we test drove the lexus ES300 we were beyond impressed. I can vouch for you on the used vs. new thing, this was a 2 year old lexus with 30k miles on it, and they still wanted almost 30k for it, might as well go new.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep. I looked at a 2003 and a 2004, with 40k and 30k miles on them respectively; 38k for the 2003 and 43k for the 2004. I think i'll just go new. At least the fact that I'll get more than half my money back in 5 years when we sell it is making my wallet a little less tender...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
At least the fact that I'll get more than half my money back in 5 years when we sell it is making my wallet a little less tender...
It can really suck having your own sales logic used against you!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Eh, i'm liking the idea more and more.

I get to revisit the dumbest feeling in the world that i havent gotten to experience since selling my bmw and my infiniti.

Driving through the jack-in-the-box drive-thru in a 50k luxury car in a pair of crappy shorts and a crappy tee shirt, ordering the 99c value cheeseburger, and having everyone in the place think I just pulled off a carjacking...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Checked the Costco option with the other nearby lexus dealer. 5K off.
Will they honor the Costco no questions asked return policy for the Lexus too?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, no. That would be pretty sweet, huh

I'm recanting the idea that the costco thing is a good deal. They said they had a fixed price that would be "four or five grand" off the sticker price (64,304, invoice 56,340). I have one dealer verbally agreed to selling me the car for $57,540. A couple of grand cheaper than the Costco option. I havent given the costco guy a second round chance, but he'd probably have to drop the costco referral deal and do a direct negotiation. Not sure thats super productive considering I'm already to $1200 over invoice.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well we've got it. Mrs CFB had her 4.5 hour "lexus buying experience" where the salesman sat with her in the car and practically read her the owners manual. The actual paperwork and whatnot was over in an hour. Gabe was a prince throughout, although he certainly had plenty of places, stuff and people to get interested in.

Very nice folks. Even the guy who tried to sell us the extended warranty and paint sealant was pretty nice. The extended warranty actually started sounding like a decent deal. About $2g's to extend the bumper to bumper from 4 years/50k miles to 7/70. I dont think i've ever bought one before, as they're usually a bad deal but its a little tempting on this car. I think it has 14 slots to put quarters in and make things light up.

Even got the deal I was quoted over the phone, no further haggling, "losing" my drivers license, having a prior buyer suddenly materialize, bait and switch, snap and shuffle, nada. Of course, I did fire a couple of warning shots over their heads on the phone just to make sure we didnt have a bunch of hoo-hah when I got there.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Very nice folks. Even the guy who tried to sell us the extended warranty and paint sealant was pretty nice. The extended warranty actually started sounding like a decent deal. About $2g's to extend the bumper to bumper from 4 years/50k miles to 7/70. I dont think i've ever bought one before, as they're usually a bad deal but its a little tempting on this car. I think it has 14 slots to put quarters in and make things light up.
Too late now, but you can negotiate the price of the extended warranty too. When DW and I bought two new hondas back in 2000, I had the dealer sell me two extended warranties at "cost" which was about half of the retail price for the extended warranty. Hard to believe the extended warranties have a 100% markup.

On a side note, I think your wife and mine had a remote brain connection even though they are 3000 miles apart. I got home Friday afternoon and lo and behold my wife wanted us to buy a new sports car. I think I persuaded her that is wasn't such a good idea when I told her that all of her dream cars were manuals and didn't come with automatic transmissions. Then I reminded her how much more her 30 minute to 1 hour commute stuck in bumper to bumper traffic would suck with the manual transmission.

I kept asking her what aspects of a sports car were most important to her and why she wanted to buy one. "To look cool". I kept showing her the acceleration curves, 0 to 60 times and 1/4 mile times for different cars, but to no avail. She didn't really care how fast a car was, only what color it was, and how "cool" the body style was. Girls... Looks like the marketing folks did a number on her.

Another anti-FIRE bomb diffused. Amazing how she can see the clarity of my logic.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Oh I negotiated! Hey! Its ME! It started off about $3g and had to be bought "today only", then I got it down below $2g. Then it turned out the time to get it went from today only to anytime before the factory warranty expires.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #30

Not bad. That 2g is probably pretty fair, based on the starting price of $3g. Cost plus a nice little profit to the dealer.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Oh I negotiated!* Hey!* Its ME! * It started off about $3g and had to be bought "today only", then I got it down below $2g.* Then it turned out the time to get it went from today only to anytime before the factory warranty expires.
Your Fuzzness,

See if the extended warranty gives any ofhter benefits during the original warranty period. Such as rental cars and roadside. Many manufacturers put a surcharge on the extended warranty if not bought at time of sale. Also you will have the price increases as the years go by.

Most of all make sure it's not an aftermarket warranty. Only buy the manufacturers warranty.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I checked and the nav system alone if it fries costs ~5500 to replace... :P

Tape a couple of pictures of the kid to the screen and call it even...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #33

Quote:
So the wife wants a lexus.

Not just any lexus, the "big one".

Guess what we're going shopping for later today...

So much for LBYM...
TH: When the word gets out down there, don't be surprised if the Chamber of Commerce contacts you, and asks if you'd drive "point" in the annual "Don't believe what you've heard about Yuba City" day parade.

Jarhead, who believes you should do whatever makes you happy.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Well, since new home prices started regularly topping 400 and 500k around here, theres plenty of "new money" flowing in from Excramento. Funny, I remember when that started happening down there 5-6 years ago. Lots of new stores opening up, giant swaths of prune, peach and nut trees are being mowed down to make room for new subdivisions. Cant wait for the bottom to start tilting on this one...

All I have to say is, first time I see someone on a recumbent bike, I'm moving. Thats my measure of satisfactorily maximum levels of yuppiness absorption.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #35

Quote:
I checked and the nav system alone if it fries costs ~5500 to replace... :P

Tape a couple of pictures of the kid to the screen and call it even...
Go to walmart and pay $4.95 for a California street atlas. Shove it in your glovebox. Teach Gabe to read maps, use a hand-help GPS device, and navigate.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we have a garmin colormap (old but reliable) in the expedition and the handheld black and white emap in the rav4. Cheap enough and great for "ok, where the @#%$#@ am I?" situations.

This new voice operated thing in the lexus is pretty cool. You say "I'm hungry", and it pops up restaurants. You say "chinese" and it shows all the closest chinese places. Then if you have a bluetooth enabled phone, it interfaces with your phone and lets you call the one you pick to place your order. Then tells you where to turn to get to the restaurant.

Guess what I've been ordered to go buy this afternoon... :P
Old 01-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #37

Tell your fancy talking car "my tooth hurts". See if your fancy jap import can steer you to the nearest dentist...

btw, don't you already know where the good local chinese restaurants are located?

What would your car say if you told it "I like pretty girls"? Directions to nearest college campus and/or strip clubs?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

For the hell of it I would have the wife take the RX330 for a cruise.

Women love being up high and Depending where you live it has AWD drive and is amazing in bad weather. Wife hit black Ice on an on ramp and "the car started beeping and it straightened itself out somehow". May save yourself $20k...

Also, It rides as well as my 1996 LS400 that the wife doesn't care for. Seats aren't quite as comfortable in my opinion but wife disagrees. Again, it's the up high see everything vs the male lounge back as far as you can like your on a couch.

Also I bought the LS400 certified preowned and saved about $20k. Certified Lexus has a better warranty than a new one and is transferable when you trade it in. 3year 100,000 and Lexus backs it up. Only problem was lower and upper ball joints went at 80,000 miles and they replaced for free, would heav bee $2000.00

Good luck

Wally

Old 01-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #39

Must be something in the air! DW casually mentions over the weekend...."I would like to trade my car for a new one." :

I told her she had some options.

Work another year to pay off the new car before we retire.

Or,

Keep the existing car for a couple more years so we can retire in 2007.

She is thinking it over........
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well we've got it.* Mrs CFB had her 4.5 hour "lexus buying experience" where the salesman sat with her in the car and practically read her the owners manual.*
Well, TH, I have you to thank for an evening's interesting spouse conversation.

I wanted to make sure that my spouse was feeling adequately compensated for our ER beach-bum lifestyle. During our evening walk I mentioned that the portfolio had been doing pretty well lately and that it might be a good time to "lock in some gains". We talked about all the expenses we've been cutting (without any quality-of-life compromises) and how it might be time to reward ourselves for our efforts. I actually showed her the text of your post about upsell insertion & imminent decision fears so that she could fully appreciate all the slimy tricks advanced negotiation tactics.

She said "Why the @#$% would I want a Lexus after fixing the Altima? Besides, I've ridden in a Lexus-- those leather seats are too slippery!"

I fell in love all over again.

Quote:
giant swaths of prune, peach and nut trees are being mowed down to make room for new subdivisions.
Listen, I can't tell a prairie dog from a gopher or even from Al's beaver, but I'm pretty sure those would be plum trees. However I could be wrong, especially if they're grafted from raisin vines...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote