Albums you played until they wore out...not literally.

I played the heck out of Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Led Zep, Doobies, Eagles, Everclear, Foo, Radiohead, Genesis, The Who, Sheryl Crow, Buffett, Nirvana, The Police, REM, and Van Halen - - BUT probably played Beatles albums more than all the others put together.
Your list Midpack lifted the fog from the distant past....Billy Joel 52nd Street...I literally wore out the 8Track and the cassette back in the day.

The Pogues - Hells Ditch
U2 - Joshua Tree
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
INXS - X
Best of Jimmy Buffet
Best of Van Morrison
Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Lol... i'll be in charge of the "oldies" hour ;o)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My YES albums got a pretty serious workout. And then there was Dark Side of The Moon...... which I still listen too!

I was thinking of this thread last night. All of a sudden I remembered an LP that I had when I was a very young boy, maybe around six years old. It was a story that had to do with frogs and a princess, and it featured Kermit the Frog, but I couldn't remember much else about it, other than I used to listen to it every day until I literally wore it out.

A quick google search on Kermit the Frog led me to the Wikipedia page for him, which listed every movie he's been in. And sure enough, listed under 1971 TV movie, there it was! It was called "The Frog Prince". I LOVED that story!

I wondered if I could find clips of it anywhere, so I googled the movie. This led me to youtube, where sure enough the entire movie was right there for me to watch. So I stayed up in bed and watched the entire movie. It was like being transported back in time to when I was just a little boy. I remembered almost every line of the play too! And it was just as fabulous last night as it was 40 years ago.

The internet just absolutely amazes me sometimes. That was really a rare treat!

Brain Salad Surgery, Emerson, Lake & Palmer

hands down...unless another one comes to mind...

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" Bruce Springsteen
"Some Girls" Rolling Stones
"The Wall" Pink Floyd

When I learned that John Hartford's "Steam Powered Aeroplane" went out of print, I went out and bought two spares, insurance for the day I'd wear out the first copy. They came in handy as that one never came out in CD form until not that long ago.

When I learned that John Hartford's "Steam Powered Aeroplane" went out of print, I went out and bought two spares, insurance for the day I'd wear out the first copy. They came in handy as that one never came out in CD form until not that long ago.

Thankfully Aereo-Plain is now on CD! On of my favorites of all-time, but then Morning Bugle, Nobody Knows What You Do, and Mark Twang are also good. Could even include All In The Name of Love, if only for Dancing in the Bathtub...

Had the privilege to see John twice, the second time only about a month before his untimely passing... :(

This is a bit complicated for me, because as a kid I was buying a lot of 45's, and very few albums. The artists by whom I had the most singles were Bowie, T Rex, and The Beatles. Then, as the early 80's rolled around and I started working as a mobile DJ, I always had the Top 20 singles, (except for the really naff ones!) I'd cringe if I owned the top singles nowadays but back then, it was a lot of good stuff. I guess the stuff you grow up with always seems like the best music :)

Ignoring all the singles I owned, my most played albums as a teenager in the late 70's were (apologies for the compilations but they were good compilations) -

The Beatles 1967-70 (Blue Album)
The Essential Jimi Hendrix Vol 1
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Planet Gong - Floating Anarchy Live 1977

As a mobile DJ in the 80's, my most-played record was Blue Monday by New Order. There was no way the punters would let me pack up my stuff and go home if I didn't play that song at least once. The time that track played would coincide with the sweatiest/booziest and most intense part of the evening. Everyone was on the dance floor when that song played - even the kids who didn't dance.

"Exile on Main Street" -- One of rock 'n' roll's greatest albums. I'm not a huge Stones fan, but "Exile" is supernatural.

"Literally"
As kid, I received a 78 RPM record album set of 3 records... A "books on tape" type of recorded reading of Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs...
With my wind-up Victrola record player, I'd go into my room, and play all six sides... at least once a week, for many years. Steel needles that hardly ever got replaced, so the records eventually wore down to the point when unless you had heard the readings before, the sound was unintelligible due to the hiss and scratches.
My prized possession died when our closet flooded, many years later.
So, yeah... not Elvis, or the Beatles... or Bob Dylan...
Tarzan!

I was delighted to find it on the internet... here:
Tarzan of the Apes read by David Stifel

"Literally"
As kid, I received a 78 RPM record album set of 3 records... A "books on tape" type of recorded reading of Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs...
With my wind-up Victrola record player, I'd go into my room, and play all six sides... at least once a week, for many years. Steel needles that hardly ever got replaced, so the records eventually wore down to the point when unless you had heard the readings before, the sound was unintelligible due to the hiss and scratches.
My prized possession died when our closet flooded, many years later.
So, yeah... not Elvis, or the Beatles... or Bob Dylan...
Tarzan!

I was delighted to find it on the internet... here:
Tarzan of the Apes read by David Stifel

:) ...

To me, it was the cassette tapes. I played them until they start making squeaky noises and died a slow death.

I often fixed tapes as they get "eaten" by tape players. I'd cut out the damaged part, and taped them together for replay. One Pavarotti song that I fixed, it made a smooth transition despite the cut out part. Many years later, when I bought CD replacement, the song was almost new to me b/c I was so used to the "abridged" cassette version :D.

There were a few but "Cheap Thrills" with Janus Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company comes to mind.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom