Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
gone traveling

Darkness on the Edge of Town. Played that one 3x a day for at least a month and then settled in to just a few times a week.

Springsteen was the 12 best Rock and Roll shows I've ever seen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

From the time I purchased my first 45 single, I want to Hold Your Hand, I have worn out every single and album by the Beatles.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

When I went away to college, I was exposed to a lot of new music and went on one "kick" after another. Springsteen or the Who wasn't new, but it was new to me! My roommates would BEG me to play something else. And yes Squeeze was memorably one of those periods.

But in recent times the one that made me want to "stay in the car and play that song again" was Mumford and Sons.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My older brother graduated HS in '69, and joined the Navy shortly thereafter. I was to inherit the family second car, a '62 Chevy (283 2-bbl three-on-the-tree), but was still several months from getting a driver's license.

After basic, DB brought home a shiny new 8-track (an Automatic Radio-brand with four speakers!) and installed it in the '62. We only had two tapes: the soundtrack to "Hair", and Woodstock. So, add Woodstock to the list, only exchange vinyl for tape.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I played the heck out of Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Led Zep, Doobies, Eagles, Everclear, Foo, Radiohead, Genesis, The Who, Sheryl Crow, Buffett, Nirvana, The Police, REM, and Van Halen -

- BUT probably played Beatles albums more than all the others put together.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

STYX- Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theater
Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I played the heck out of Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Led Zep, Doobies, Eagles, Everclear, Foo, Radiohead, Genesis, The Who, Sheryl Crow, Buffett, Nirvana, The Police, REM, and Van Halen - - BUT probably played Beatles albums more than all the others put together.
Your list Midpack lifted the fog from the distant past....Billy Joel 52nd Street...I literally wore out the 8Track and the cassette back in the day.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #28

The Pogues - Hells Ditch
U2 - Joshua Tree
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
INXS - X
Best of Jimmy Buffet
Best of Van Morrison
Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #29

Koogie, bring your iPod. That's is all I've got to say.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #30

Lol... i'll be in charge of the "oldies" hour ;o)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My YES albums got a pretty serious workout. And then there was Dark Side of The Moon...... which I still listen too!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Floyd, Maaannnnn. The Floyd....
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #33

I was thinking of this thread last night. All of a sudden I remembered an LP that I had when I was a very young boy, maybe around six years old. It was a story that had to do with frogs and a princess, and it featured Kermit the Frog, but I couldn't remember much else about it, other than I used to listen to it every day until I literally wore it out.

A quick google search on Kermit the Frog led me to the Wikipedia page for him, which listed every movie he's been in. And sure enough, listed under 1971 TV movie, there it was! It was called "The Frog Prince". I LOVED that story!

I wondered if I could find clips of it anywhere, so I googled the movie. This led me to youtube, where sure enough the entire movie was right there for me to watch. So I stayed up in bed and watched the entire movie. It was like being transported back in time to when I was just a little boy. I remembered almost every line of the play too! And it was just as fabulous last night as it was 40 years ago.

The internet just absolutely amazes me sometimes. That was really a rare treat!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #34

Brain Salad Surgery, Emerson, Lake & Palmer

hands down...unless another one comes to mind...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

"Darkness on the Edge of Town" Bruce Springsteen
"Some Girls" Rolling Stones
"The Wall" Pink Floyd
Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #36
gone traveling

When I learned that John Hartford's "Steam Powered Aeroplane" went out of print, I went out and bought two spares, insurance for the day I'd wear out the first copy. They came in handy as that one never came out in CD form until not that long ago.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
When I learned that John Hartford's "Steam Powered Aeroplane" went out of print, I went out and bought two spares, insurance for the day I'd wear out the first copy. They came in handy as that one never came out in CD form until not that long ago.
Thankfully Aereo-Plain is now on CD! On of my favorites of all-time, but then Morning Bugle, Nobody Knows What You Do, and Mark Twang are also good. Could even include All In The Name of Love, if only for Dancing in the Bathtub...

Had the privilege to see John twice, the second time only about a month before his untimely passing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #38

This is a bit complicated for me, because as a kid I was buying a lot of 45's, and very few albums. The artists by whom I had the most singles were Bowie, T Rex, and The Beatles. Then, as the early 80's rolled around and I started working as a mobile DJ, I always had the Top 20 singles, (except for the really naff ones!) I'd cringe if I owned the top singles nowadays but back then, it was a lot of good stuff. I guess the stuff you grow up with always seems like the best music

Ignoring all the singles I owned, my most played albums as a teenager in the late 70's were (apologies for the compilations but they were good compilations) -

The Beatles 1967-70 (Blue Album)
The Essential Jimi Hendrix Vol 1
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Planet Gong - Floating Anarchy Live 1977

As a mobile DJ in the 80's, my most-played record was Blue Monday by New Order. There was no way the punters would let me pack up my stuff and go home if I didn't play that song at least once. The time that track played would coincide with the sweatiest/booziest and most intense part of the evening. Everyone was on the dance floor when that song played - even the kids who didn't dance.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #39

"Exile on Main Street" -- One of rock 'n' roll's greatest albums. I'm not a huge Stones fan, but "Exile" is supernatural.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #40

"Literally"
As kid, I received a 78 RPM record album set of 3 records... A "books on tape" type of recorded reading of Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs...
With my wind-up Victrola record player, I'd go into my room, and play all six sides... at least once a week, for many years. Steel needles that hardly ever got replaced, so the records eventually wore down to the point when unless you had heard the readings before, the sound was unintelligible due to the hiss and scratches.
My prized possession died when our closet flooded, many years later.
So, yeah... not Elvis, or the Beatles... or Bob Dylan...
Tarzan!

I was delighted to find it on the internet... here:
Tarzan of the Apes read by David Stifel