Albums you played until they wore out...not literally.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For me it would have to be Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road. My friends and I played them after school every day for months. No album ever grabbed my attention like those two since. I think I know the words to every song even today.

I had an aspiring drummer friend who played In A Gadda Da Vida into the ground too.

What a long time ago...

All this comes to mind with the Ed Sullivan Beatles 50th anniversary.

The Rolling Stones. Seems like everyone I knew favored one or the other, never both. Not sure how regional it was, but then in the Twin Cities we had the Baldies (dry hair and madras shirts) and Greasers (greased hair, tee shirts, and black pants). Baldies had the Beatles and Greasers the Stones.

Elvis Costello's first album "My Aim Is True". Played this album over-and-over.
Uriah Heep "Demons and Wizards". Required background music for reading fantasy novels.

Last edited:
Elvis Costello's first album "My Aim Is True". Bruce Springsteen "Born to Run". The Who "Who's Next". The Clash "London Calling". A few others got incessant play for a year or so, but these I came back to so often I needed to buy multiple copies after wearing some out.

I forgot to mention that my cassette of Squeeze Singles 45s and Under probably got the most play out of everything, considering I was of the "tape generation".

Every album that 'wishbone ash' ever put out. I don't care for them now really, and they have disappeared into rock and roll obscurity, but back in the day, I wore those records out.

Led Zeppelin II - not long after, I had a cassette recorder, so my album 'masters' never wore out!

But I remember listening with headphones, and not just playing through the album, but playing a song over and over - first listening to the whole song overall, then focus on the guitar, and then the bass, and then the drums. And then listen again, focusing on how the bass and drums interacted, and again how guitar and bass interacted, etc, through every combination (good thing they were only a quartet, with occasional organ and guitar over-dubs - that goes exponential!).

I'd say I not only know the words to every song, but every note of every instrument and drum beat and note bend and vocal growl of every song! I can 'sing along' with every solo, w/o a doubt. You just don't want to be in the same room when I do!

Hah, in fact - just the other day I was going through some old jazz and blues videos on youtube, inspired by a book I'm reading about New Orleans music history, and I came across references to early songs with some of the 'Lemon Song' lyrics. Well, I just had to hear "The Lemon Song" again, it's kinda easy to dismiss it a bit as a novelty for those lyrics - but I was immediately reminded of what a masterpiece this is. Every single time I hear it, I am blown away by the part where they go from the double-time back to single time, not in a jump, but they all slow down together over the course of one measure, and just drop back in perfect time to the original beat. I always picture them leaning into it like someone put the brakes on to slow them down! And that gong filling out the guitar sound on the first measure. Just incredible!

dah-dah dah-dah dah-dah dah da DAH, da DAH "I should'a quit you babe...." :cool:

-ERD50

Aerosmith - Aerosmith
Neil Young -Rust Never Sleeps
Beatles - Abby Road
Uriah Heap - Magicians Birthday
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Golden Earing - Moontan
Golden Earing - Cut

And a bunch more.
MRG

Carol King's Tapestry
Sade's Diamond Life
Bob Dylan's albums (more than half dozen)
and too many to mention, really.

+1+1

I think we have (or had) the same taste in music!

Ooh, cool! I've still got those on rotation on the iPod. I'm still a sucker for a good singer/songwriter, mostly in the Americana/Red Dirt genre, but also don't mind putting out some 80s stuff when I'm in the mood!

What are you listening to these days?

SOPWITH CAMEL - The Miraculous Hump Returns from the Moon

Today I am listening to DAVID CROSBY - If I Could Only Remember my Name

I love to listen to an album that I had forgotten about for years and when I hear or read something that jars my memory. In Crosby's case it was reading Neal Young's "Waging Heavy Peace". Kind of rambling much like myself.

Varied over the years...

But the list would include Steppenwolf Live, CSNY Four-Way Street, ABB Live at the Fillmore East, Roy Buchanan's Livestock, several Zappa albums, several Pink Floyd albums, several Beatles albums, several Zeppelin albums...

Like ERD50, I listened and learned a lot about music by picking out parts.

Almost every album done by Bob Dylan or the Eagles. A couple from Firesign Theater too.

Carol King's Tapestry <--- now has SACD version
Sade's Diamond Life <--- too many scratches and bought a replacement CD
Bob Dylan's albums (more than half dozen) <--- cassette tapes worn out, replaced with CDs
and too many to mention, really.

< adding the other genre >

Van Cliburn's Beethoven Sonatas
Rubinstein's Chopin favorites
Live at Budokan, Beethoven Sonatas <- double album, forgot the artist's name, can't find the album or CD replacement.
Paganini's violin concertos <- cassette tapes worn out, replacement CDs not as good.

Northern Exposure sound tracks, volume I & II

"Born to Run"' back in the 70s, before people heard of Bruce Springsteen.

Also the first album by Lone Justice.

Probably a lot more but those two are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Pretty much all the beatles albums from HELP (I was 10 yrs old when this came out) thru Sgt. Peppers.

Darkness on the Edge of Town. Played that one 3x a day for at least a month and then settled in to just a few times a week.

Springsteen was the 12 best Rock and Roll shows I've ever seen.

From the time I purchased my first 45 single, I want to Hold Your Hand, I have worn out every single and album by the Beatles.

When I went away to college, I was exposed to a lot of new music and went on one "kick" after another. Springsteen or the Who wasn't new, but it was new to me! My roommates would BEG me to play something else. And yes Squeeze was memorably one of those periods.

But in recent times the one that made me want to "stay in the car and play that song again" was Mumford and Sons.

My older brother graduated HS in '69, and joined the Navy shortly thereafter. I was to inherit the family second car, a '62 Chevy (283 2-bbl three-on-the-tree), but was still several months from getting a driver's license.

After basic, DB brought home a shiny new 8-track (an Automatic Radio-brand with four speakers!) and installed it in the '62. We only had two tapes: the soundtrack to "Hair", and Woodstock. So, add Woodstock to the list, only exchange vinyl for tape.

I played the heck out of Jethro Tull, CSN&Y, Elton John, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Led Zep, Doobies, Eagles, Everclear, Foo, Radiohead, Genesis, The Who, Sheryl Crow, Buffett, Nirvana, The Police, REM, and Van Halen -

- BUT probably played Beatles albums more than all the others put together.

Back
Top Bottom