Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Alec Baldwin --- Ranting
Old 04-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Ha Ha. Baldwin went way overboard. Unless Kim Bassinger is a loon herself he will be lucky to get supervised visitation. This wasn't a frustrated dad pushed to the limit by an inconsiderate teenager. This was a potential abuser outing himself.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I know if my father had ever called me a "pig" it would have been something I could never have forgotten.
I have a friend who remembers being insulted when she was about the same age and visiting one of her school friends. The friend's brother, a few years older, told his sister not to "let that dog crap in our yard."

My friend is 50 years old and all these years later she came close to crying when she told me the story. You are right, kids remember this type of cruelty and internalize it for a long, long time.

Sometimes once is one time too many.

On the positive side, maybe some other parents will recognize themselves in this scene and resolve to do better.

I don't know what Alec Baldwin has been through, but I will report that my father never, ever used this type of language with me, and some of the nonsense I pulled was a lot worse than missing a phone call! :P

Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the "grownups" in this situation need to "grow up"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like Al is ready for ER to me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think he's a jerk, but what kind of mom would release those tapes? Could she possibly get over her vindictiveness long enough to consider how her kid would feel, not only having her dad call her that, but having the world know about it?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
I think he's a jerk, but what kind of mom would release those tapes? Could she possibly get over her vindictiveness long enough to consider how her kid would feel, not only having her dad call her that, but having the world know about it?
Also, has she considered how much career damage this might do to him? Verbal abuse of children is not something that the movie going public is likely to ignore.

Ha
Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Also, has she considered how much career damage this might do to him? Verbal abuse of children is not something that the movie going public is likely to ignore.

Ha
That was probably the point, don't you think? I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the musical marriage game in Hollyweird, and yet even *I* had heard how spiteful this divorce was getting.

He needs anger management counseling.

She needs to grow up and put her kid's well-being ahead of her petty nonsense.

I'm really sad for that kid. I hope she's strong enough to come through all this with some shred of self-confidence intact.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired
Ok, I'll chime in a little too. I say cut the guy a little slack. With a nasty divorce you never know who the real bad guy is. I also know that some kids can really press your buttons in order to get attention...good or bad attention. It ain't easy being a parent, especially the parents of middle school kids.
As a mother who has raised three children through adolescence, I know how trying they can be sometimes. But there is no excuse, NONE, for the kind of abuse heaped on this girl by her father. If you listen to the tape, you will hear that Baldwin accused his daughter of "humiliating" HIM. You will also hear his vicious, abusive tone. He is the adult. He should take responsibility for humiliating his daughter with such language. I doubt his daughter will ever completely forgive him for this. Young (and old) women have very long memories.

Also, why would Basinger release that tape? This conflict between them, in and out of court, has been going on for YEARS. Perhaps she (and very likely the daughter too) is really tired of having this abusive a**hole in their lives.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

In my book, there is no excuse for that type of verbal attack by a parent to thier child. I sure wasn't a perfect parent but I never talked to my kids like that....let alone be stupid enough to record a rant like that onto tape...especially if I was going through a nasty divorce. He is a MORON!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Parents do get angry with their kids, and I'm sure just about everyone loses it and says something that hurts once in awhile. But I agree - calling your kid names like that, that isn't just slipping up. That's deliberately hurtful - it's mean, and it's not OK.

But even if Kim released it with Ireland's consent, I still think it was unnecessarily destructive. I could see her taking it to the judge, playing it privately so that the judge could see what Ireland is dealing with. But it was released to the public. That's just so manipulative and calculating.

Not liking either parent. Just not.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

According to late breaking info... The kid has been used as a pawn by Kim B. to agitate Baldwin. Claims are that mom is turning off phone, limiting communication, and manipulating the child.

It seems that what is happening is the same old story that happens all too often. The parents are angry at one another. The split has gotten nasty. And the kid is caught in the cross-fire.

Baldwin's blow-up was distributed to ruin his reputation for the custody battle.

It is an ugly situation. Baldwin is getting the public embarrassment of acting out over the phone shown nationally.

One thing is for sure... it takes two to tango! Both of them should be embarrassed. And both are responsible for things escalating to where they are today!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think Kenneth should talk to him.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #33

Is there anyone here who has kids who hasn't blown their cool with them a few times? Come on, now, people. I'm not condoning what he said, but cut the guy some slack.
This has no business being made public either. So, let us take a wild guess and say Kim Bassinger put it out there. What dirty pool! She's in no prize either with her past behavior, and just so guilty as he is of dragging this 12 year old thru the mud.
In fact, I think Alec Baldwin was watching his tongue when he called his ex-wife simply "a pain in the ass." I'm sure he would just love to have said more. Both of these parents need to grow up.
I've no doubt Alec Baldwin feels he is superior to use mere mortals and a nasty character by nature, but I still feel this particular incident needs to stay in the courts or in the home...not on tv and the radio.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Sorry... but I am not going to pile on this guy... at least he is TRYING to be with his kid...

There are SO many men that father children... get divorced and never give one hoot about thier offspring... no child support, no calls.... like they never existed... those are the guy I think are slime...

Yes, he is a 'A' personality and is used to getting his way.. he will be that way with his kids... but since none of us know how he is with her when they are alone etc... why pile on
I tend to agree, I know of a few fathers that are very bitter that they have to pay child support and have heard that when it's there turn for visitation he gets the kids to do as much chores around the house including helping him install shingles on the roof to get his money back. No saying it's right to loose your temper, but I've lost it once or twice myself.

As my DW always tells me, there are 3 sides to every story.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Many divorced fathers have a very hard time. Some ex-wives are great, and things go along quite well, in spite of all the challenges. I know examples of each.

I am sure glad this never happened to me.

Ha
Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #36

And now a new Daddy Dearest Doll!!!

Alec Baldwin recently suffered the sting of humiliation after an angry voice mail tirade he left to his daughter was made public. Toy makers quickly scrambled to create a talking doll based on the "bitter dad" phenomenon and recently launched the Alec Baldwin Daddy Dearest Talking Doll. Pull Daddy Dearest's string and prepare to be shocked over the profanities escaping from his mouth. Each time you pull the string, you'll marvel at how Daddy Dearest begins to redden as he trembles with livid anger. Wait a few seconds and hear him start yelling at the top of his lungs! Daddy Dearest is sure to be at the top of every kid's wish list.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

Ha
Interestingly, his career has recently made a strong comeback and Kim Bassinger would be forgotten without this kind of press. Hmmmmmm....
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Many divorced fathers have a very hard time. Some ex-wives are great, and things go along quite well, in spite of all the challenges. I know examples of each.

I am sure glad this never happened to me.

Ha
True. Some ex-husbands are great, and things go along quite well in spite of the challenges. Glad it never happened to me either. Except that one time. Oh, yeah, and that other time too.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no problem piling on. The things he said were deliberately cruel - that's abuse. He could be entirely justified in his anger and that still would not excuse the things he said. This is his child - he has an obligation as a father to be a source of security and comfort for her, and if he's so tied up in his own problems that he can't be that, then he needs to get himself some help. And if a good public thrashing will force him to that, then I'll happily pile on. I'll pile on Kim, too, if it will help their kid. She's the only innocent party in this whole morass. Even if she was thoughtless, she's an 11 year old KID, going through hell while the two people she is supposed to love and trust slash each other's throats. She's the victim.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #40

Keep in mind and it's been said before, there are 3 sides to every story. And we haven't heard all 3.