Alfred Hoffman passes away

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I read in the obituaries today that he died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 102.

Regarding LSD and other psychoactive drugs, he said they "changed my life, insofar as they provided me with a new concept about what reality is. Before, I had believed there was only one reality: the reality of everyday life."

After dozens of acid trips, he finally gave up psychedelics. "I know LSD; I don't need to take it anymore," he said.

Remarkably similar to my view.

For those not in the know, you forgot to mention that Hoffman was the [-]hero[/-] chemist who synthesized LSD.

I just wonder how fried his brain was?

Probably not very. Betcha he had very clean acid. I know someone who did mass quantities on a regular basis over a period of some years. They are alive, hard-working, moral, sensible and rational. They don't do acid anymore. Seems that the last major trip they took (real hungry and the acid was on sugar cubes - many more than a couple cubes were eaten) they ended up standing in a forest until they decided they didn't want to be a tree. They chose to be human, which is kind of a cool thing. Like choosing to be a man or a woman, rather than just being what you happen to be.

Ground control to Major Tom:
Your circuit's dead, there's something wong.
Can you hear me Major Tom?
Can you hear me Major Tom?
Can you hear me Major Tom? Can you ...

coincidentally, the FLIFF | Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival tonight celebrates the 40th anniversary of "hair".
OMG, talk about 60s flashbacks :) That took me back to my days as a Psychiatric Aide at the Illinois Psychiatric Institute during college. I was on an acute ward where we occasionally took field trips. One was to a matinee show of Hair. Anybody who has been knows that the cast tries to get some interaction with the audience by running through the aisles and cajoling people to get up and sing, dance, etc. Big mistake with my crew.... It was loads of fun.

Oh for the old days when people would reenact their LSD trips when undergoing anesthesia !

I saw 'Hair' in NYC back in Dec '68; crap I'm old.
As a young officer I watched an official Navy training film that showed sailors how to help their shipmates through acid flashbacks.

I was also put on temporary duty orders and paid to sit in a classroom being trained how to inhale marijuana smoke, for which I was awarded a graduation certificate...

Today's Navy just ain't what it used to be-- thank goodness.

As a young officer I watched an official Navy training film that showed sailors how to help their shipmates through acid flashbacks.
OK, help makes sense

I was also put on temporary duty orders and paid to sit in a classroom being trained how to inhale marijuana smoke, for which I was awarded a graduation certificate...
But this one needs a little explanation. Was the theory simply that if you were going to do something you should do it right? >:D

Was this *after* Pres Clinton claimed to have done it wrong? I guess education is the answer? - ERD50

Back
Top Bottom