Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My Thursday group pays $7 each. $1 goes to each of 2 closest to the pin holes (usually the shortest par 3 on the front and on the back) where the closest to the pin wins the pot of $ (so if 4 guys play that day the winner gets $24 for each "greenie"). The remaining $5 goes to a pot and we have a blind draw of 2-man teams and compute a best ball low net score. We usually pay 4-5 places. For example last week we had 24 players and 1st to 5th paid $40, $30, $25, $15, $10, respectively.

In addition each foursome usually play a "6-6-6" with three 6 hole low net matches with the first match each cart, the second match cart drivers vs cart passengers and the third match cart driver/other cart passenger teams for $1 per 6 hole match.

So at worst, the day will cost you $10, but on a really good day you could win $40.

Shortly after I retired, I did splurge and buy new equipment as my old set was about 15 years old and the technology of golf has improved with easier to hit clubs. IIRC I spent about $1,000 for 3&5 woods, 4-6 hybrids, 7-9, PW, GW, SW, LW and putter. I buy used Titleists at Walmart (24 non-ProV balls for $15 IIRC). while I prefer the non-ProV Titleists, I have been finding a lot of ProV1s in good condition lately.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post

Free golf? Not unless you want to play in some farmers field. Just doesn't exist.
While it's kind of outside of the forum's concept, you can usually play for free at private courses when they're closed if you're an employee. I caddied for 8 years starting when I was 12. Unfortunately, despite being at one of Golf Digest's top 100 courses, I just played a few rounds! One of my biggest regrets as a teen. I enjoy watching the game a little bit, and am very knowledgeable, but just didn't get the passion that my brother developed. Will play, on average, maybe once a year for work-related outings. I have some talent, just need to spend more time on the course.

Perhaps in my later years after I retire I'll pick it up again?

Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
I played occasionally as a kid and into my 20's and 30's. Really caught the bug when I was in graduate school and could buy a season pass at the university course for $500 or so per year. Golf became a lot more fun when I started shooting 75 instead of 85. I've averaged 100+ rounds per year for the last 25 years. After we moved to DC 8 years ago I tried public golf for couple of years but not having a group to play with it would end up taking the entire day to wait for an opening and then play a 5-6 hour round. So ended up joining a club and have located a group of fellow avid walkers. Rounds average out to about $50 each. No gambling in my group but nice social time together. I also play in the various tournaments the club holds. I really enjoy it when the temps drop below 50 and/or rise above 90 because that reduces the number of people on the course and my group can walk it in 3 hours. The damn cart riders are SO SLOW!.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
While it's kind of outside of the forum's concept, you can usually play for free at private courses when they're closed if you're an employee.
Most of the courses I'm familiar with let their employees play for free as long as there is an open tee time. Most of the elderly starters and marshalls you see working at a golf course aren't there for the pay (minimum wage at best) but for the free golf.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote