Join Early Retirement Today

All about Sport
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

All about Sport

Hard to find a wider subject for discussion, but since sports are such a big part of our lives, is there a trend or discernable directions for what we might see on the horizon... and how does sport fit into your life?

Some top of the head wonderings...

Men - Woman sports. Will woman's sports become more popular?
TV coverage... More? Less? Pay? Free?
What sports are gaining in or losing popularity?
College, Semi Pro, Professional... even grammar school sports.
Will the overall popularity grow or remain the same?
How much money is involved? Is public spending growing or leveling off?
Watch live or on TV?
Filling Stadiums?
Scholarships? What sports?

The list goes on forever, but there are always trends, always news, always a big part of what we see and do. Are you more involved in spectator sports, or do you particpate? If you have kids, did/do they participate?

Sports as an economic factor? Nationally? As an investment? Personal expenditure on TV? Live attendance? Personal sport... equipment, fees, memberships?

Sport as a part of your retirement? Time and Dollars and maybe where you live?

So, yeah... big subject... no beginning or end. Just bits and pieces that play a part in our life. No reason to try and pull it all together in an essay, but perhaps a place to share some of the things that we're interested in.
.................................................. ..............
Top of the head:
Getting interested in soccer as a continuous action sport.
Sports scholarship paid for my college education.
Never been to a live venue in 30 years
Was a Nascar fan, but it's getting to be boring.
Personal sports... boating, canoeing, biking, swimming, boogie boarding....old age is catching up, but the last hope for keeping healthy.
Can't believe the cost to take the family to a live event. Who are the attendees?
Separate budget item for sport?
Wonder why cities pay for commercial sports stadiums
Biggest fans I know... one son and a 94 year old neighbor who knows everything.
Never understood Cricket
Fishing is a sport... not sure about Pro Wrestling.
Why not annual Oympics?
Who buys what from sporting goods stores?
What's the most expensive hobby-sport?
Is sports betting a big thing?
Physical sport vs. Fitness center?

Whaddya think?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was younger, I was fairly passionate about my favorite teams. But as I've gotten older, I view pro and big-time college sports as more of a business, and also feel that since I have no vested interest in and/or control of the outcome, why am I cheering for a particular team or investing so much time and energy and money following the team?

But concurrent with my declining interest in following sports in the above way, I've developed a deeper interest in sports history, and also in my own athletic pursuits and supporting the athletic pursuits of those who are close to me.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been very competitive and interested in sports my entire life. As the body deteriorates the wallet has taken a bigger role in the competitiveness. So yes I enjoy betting on teams especially season win totals. It juices up the interest in the game being watched. I even got sent to the principals office as a 5th grader busted for running a football gambling ring.
Women sports? Well I have as much interest in that as I do listening to a women play by play or color announcer....none...
Probably the only sexist bone I have in my body, but its there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

Live sports may be the only thing to keep broadcast TV going 20? 10? years from now.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

I will watch a good game occasionally, but to be honest I usually have better things to do with my time. I do not follow any specific teams, and my life is not affected one way or another if local/favorite/sentimental team wins or loses.

My biggest issue is too many things to get done and sitting on my butt in front of the the TV, or taking time to go in-person, is just not time I want to prioritize over my other activities. If I was not working I may have more free time, but now that time is better utilized doing other things than watching sports.

If financial aspects of sports relied on me, they would all go broke.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Watching sports, and stuffing face with the usual crap is the usual sport of far too many. With predictable results in girth, sloth and morbid obesity.

For me, Doing my favorite skating, Ju-jutsu, and other workouts is the sport.

Never watcing sports is also imperative. Let alone paying for the privilege.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"I watch sports on tv for exercise. I'm really tired after a good game, aren't you?"

Gallagher

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

It's what keeps the cable TV business model going nowadays.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

Sports are mostly a waste of time and resources, except for the select few that can use it to control other people.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Sports are mostly a waste of time and resources, except for the select few that can use the it to control other people.

So I can take a wild guess and say you aren't pleased with having to subsidize my cost of watching a hockey game that I am currently watching?
I used to think I would love ala cart cable pricing. But once I found out how the sports stations are really subsidized, I don't speak that talk anymore.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
So I can take a wild guess and say you aren't pleased with having to subsidize my cost of watching a hockey game that I am currently watching?
I used to think I would love ala cart cable pricing. But once I found out how the sports stations are really subsidized, I don't speak that talk anymore.
Hey, I didn't say my opinion was popular.
I wasn't really referring to pay TV, although that works too. The only pay TV I get is Netflix, no satellite or cable.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I used to play a lot of golf until the game started to get the best of me. Now I play fetch with our dog.

I was a pitcher in college and played city league softball until I was about 50. I used to love professional baseball but now it is a money sport like the rest of them.

I was also a pretty good long distance runner between 1978 and 1988, but injuries got the best of me. Now walking is what's left of that.

I'm pretty much burned out and have a titanium hip, steel in one arm and a bum shoulder. Some parts still work OK but not for competition sports, just some indoor entertainment.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #13

My sports consumption is mostly limited to watching Little League games and rec center team basketball. But I'm the mom of middle schoolers - so it goes with the territory. Just spent 2 hours of my life watching a little league game... My husband is out at the other son's game as I type this.

We are watching a bit of March Madness... watched my alma mater (SDSU Aztecs) go down in flames... now we're rooting for the Wildcats... SIL works at UKY in a position where she deals daily with these athletes. She says they're really good kids.

I don't spend a lot of money on sports - just the little league fees, and fees for basketball - but these are rec teams, so not as expensive as the "travel teams" that pop up for the super players (who's parents can afford it.) All in we spent about $1k for 2 kids. And that included 2 chess club competitions as well (I put that under sports in Quicken because I didn't want to start a new category.)

As far going to see franchise sports... eh... not so much. My husband took the boys to a USD Toreros baseball game... we're skipping the little league outing to the Padres - too expensive, not fun enough.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I used to play a lot of golf until the game started to get the best of me. Now I play fetch with our dog.

I was a pitcher in college and played city league softball until I was about 50. I used to love professional baseball but now it is a money sport like the rest of them.

I was also a pretty good long distance runner between 1978 and 1988, but injuries got the best of me. Now walking is what's left of that.

I'm pretty much burned out and have a titanium hip, steel in one arm and a bum shoulder. Some parts still work OK but not for competition sports, just some indoor entertainment.

I here you....I am in preserve and protect mode also...lift weights but not heavy ones, and walk.. I still golf but only hit tennis balls back and forth with friend making sure we don't keep score so we don't become competitive and hurt the joints.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I went to the 1st round and round of 32 at Key Arena last weekend. I enjoyed them, went with my sons and some of their work friends. One guy brought his 9 year old son, who was a huge Cardinals fan. Great to be reminded of how enthusiastic kids can be. I am amused by people who can't separate watching sports from eating junk food, or assume that if you watch sports you are a couch potato. Maybe some are, but plenty others are not.

Last week I found time to watch 6 basketball games, and walk 39 miles, plus row on my rowing machine and do some kettlebells.

Ha
Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before I ER'd, I thought going to Spring Training games would be a regular for me. Tickets were $38!!!! And the visiting team sends a bunch of guys that are low level minor leaguers. Haven't been back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I watch as many Chicago Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bears games on TV as possible. Sometimes 5 or 6 games a week in the winter. Used to go to a lot of Bulls games in the Jordan era. Now go to a few spring training and regular White Sox games a year.

I played softball on and off until I was in my mid 50's, and played baseball and basketball in high school. Like others in the preserve and protect mode, I don't participate in sports anymore. The emergency room, doctor, and therapy bills got to be too expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #18

I love sports as long as I can participate otherwise I really don't care about sitting and paying money to watch someone else have fun. I enjoyed participating in basketball, baseball, swim team, track and field events, cycling, running, sprint triathlons, canoe/kayaking, backpacking, tai chi, etc. but I can't tell you the names of any of these over paid athletes or follow the competitions. Nowdays I am more limited to what I can do but I will continue to do what I can. I just don't care or have the desire to support organized/professional sports. I have other interests for my money and time.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
gone traveling

I'll always take playing over watching, but when you get old, your options can become more limited. Used to play adult hardball as a pitcher, but eye sight deteriorated to the point I had to stop (games were at night). Now I play softball during the day, but even with that, I find my fielding is hampered due to eye sight and difficulty bending over. Used to shoot USPSA pistol matches, but again, eye sight made it difficult to see the sights properly, so now I'm beginning to get into shooting target rifle with a scope. Golf for the most part has not suffered too much, but can't get the turn I used to, so don't crank em as far. That said, I still love watching football and baseball, but now get more enjoyment out of college sports vs professional. Also enjoy watching gymnastics, track and field, winter sports, hockey, MMA, boxing, tennis, etc. I never liked basketball because I always sucked at that as a player.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

I always liked to participate in sports, but was never good at any of them. As an adult, I was able to be in a local men's softball league. There were 2 divisions, one more competitive than the other. I was in the less competitive division .
But my mediocre softball skills became less than mediocre as I got older, so I retired from that sport. I now do 3 individual sports - running, swimming and cycling. I'm slow at all 3, but I enjoy them with a passion.
I'm still a season-ticket holder to the NY Giants, but I gotta confess the cold-weather games in the last 2 seasons have been much tougher to deal with. (although, it might have to do with the team's poor play!).
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote