All Time Favorite TV Series

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Mine is "Midsomer Murders" ... that began in 1997, and continues today on Prime. 118 Episodes.

I'm on my second time around, and enjoying it even more, with the original Inspector Barnaby. We're growing old together. :)

What I like, is that the video is light and bright... not dark and gloomy, the way new movies and videos are made to save production costs.

Based on the crime-novel series by author Caroline Graham, `Midsomer Murders' follows the efforts of Detective Chief Inspector John Barnaby to solve crimes that occur in the wealthy, isolated English county of Midsomer, a picturesque and peaceful place on the outside but one filled with amoral and snobbish eccentrics with all kinds of vices. Chief Inspector Barnaby is the younger cousin of DCI Tom Barnaby who retired in 2011. His right-hand man is Detective Sergeant Jamie WInter, who is young, keen and smart as a whip. 'Midsummer Murders' is the UK's longest-running contemporary detective drama, having aired on ITV since 1997.

Last edited:
Ginger or Mary Ann? Jeannie or Samantha? Batgirl or Catwoman?

Sorry, but I can't possibly narrow it down to one single series.

But I can name some of the top contenders:
The Honeymooners
Get Smart
McHale's Navy
Hogan's Heroes
Star Trek
Lost in Space
Green Acres
The Addams Family
All in the Family
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Happy Days (before it jumped the shark)
The Bob Newhart Show
Taxi
Home Improvement
The Simpsons
The Sopranos

And a few from our friends across the pond
Good Neighbors (known in Britain as The Good Life)
Blackadder
Yes Minister
To the Manor Born
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Rumpole of the Bailey

You'll probably notice a pattern of mostly comedies, with a few sci-fi and crime-related shows thrown in. You'll also notice that none of these is currently in production. If you knew me you wouldn't be surprised.

Older Series - If I can only pick one, I'd probably say Dallas. JR was my hero.

Newer Series - Tie between Billions and House of Cards

Older Series - If I can only pick one, I'd probably say Dallas. JR was my hero.

Newer Series - Tie between Billions and House of Cards

+ 1 for JR and the whole Dallas crew. It may have helped to be living in Texas at the time..

Seinfeld
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Andy Griffith
Green Acres
The Carol Burnett Show
Twilight Zone
Fractured Fairy Tales
Dark Shadows

Frasier
Boston Legal
The West Wing
The Carol Burnett Show
Taxi
The Simpsons

Last edited:
I watch less TV these days and even the shows I once liked most, got long in the tooth so I didn’t miss them once they went off the air - e.g. M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Big Bang Theory. The only favorite show I can think of that I wish had run longer was

Northern Exposure

I wasn’t as big a fan, but I have a friend who loved, and wished this one had gone on forever

Seinfeld

Last edited:
Mine are:

All in the Family
Star Trek
Star Trek: The Next Generation
L.A. Law
Law & Order (original series)
Honeymooners
Seinfeld
Mission: Impossible
Beverly Hills 90210
The Good Wife (only recently got into it now that it's in syndication)

I used to like Wagon Train.

Enjoyed Homeland too.

Last edited:
The Rockford Files
The MTM Show
Roseanne
Seinfeld
Forensic Files

My attention span is too short to watch dramas and I haven't seen most of the newer shows.

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Soap, Taxi, and Barny Miller. Soap was so far ahead of its time.
When Funniest Home Videos came out it was a lot of fun. I cannot stop laughing watching Whose Line is It Anyway.

Lassie
Bonanza
Bewitched
My Friend Flicka
Black Stallion
The Man from Uncle
Mission Impossible
The Smothers Brothers

One of my faves which sadly has not reappeared on anything streaming was The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd.

Just off the top of my head

Game of Thrones
Fawlty Towers
The Good Wife
Bojack Horseman
Rubicon

Back
Top Bottom