abalanced
retrobalanced
semibalanced
quasibalanced
neobalanced
hemibalanced
kilobalanced

Waiting for the plumber...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Hang onto yer hats! The market's gonna fluctuate!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This just gets curiouser and curiouser.
In some circles, it appears to be better labeled as a wife-beater, or perhaps even a child molester than being called a dirty market timer.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Actually I took advantage of your thread and sold so I am a happy camper . I now know to not schedule my re balancing just wait for one of these threads and act on it !
Are you still happy?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Are you still happy?
Yes , I have next years money safely put aside and now the market can do whatever !
Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yes , I have next years money safely put aside and now the market can do whatever !
So, you sold a little bit, not the whole portfolio. I was under the impression you were out because you said that you "sold".
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I turned over my stocks about 50-60 % during 2008-2009. Very interesting to me that many of the stocks I bought are at all time highs, and some of them 50 to 100% over their former lifetime highs.

I think this is a bad sign, because in at least 35 years of active investing it has always been a bad sign. Can't say when, can't say how or why, but somthing will get cought in the wringer and many of these will get knocked down again.

After the start of the year I will likely rebalance in my fashion. Not waiting until then for market timing reasons, but for tax reasons.

Ha
Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Rebalance, rebalance, rebalance............
I do this after every 12 ounces.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also at an all time high - about $100K higher than I was in June of 2008 when I sat in my hotel room in Seoul, ran Fidelity Fullview, and said, "Wow I can't believe I am worth $x.x MM". Sadly 5 months later I was worth about half that....

I went 90% into equities in Nov 2008 - now I am aggressively derisking my portfolio - going to 60/40 - paid off my mortgage and all other debt - reducing my position in (former) employer stock and exercising employee stock options... so hopefully when the next downturn comes I won't be so exposed.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
..."Wow I can't believe I am worth $x.x MM". Sadly 5 months later I was worth about half that....
Let's see...

From Oct 2007 to March 2009, S&P 500 went from 1549 to 677, a loss of 56%. I was fortunate to lose much less than that, considering that I had quite a bit of high-beta stocks. I was lucky to sell off some to raise some cash before it got too late. For example I had Potash (POT) which was as high as 240, then dropped as low as 50. It is at 140 now.

I have recovered my loss, but that was scary, scary stuff... I lost a similar percentage from March 2000 to March 2003. What an interesting decade!

What is in store for us, I don't know but we can never say life is dull.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have recovered my loss, but that was scary, scary stuff... I lost a similar percentage from March 2000 to March 2003. What an interesting decade!

What is in store for us, I don't know but we can never say life is dull.
Could be more ... are we in a wide trading range?

Decision Point ®: Secular Status - Chart Spotlight