Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Allowing Nations To Form Democracies In Their Own Style
Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
I think we've already been "couped." Twice. It was not a good thing.

And, as much as I hate to say it...but I think you need to be very careful bandying terms like "coup" around on the internet. Remember, W and his henchmen don't need to worry about getting legal warrents any more in order to spy on citizens
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I just want to shout out to Homeland Security/FBI and the SS we're just kidding..hehheheheheheh
Tawny - you are so right. It bears repeating. I hope the software program they use to sniff the internet understands sardonic irony or was it wry sarcasm used in an ironic manner...I don't think I understand irony myself....any English majors out there, I know there are some tightasses uptight dudes here who are into correcting people's spelling... :P
Well, anyway, if you don't hear from me for a good long while, will you guys miss me enough to get your kayaks and pancakes out and come down to Cuba and put a good word in for me or are you going to just forget and go on with your self-centered ER life or your self-centered pursuit of ER life....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I know the FBI don't understand sarcasm or wit. Here's a story from the United States during WW2: A great-aunt of mine was at her regular card game with a bunch of elderly friends. Someone made a comment on a mutuall friend, who had recently changed her name from an obviously German form--eg., Schmidt--to an Americanized form, like Smith. This in order to escape the strong anti-German sentiment in the States during the war.

My great aunt snorted and said "I am proud to be a German-American! Having a German name is nothing to be ashamed of!"

And within the week, she was picked up and interrogated by the FBI. She had been turned in by a "friend." She, born in the US and a proud citizen, was made to defend her patriotism to a goon squad.

It has happened here before, it can happen again.

Did I mention we were fighting Hitler during that war? Or that the ladies had just attended a pancake supper?
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #23

Holy crap!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Should not these postings be at, Is any one worried about the state of our country
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
Should not these postings be at, Is any one worried about the state of our country
I guess they could Max, sure, but they're not, they're here.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #26

Unless the Democrats win one or both houses of Congress, impeachment is out of the question. *You do notice that Hillary and Kerry are not proclaiming the need to impeach. Could this be because they intend to run in 2008. *

How about an October surprise? *I think if Osama were captured or killed in October that it might make the Democrats look foolish (again). *Or the military could initiate a scorched earth policy against the Iraqi terrorists.* Or Zaracawi could be bagged.* Events will determine whether or not the Republicans control Congress after November, and guess what, they (read Karl Rove) get to initiate a lot of events. *All of the current polls are meaningless with the exception of rallying the liberal faithful and raising campaign funds. *With an upturn in the polls, GWB will rally the Republicans who are currently deserting and delay his lame duck status.* He also needs a presidential successor.* Stay tuned.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #27

. . .
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
Unfortunately, if you dont shootspray the next 5 guys in succession with bird pellets, you get pretty much the same thing.
that's not true at all. *Although polls show that GWB has lost credibility by a large majority of voters, they also show that 2/3 of the Republican voters still support and believe him. *This still gives him some power. *Cheny, on the other hand is pretty much considered a disaster even by knee-jerk Republicans. *He would be powerless.

I also have to disagre with your analysis about whether we had to go to war in Iraq. *People forget this, but no one cared about Iraq when this started. *No one thought they were a threat. *Americans had forgotten Iraq and so had everyone else. *The polls showed this over and over again. *This administration pounded a drumbeat about the dangers of Saddam and Iraq for over a year before they could get any traction from even loyal Republicans. *They tried a whole range of excuses -- all of which have been shown to be untrue. *They never did get any traction from the rest of the world (except Tony Blair). *There was no danger from Iraq before 9/11. *We've created the danger by making the country a magnet for terrorists from all over the mid-east. *
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should re-read my post. I never said saddam and iraq were a threat.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Unless the Democrats win one or both houses of Congress, impeachment is out of the question. *You do notice that Hillary and Kerry are not proclaiming the need to impeach. Could this be because they intend to run in 2008. *

How about an October surprise? *I think if Osama were captured or killed in October that it might make the Democrats look foolish (again). *Or the military could initiate a scorched earth policy against the Iraqi terrorists.* Or Zaracawi could be bagged.* Events will determine whether or not the Republicans control Congress after November, and guess what, they (read Karl Rove) get to initiate a lot of events. *All of the current polls are meaningless with the exception of rallying the liberal faithful and raising campaign funds. *With an upturn in the polls, GWB will rally the Republicans who are currently deserting and delay his lame duck status.* He also needs a presidential successor.* Stay tuned.
Wow, can I have a hit off whatever bong you are smoking from?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #31

US Democracy has always been evolving - its taken us 200+ years to get to this imperfect democracy we now have. We have gone through so much ugliness to get here.... it is amazing this dynamic institution that Jefferson, Adams, Franklin,etc came up with, yet we have that painful history....

In the well meaning imposing of democracy in areas of the world that don't have a tradition of democracy and the bill of rights - where the dynamic is complicated by unique culture, religion, the suppression of women, etc. - we are seeing a version of democracy that isn't in the present American image.

We shouldn't expect it to catch up with our version anytime soon.
We could see democracy spread further in the world and be dealing with democratic counties that behave in ways that we abhor.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
We shouldn't expect it to catch up with our version anytime soon.
You say that like its a bad thing...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #33

Quote:
You say that like its a bad thing...
Yeah, even though we are not in the bestest of shape, we could see democracy spread further in the world and be dealing with democratic counties that behave in ways that we abhor.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if someone will come around at some point, invade the US, and have us change to their new, revised and correct version.

It'd be kinda fun. We could blow stuff up and shoot at them and stuff.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #35

Quote:
I wonder if someone will come around at some point, invade the US, and have us change to their new, revised and correct version.

It'd be kinda fun. We could blow stuff up and shoot at them and stuff.
No.
Unfortunately, we will be spending our treasure, our soldiers trying to control these new born democracys.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Wow, can I have a hit off whatever bong you are smoking from?
Yeah, right, this coming from the poster who wants a Murtha/Feingold ticket.

If you think either or both of those gents will win the nomination or have a chance to win the presidency any greater than a snowball in hell, then you must have a corner on the bong market.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Yeah, right, this coming from the poster who wants a Murtha/Feingold ticket.

If you think either or both of those gents will win the nomination or have a chance to win the presidency any greater than a snowball in hell, then you must have a corner on the bong market.

Not to be overly flippant, but do you really think that Feingold or Murtha (or Alfred E. Newman) could possibly do a worse job than the current boobs?

I'm a pacifist, so I have very dim views on the current bunch, personally. As a citizen (lower standard), I would at least like to see competence. Still wating on that count.

Do they have a chance of winning the nomination? I dunno. A lot could happen in two years. Almost impossible to handicap things this far out. I would be willing to say that both Hillary and DeLay would be DOA, though.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Alright, boobs!! :P

Hopefully, DeLay will be in prison, where he belongs, before the next election cycle.

I think Kinky Friedman should skips Tx, and go straight for the white House!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Not to be overly flippant, but do you really think that Feingold or Murtha (or Alfred E. Newman) could possibly do a worse job than the current boobs?

I'm a pacifist, so I have very dim views on the current bunch, personally.* As a citizen (lower standard), I would at least like to see competence.* Still wating on that count.

Do they have a chance of winning the nomination?* I dunno.* A lot could happen in two years.* Almost impossible to handicap things this far out.* I would be willing to say that both Hillary and DeLay would be DOA, though.
I am not a pacifist but I do have a dim view of what's happening.* As Colin Powell told him, "you break it, you own it."*I believe you do your best NOT to go to war, but when you decide to go, then get it done brutally and quickly.* *I heard (on NPR) a Brit talk about supporting us on Iraq.* This guy (can't remember his name) said the Brits thought we were going to install another pro-USA dictator.* All this nonsense about democracy is just eyewash, after the WMDs didn't show up.* That being said, you will note in my original post that I did not say I liked what will happen when ole Karl gets going, but something is going to happen.* Spin is the name of the game.* If Rove*doesn't or can't work his magic, then look for GWB to become a very lame duck.* We have some experience with Mr. Rove here in Texas and he believes in winning. Also, if the Republicans lose the Congress, the Democrats might try impeachment.* I say might because they will remember how the Rs took it on the chin by impeaching Bill.* The difference now is that Bill had high ratings so the Senate couldn't vote to convict.* GWB will have a tougher time if impeached.

As to Feingold and Murtha and Hillary, the Dems have better candidates.* All three of the above are losers IMHO.* Since Hillary's got all the money, she's probably going to get the nomination.* Then we'll replay Whitewater, etc. Politics is fun.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
DeLay will be in prison
Maybe he gets put into a cell with Ken Lay?

Ok boys, this is your new cell mate, Mr. Pyita. Mr Pyita, this is mr lay, and mr delay.