Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
It is amazing how many INTs are on this board, I'm an INTP.
I'm an INTJ - this is the quick test that I took. I'm sure there are other more accurate ones.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
INTP here as well. Did a fun, fun group thing at work one year where we got to see how people with various personality types approached problems. (fun and workgroups don't generally go hand in hand I know).

We took tests ahead of time but didn't know the results. We were then grouped for various exercises based on how we strongly we leaned towards whatever characteristic that exercise was supposed to highlight.

For the last exercise, we were divided into four groups and told to plan the perfect vacation. Our group talked for two minutes and wrote out "we're going to Tahiti." That was the extent of it. The group with the polar opposite leanings to us planned out a trip across Canada, including what type of vehicle they'd drive, how far they'd drive each day, where they would stop, what they would see, what they would eat, etc. The other two groups landed somewhere along that gradient.

The fact that my wife and I have packed up the car and gone on a 15 hour road trip because we were bored... and also taken a 2000 mile detour on a trip out west seem to bear out the personality test

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm an INTJ - this is the quick test that I took. I'm sure there are other more accurate ones.
According to that test, I'm also INTJ. Taking tests is fun.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

I am an INTJ and DW is one too (she had to re-take the Myers-Briggs test at work last week and it confirmed her previous result).

I like to be by myself. DW travels a lot for work so, even though I am married, I do spend a lot of time alone at home. People absolutely drain me. I do have some good friends and I am very close to my family. Since my friends and family live thousands of miles away, we don't see each other all that often, but I enjoy the rare occasions when we do.

People often wonder what I do by myself all the time. Well, I always have a lot of things to do (my current project is to turn all my old photo negatives into digital pictures and organize them in digital albums). I rarely turn on the TV during the day and I always find that time flies much faster than I would like it to. I can't say I ever feel bored or lonely.

I am a bit worried about what will happen when DW retires. I think we will have to set up some "alone time" so we don't get on each other's nerves.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #65

ISTJ I is 100 S is 12 T is 88 J is 67
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Self-selection of the board's membership.

Or perhaps a large dose of survivor bias...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I: 22
N: 75
T: 62
J: 44

I used to be more of an introvert, but I'm actively working on it. Glad to see that my tendency to be judgmental appears to be in check!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Other's have noticed the ER personality type also...

take a look at this link:

Is There a Retire Early Personality Type?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #69

Mead, my J is usually 100 when I take the MBTI!
Nords, also my thanks for that article. Always good to know that we are not alone, even if we prefer it sometimes.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #70
Administrator

My lifestyle has changed drastically in retirement. I thought maybe retirement would have changed my personality too, but according to that test I am still strongly INTJ.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My lifestyle has changed drastically in retirement. I thought maybe retirement would have changed my personality too, but according to that test I am still strongly INTJ.

Do you think it is strange that, of all the people on this forum, the vast majority who replied to the thread are INTJ? Seems birds of a feather....

I'd suggest we start a club, but I suspect no one would come to the meetings.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Do you think it is strange that, of all the people on this forum, the vast majority who replied to the thread are INTJ? Seems birds of a feather....

I'd suggest we start a club, but I suspect no one would come to the meetings.
Perhaps those on this forum who aren't INT's weren't interested in this particular thread, so therefore didn't contribute
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
... you can hear the wood drying in here and I love the sound of silence. This is why I said where I am is not rural enough even tho I'm on a dirt road in a small town of 5600. If I could I'd live in the middle of 1000 acres and have the nearest person at least 5 miles away that would be great.

I too wonder if this propensity to being a loner is partly responsible for our ability to FIRE?
Nope, you're not the only one. DW and I are both ISTJ's. We can go to a loud party and enjoy it, but then it takes us both three days to recover.

I remember shortly after I earned my pilot's license, on a flight at 6,000 feet I realized that "Hey, the nearest person is at least a mile away!" Most days the air there is smooth as glass and it's like sitting in your living room, with the airplane trimmed you can fly it with a fingertip. That sense of isolation is sometimes hard to find anywhere near the Washington, DC area.

And that "quiet time" was one of the things I liked about working midnight shifts. At the time after midnight or so they all but rolled up the sidewalks, at least during the weekdays. So unless "the stuff hit the fan" there wasn't much to do besides drive around and listen to the all-night radio.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
there wasn't much to do besides drive around and listen to the all-night radio.
I was the all-night DJ on a radio station in Reno in the late 1980's. Loved that shift. I felt as if the night belonged to myself and a just small number of listeners. At that time of night in Reno, it probably was a rather small number as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #75

Nui, don't even start on the left-handers--not only is this forum disproportionately INTJ and ISTJ, but lots more lefties than the expected populace.

I think just like there are a lot of engineers here (not me!), the concept of ER and being able to entertain ourselves after retiring simply appeals more to introverts. The extroverts are happier running the world, I suspect.

heh heh heh (a nod to my favorite left handed INTJ on the forum, Uncle Mick)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
It's nice to know I'm not psychotic and that there are other people out there like me.

Nui
My brother retired at age 42. Everyone said: What is wrong with him. I said: Nothing!

He was sociable but not social. Unlike me.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #77

This has been a really wonderful thread. Thank you for starting it Nui.

I think it was only fairly recently that I fully came to terms with my introversion. I mean, it's not exactly a particularly nice word, sounding too much like "ingrown" or "incest". That's not entirely a joke either - if other words were used to describe introverts and extroverts, we might be thought of a little more kindly by the extreme extroverts who find it hard to understand us.

Although I do like people and need to be around others, like a lot of people here have said about themselves, I'm not good in large social groups, preferring either small ones or time one on one with people that I'm close to. For years when I was younger, I don't think I quite understood why it was that although I was a nice person and people liked me, I didn't have a lot of friends - and I thought that meant there was something wrong with me. Because the majority of people are extroverts, I tended to judge myself by their social guidelines. It's probably similar to how a gay kid must feel growing up in a mainly heterosexual world - the social "norms" and rules are set by the majority.

Even though I now know there's nothing wrong with me and that I am a nice guy, it's comforting to read that others here have similar experiences and feelings.

It's just after noon, I'm sitting in my pajamas on the computer working on a few different projects. I've had 2 cups of coffee, a big bowl of oatmeal, and the kitty is sleeping happily on the bed next to me. Life is pretty good
Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny how we're so quick to assume that there's something wrong with us because we prefer alone time.

I've always felt like an outsider looking in. I see people looking forward to parties and I don't understand that feeling. When I was 9, I begged my parents to stop throwing me birthday parties....I HATED them. When I was 14, my mom thought I was so strange that she actually took me to the doctor to ask him to fix me because I had no friends, no social life and no apparent desire to get either one. I lived at the library.

When I turned 50, despite my warnings that I do not celebrate birthdays, my brother and my dance teacher (my EXTREMELY social friend) decided to throw a surprise birthday party for me. It would have been on the same night as The X-files and I was a big fan, plus I had the x-philes anonymous chat room to go to for post-episode dissection. They tried everything to get me to agree to go out for the evening and I just said no. Finally, 3 days before, they had to tell me about the big surprise party. I told them I was sorry, but I was staying home to watch X-files and nothing was going to change my mind. They had to cancel the party. They tried to make me feel bad, but, while I understand that everyone thought I was rude and ungrateful, I have never felt the least bit guilty about it. My friend kept telling me that "all your friends" will be at the party, but for the life of me I could not think of a single friend other than him. Anyone else in my life is an acquaintance.

Over the years, I've learned to smile and to appear to have some social graces, but just once in my life I'd like to experience what it feels like to look forward to being with a bunch of people who aren't relatives.

BTW - I've warned my staff that there is to be no retirement party for me when the time comes. They can have a party if they want to - but I won't be there.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Has me at INTJ also.

I - 78
N - 12
T - 88
J - 22
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #80

I took the quick test referenced at the top of this page, and I am an ISFP. I apparently share personality traits with Princess Di, Elvis Presley, Auguste Rodin, and Frederic Chopin.
Please don't drum me out....diversity in all things is good!
I hope I live long enough to retire as I believe most of the above referenced celebs died young. I don't know about Rodin...will have to Google him.

Just looked him up: Rodin died at age 77 of influenza.