Join Early Retirement Today

Alright, whats the deal with 'manufactured' homes.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alright, whats the deal with 'manufactured' homes.

So i'm going to look at the prospective new Casa De Bunny tomorrow. Its a huge piece of property with a very large manufactured home on it priced about $150k below market. Big "problem" is that its sort of out-of-the-way which would suck for a daily commuter but isnt bad for a retiree with a part time working spouse. And apparently most default home searches dont look for "mobile/manufactured"homes in the MLS unless you ask it to. And most people dont.

So anyhow, I've been in a 'manufactured' house perhaps twice in my life. Certainly have read plenty about the new fru-fru ones made from SIP's with high efficiency but while this one looks realllly nice inside, its not one of those.

So given that I have absolutely no idea what is "good" or "bad" about a manufactured home, any input on what to look for or avoid?

Its 12 years old, about 2500 square feet, with about 1200 square feet of recent Trex decking, just under 10 acres with a half acre pond. I never had a pond before either. Other than making sure the septic isnt seeping into the pond, whats the deal with those?

Looks like central air/heat, wood outside, composition roof, granite kitchens and some marble in the master bath, finished wood ceilings and tile/carpet throughout.

Couple of pics:

Any hints/tips/tricks?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Alright, whats the deal with 'manufactured' homes.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Examine the utility bills and pop for a home inspection by a certified individual. If in snow/wet country examine driveway and parking area very carefully. Verify septic size and get pumped by seller if possible, walk the drainfield and look for soggy area & excessive growth. If on a well ask for the drillers report on depth and water table and get a water test (usually the local agricultural extension service or health dept can assist).

Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #3

You're buying a tornado magnet?

Differences between stick-built, modular, and manufactured:

link

I would find out who made it and how often they get sued.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
So i'm going to look at the prospective new Casa De Bunny tomorrow.
Go for it. Your Lexus will look really nice parked out front.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like you're going back to work to me.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wouldnt matter...the "driveway" is about 3/4 of a mile long and there are only two other homes within about a 2 mile radius.

In other words, anyone that ever sees the lexus is a trespasser!

Oh yeah, and the wifes already given the okay to get a gun!

Connie...all good info, thanks. I've had well/septic before, so i'm familiar with that part of the drill.

Looks like these come with an "ID plate", usually located near the electrical panel. I'll definitely have to research the 'maker'.

Biggest downside I can see so far besides being 'in the sticks' is depreciation on the "home". Good news is the BIL is a home builder and he's out of contracts about 18 months from now. We can have him build us something else on the lot somewhere.

Oh yeah, and between the woodsy area and the pond, we might get mountain lion, coyote, fox and some other thrilling critters. So no wandering off for Gabe and dogs will have to learn to stick near the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Sounds like you're going back to work to me.
Just for a few months. Get some work done updating the new place a little, move our stuff and critters, get the old place fixed up and sold. We're just replacing most of our furniture anyhow as what we've got is near the end of its lifecycle...and we need new carpet and paint inside the existing place as it is.

So not a huge net gain in 'work'. Besides, owning my own small mountain and my own body of water is kinda cool!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Uhh... aren't those the kind that have the "flyaway" feature included? Especially during high winds, tornados and, here in Florida, hurricanes?

Tear-down. Caveat emptor big time from what I hear.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Good news is that we dont get high winds, tornadoes or hurricanes anywhere near here. Well, there was a small freak tornado of short duration once about 50 miles away from where this is. And of course the minute I buy this sucker there'll be another one... :P

Only weather problems we have here is high heat (and its cooler in this location than where I live now)...maybe a handful of 100 degree days and plenty in the 90's...and lots of rain in the winter.

I'm already well schooled in checking insulation factors and making sure good drainage is present.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Be aware that once you move to a place with all that elbow room you will be spoiled forever. You will learn to despise crowds, traffic congestion, and will never want to live in a "normal" residential setting ever again. It will change your life.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #10

Fill in the pond. They attract mosquitos and toddlers.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
You will learn to despise crowds, traffic congestion, and will never want to live in a "normal" residential setting ever again.
I'm already there. Thats one of the prime motivations involved, along with the pleasure of opening my back door and letting the dogs run until they fall down from exhaustion. Which at this point is about 110 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Fill in the pond. They attract mosquitos and toddlers.
I'm wondering how much dirt it'd take to fill in a more than half acre pond. Then wondering about the legal implications of the other two adjoining owners deeded rights to use it. Then noting that its more than 200 yards from the house, and is currently stocked with fish. Which if they dont eat mosquitoes, will be replaced by ones that do.

I doubt Gabes gotten more than 20 feet from me in his entire life. I'm sure not letting him get 200 yards away! But point taken.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I doubt Gabes gotten more than 20 feet from me in his entire life. I'm sure not letting him get 200 yards away! But point taken.
Swimming lessons might not be a bad idea.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

He's already been in our little intex pool with me a few hundred times this past summer and even spent time in there with me as a 4-7 month old the year before. I used to be do lifeguarding and taught a few swimming lessons. He's quite comfortable in the water, floats on his back pretty well, and so far doesnt panic when he looses his footing.

Peed in his potty chair standing up this morning too. Well...mostly.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #14

Wildlife caveat: If you move to lion country, don't keep your dogs outside at night.

Folks in the mountains near where I live report lions in their yards in all seasons, and dogs regularly become dinner.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You might also want to get insurance estimates for the property.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in Florida the banks will not finance a manufactured home after its a certain age. Check your area if thats true you might find it hard to get your money back out of it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The mortgage interest rates on a mfg. home are often higher and the structures depreciate vs appreciate all other factors equal. They are rarely made to last long.

Were I you, and I loved the site and location, explore the possibility of replacing the manufactured home in the future. It will cost $$ to get rid of.

Be sure to check out activities for Gabe.. play school, preschool. Mom and Dad will likely be his early entertainment and educators.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

This unit is more high-end than the one I owned years ago, but the things I would look for based on my previous experience:

Since the house is not stick-framed, it quite possibly has preengineered floor trusses in it. Make sure plumbers didn't saw out truss bottom cords to run piping. Some folks aren't too smart about this obvious subtlety, and would rather saw out a chunk then reroute piping. Unfortunately, a truss with no bottom cord might as well not be there at all. Sometimes there is damage that occurs when the units are set into place as well, crushing etc. While you are at it, check the centering of the unit on the foundation. Shouldn't be a problem, but.... I would check the connection to the foundation for good measure. Surprising how often this isn't properly done. Get ahold of the set of plans. The a/e will have specified this detail carefully, and it's an important one.

Check out the seam down the middle of the house, especially at the roof. Sometimes the units sit in a yard for a while and get rained on. Roof plywood warps, then tar paper and shingles go on. The warpage leaves gaps which are covered by the tar paper. Roof problems can appear sooner than usual. Don't ask me how I know this.... Check attachment of roof trusses to top plate and attic venting (probably a bigger deal in Alaska, actually).

I'd hire a professional inspector, preferably one familiar with the contractor.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #19

Is that a plunger to the right of the tub? Why is it readily available?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #20

The pond had deeded rights by neighbors? What else do they have rights to? That could be a problem in the future.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote