Alternate Method for Estimating Lifespan

My wife and I assume it's at best 50/50 that we
will both be here by next weekend. In this respect we
are perfectly matched. It puts a whole different spin
on your approach to planning your life, I'll tell you that.

John Galt

My wife and I assume it's at best 50/50 that we will both be here by next weekend.
Perhaps you should keep your jelly beans out of reach of your dogs.

It puts a whole different spin on your approach to planning your life, I'll tell you that.
That's what I'm struggling with in addition to planning the next 15-30 years before retirment. I didn't take a ski vacation this past winter largely due to self-induced budget constraints while eliminating debt. On the one hand, if I live many years the tight budgeting now will pay off well into the future. On the other hand, if I die or have an ability-limiting injury over the summer then I may have missed my last chance to ski. Similarly, I have a limited number of winters to ski, and I just missed one.

The conundrum starts bugging me, then I realize on a worldwide scale I'm well above average in wealth and lifestyle, so I try not to complain so much.

Yep, BigMoneyJim, I feel your pain. I wrestle with
those questions every day. Right now my motorcycle is in Texas where I left it last winter. This means I am
missing some good riding time here in Illinois. Like you
said, how much more time do I have to ride:confused:
You're right though, compared to 99+% of the other folks on the planet, I live like a King and should not be
whining.

John Galt

BigMoney, it's about balance... You can't destroy ALL fun in your life in anticpation of a great retirement income. The working part is part of the journey too. I don't want to get into such a frugal mode that I don't enjoy those elements of my life that make me the most happy, give me the most enjoyment. Take the trip. Don't take 3 trips. Ride the Bike while the weather is great. In my case, it's find another guitar that blows my dress up.

Another way to look at it, you've got more discretionary income now during your prime working years then you will later when you have no "job" in the ER world. And you're in likely in better physical shape now then later when the bones start creaking and the recovery time lenthens.

I look at the now as the time when I'm practicing for the then. Those things that I find to be "fun" I'll be keeping on the list, the not fun stuff gets deleted. In ER I'll be concentrating on the fun stuff, and the beauty is THEN I'll have the TIME to properly devote to my hobbies, joys, activities, places, etc that I learned about during the WORK part of the journey. I expect the IGBW and I to live forever, I'll be disappointed when that doesn't happen, but that's still the plan.
Portugal.56.retirement.gif

I had lunch today with my main "biker" pal. He is 67 and I am close to 60. We discussed our next big "adventure", maybe a ride around Lake Michigan.
When we parted I reminded him that we are not getting any younger. He said that he thinks about that a lot.
Me too!

John Galt

Mmm, ride around lake michigan, that sounds great !  I'm in France right now, without my bike :-( but I think I'm going to rent one this weekend and hit the Rivierra (sp?).  Every spring I get the urge to dump the job, jump on the bike and take off in some direction that suits me, and come back when I'm ready, 1 year, 2, maybe never...  I tell myself I'll do that when I'm retired, then I read what John Galt has to say about the topic.  It is a connundrum for sure.  Then there was my biker buddy who died at 45 of a heart attack.....  Tough choices.  But for now my tough situation is that I have to ride a JAP bike to the Riverra and not a Harley, that is going to be a bit humbling..... (sorry JG !)!!

-pan-

Bonjour Panhead! When I was single, I often thought
about jumping on the bike and taking off, return date
undetermined. Now, I need to be a bit more
predictable, but still may wander a bit when I bring
my bike back north from Texas. BTW, I always wanted a Harley and may still get one although my riding days are
numbered. I'll tell you though, my Suzuki Intruder
still beats anything else I would want to ride, other
than a couple of Harley models. To be continued..........

John Galt

In the early 70s when I met my husband, he took me for a ride on a motorcyle and scared me to death. Go forward 20 years and I bought a little CT 70 at a rummage sale. Loved it and bought a Honda Rebel. Loved it and bought a Suzuki Savage. Loved it and bought a Yamaha Virago. Loved it and bought a Kawasawki Ninja. I always regretted every time I bought a new bike because I had to sell the old one. (This of course does not include the dirt bikes).

I don't consider myself a risk taker, but there is nothing like riding down the road on motorcycle. I highly recommend Wisconsin for both dirt and road riding.

Hi Martha! I've ridden all over the country on the bike.
However, I would have to say that my best miles were
in Wisconsin. I started with a Kawasaki 1000, then a
Yamaha 535 Virago, then a '97 Suzuki Intruder and now
a 2003 Suzuki Intruder. Probably my good experiences in Wisconsin were due to the weather or my companions. Anyway, a lot of great times.

John Galt

Martha ! Hi !

Wow, yeah, you take me back. I had a couple of ct70s growing up. fixed a couple and sold em' Great little bikes, 3 speed semi-auto, no clutch, gas tank under the seat and fold down handlebars. Man, you could take those things anywhere thru the woods ! I always liked the motorcross stuff growing up (KX, RM, CR) but those little ct's could fit on any trail, good memories. I also owned a ninja, good little bike too (600cc). I've ridden Viragos and I have no complaints, same as intruders. Jap bikes are great, no problems, no worries, they always run.

Haven't done Wisconsin yet, but I'll get there. Done the east coast from Montreal, Canada, to Key West Florida (couldn't go any further, water was in the way), and been as far west as Sturgis, SD (Yeah, the black hills Rally). We live in a beautiful country to ride in. In my neck of the woods, I wood (that's for you JG) recommend the White mountain areas in NH/Vt. Absolutely stunning. I'm in the alps now and hope to rent a bike tomorrow for a long weekend, wish me luck, my french stinks.

JG, go buy a Harley, but insist on Evolution or newer. I've ridden and owned as far back as Panhead (go figure, eh!), I love em all, but if you wanna ride and keep oil off your pants stick with a big twin 1984.5 and up. Oh yeah, don't compare her to your jappers, they are just not the same. Not the same speed, not the same smoothness or power. It's more a state of mind...... but they keep their value, not that we care that much about that.

Keep the shiny side up !
-pan-

I had a 50 cc Honda in graduate school in Austin.
It was one of the 1st models in the US. What a
thrill it was to race down hill at 20 mph. Does that
qualify me to join the black leather society?

Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)

Back
Top Bottom