Alternative Music

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Inspired by another thread or two. I know there are some here that appreciate the unusual - stuff that never had a chance at the Billboard Top 100 or being the subject of an American Idol theme show (yeah, don't remind me how I watch that cheesy show:blush:).

After all, we're folks who go against conventional thinking. Just to kick it off.....Bauhaus anyone?

YouTube - Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead (Original)

This will be a very interesting thread!

I like bizarre and unusual, the common place bores me. That said I am a conservative both socially and fiscally and yet I have always been attracted to the unusual. I have always like college radio stations as they play an assortment of very diverse music. I like classical and some opera all the way to heavy metal and goth and everything in between, if I like how it sounds that's all that matters. Rap and hip hop is where I draw the line tho that is trash.

In my bookmarks I have a folder called Videos. In that folder I have 6 folders one is music, I have some unusual videos of heavy machinery and off road stuff that is pretty unusual. In the music folder there are 14 folders and they have 3 to 20 links to various music videos, some very unusual and some more well normal.

I'll start with this one, I suspect most people here don't like new music but I have always been interested in new stuff, old music bores me because I've heard it so many times decades ago.

What do you think of this one? The words are a scream, "watching cop dramas smoking fatties fatties" :LOL:

YouTube - Ludo - Go-Getter Greg

Death Cab for Cutie has some interesting lyrics. I generally can't remember the names of songs or artists outside of the 60s and 70s but I like listening to contemporary bands. I listen to Radio Paradise, an Internet radio station that plays an eclectic mix of audience vetted music from the 60s thru the present. It is all good and exposes me to music I would never otherwise hear.

Buke and Gass... she plays a 6-strink baritone ukulele... a buke.

YouTube - Buke and Gass - Tiny Desk Concert, 2010-12-05

I was fortunate in Minneapolis that the public radio station there launched a very alt station, The Current, which dug deeper into upcoming artists, past greats, lots of genres, etc. They've gone a bit more programmed lately but their selection is still excellent. They stream here: MPR: The Current: Live Streams

Now, over in Lansing, MSU has an outstanding student-run radio station. Almost as good.

@donheff I'm gong to check that station out, thanks for the link!

YouTube - The The "Infected"

Ahh, brings me back to high school...and they are still around!
You beat me to it Fireup2020. The The are one of my all-time favorite bands. Matt Johnson's dark subject matter and expressive vocals are awesome! His singing is particularly bluesy on the album "Dusk" with songs like Helpline Operator.

The album "Soul Mining" is framed and hanging on my wall right now. Thanks for posting!

A relatively unknown, manufactured San Francisco band from the late 60s-early 70s. Excellent album. Some live versions on youtube, but low quality... For music trivialists, Tom Fowler is the bassist on this release. Later recorded with Frank Zappa, circa Overnite Sensation.

YouTube - White Bird - It's a Beautiful Day

Said the Whale - Out on the Shield

YouTube - ‪said the whale - out on the shield‬‏

I'm a big fan of the lyrics on this one

We got stuck here for the winter
Blinded by golden dollar signs
We built some simple structures
Temporary, not permanent
But each year we dug much deeper
And each year things got more serious
Each year our hearts grew weaker
Blinded by golden dollar signs

I am SO very old. For me, the term "alternative music" evokes this emoticon: :confused::confused:

I don't really know what it is. When I hear it, usually I like it but it just isn't MY music and I couldn't name an alternative music group if my life depended on it.

Now, on the other hand, those 60's girl groups, and doo-wop groups.... those are meant for me! :D Dee doo ron ron, dee doo ron ron.

I am SO very old. For me, the term "alternative music" evokes this emoticon: :confused::confused:

I don't really know what it is. When I hear it, usually I like it but it just isn't MY music and I couldn't name an alternative music group if my life depended on it.

Now, on the other hand, those 60's girl groups, and doo-wop groups.... those are meant for me! :D Dee doo ron ron, dee doo ron ron.

Here's one for you W2R.

YouTube - ‪THE SHIRELLES-WILL U STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW‬‏

Back
Top Bottom