Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Alternative to Garmin for Portable GPS?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,574
Alternative to Garmin for Portable GPS?

I wasted my entire day today trying to update the maps on my Garmin GPS. Paid for the $100 lifetime updates a few years back. Last year update went pretty smoothly, this year, going around in circles. The Garmin maps updates is a exercise in trial and error frustration, watching the hours go by.

When I think about portable GPS, I think Garmin. But with the aggravating update software, I'm wondering now if any non Garmin brand GPSes off a decent map update experience.

I have no interest in using a phone app or in-dash GPS.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
MikeWillRetire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 179
I just went and bought a new gps device.
__________________

MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
I just went and bought a new gps device.
What brand?

Might get a frustrating surprise if Garmin and time to update maps. Just a warning...
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dutchess County
Posts: 1,279
I have free lifetime updates from Garmin, updated my maps about 3 weeks ago, took 35 min. Don't understand why yours took so long.
Just_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 10,084
Usually, the maps get written on a SD memory card. Is yours damaged and in need of reformatting? Maybe that's why it is stalled.
__________________
Wear Italian, Kiss French, Drink Russian, Drive German
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,271
I have one with and one without lifetime maps...


I still use the old one even though it is over 7 years old... most of the major routes have not changed...


If I had paid for the updates I would be calling Garmin to get this problem fixed.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Usually, the maps get written on a SD memory card. Is yours damaged and in need of reformatting? Maybe that's why it is stalled.
I've tried reformatting. Now using a different SD card but showing will take hours. Took about 30 mins last year, if I remember correctly. I've been getting, after a couple hours that updates are successful message. But when I turn on the GPS then get a message saying something like no detailed maps, need that for routes.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 22,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I wasted my entire day today trying to update the maps on my Garmin GPS. Paid for the $100 lifetime updates a few years back. Last year update went pretty smoothly, this year, going around in circles. The Garmin maps updates is a exercise in trial and error frustration, watching the hours go by.

When I think about portable GPS, I think Garmin. But with the aggravating update software, I'm wondering now if any non Garmin brand GPSes off a decent map update experience.

I have no interest in using a phone app or in-dash GPS.
We've pretty much have replaced it with the iPhone. Don't care about map updates anymore.

The Apple Watch assists.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...

I have no interest in using a phone app or in-dash GPS.
Why is that? I use 'Here-we-go', free and can be set to not use data away from wi-fi. It is far better than the handheld GPS's I had.

The in-dash GPS on my new car is really bad in comparison, it's not even funny. In 10 years, it will seem like an Edison cylinder phonograph compared to a modern digital player and the likely advance of the phone GPS apps. It came with the bundles with stuff I wanted, wish I could get my money back for it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why is that? I use 'Here-we-go', free and can be set to not use data away from wi-fi. It is far better than the handheld GPS's I had.

The in-dash GPS on my new car is really bad in comparison, it's not even funny. In 10 years, it will seem like an Edison cylinder phonograph compared to a modern digital player and the likely advance of the phone GPS apps. It came with the bundles with stuff I wanted, wish I could get my money back for it.

-ERD50
+1 to both here maps and Google Maps. Can't imagine why you are so against using an app? That is all a Garmin is - a piece of hardware with a single app that you are finding hard to update. Get a cheap android phone and do what ERD50 said and there you have it.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
+1 to both here maps and Google Maps. Can't imagine why you are so against using an app? That is all a Garmin is - a piece of hardware with a single app that you are finding hard to update. Get a cheap android phone and do what ERD50 said and there you have it.

Never heard of here maps... and DW uses Google all the time...

BUT, they are not good in all situations... my DWs plan had zero coverage in Wyoming.... the whole state.... and limited in other places up there... our GPS never had a problem (well except in Canada since we did not pay for a map of Canada)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 AM   #12
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee ba gum
Posts: 24,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Never heard of here maps... and DW uses Google all the time...

BUT, they are not good in all situations... my DWs plan had zero coverage in Wyoming.... the whole state.... and limited in other places up there... our GPS never had a problem (well except in Canada since we did not pay for a map of Canada)....
Google maps does not need a data connection as it uses GPS. Last year we drove all over Belgium using Google Maps and no phone connection. Google maps allows you downloads which are kept for a default 30 days. All we had to do was download the maps we needed while in wifi. When hiking I put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery life.(and use a more detailed app for hiking)
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,078
I update my Garmin two or three times a year, using the Garmin Express app on my laptop. It never takes more than about 20 minutes and never a problem. Just did it last week.

I remember when it used to be a pain, but in the last few years it has been quick and easy.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: warren
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Google maps does not need a data connection as it uses GPS. Last year we drove all over Belgium using Google Maps and no phone connection. Google maps allows you downloads which are kept for a default 30 days. All we had to do was download the maps we needed while in wifi. When hiking I put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery life.(and use a more detailed app for hiking)
Can you put in gps coordinates into Google maps? I ask cause like you we do some hiking and the only way to find some trails is by gps coordinates
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alternative to Garmin for Portable GPS?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 11,092
Alternative to Garmin for Portable GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Can you put in gps coordinates into Google maps? I ask cause like you we do some hiking and the only way to find some trails is by gps coordinates


Yes, but make sure you enter them as decimal degrees. latitude, then a comma, then longitude, and make sure you enter west longitude and south latitude as negative.

For instance, Willis Tower in Chicago would be entered 41.878900,-87.63580.
__________________
The wilderness is calling and I must go.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I update my Garmin two or three times a year, using the Garmin Express app on my laptop. It never takes more than about 20 minutes and never a problem. Just did it last week.

I remember when it used to be a pain, but in the last few years it has been quick and easy.
I wait until getting a notify on my GPS about time to update.

Well, the update I ran last night worked. So, I have the maps for 2018 . Took around 5 hours total.

Still, don't know exactly what I did differently than the previous 6 or 7 times I tried earlier. Perhaps the software didn't like that SD card I was using.

When you do your updates, do you run using the existing maps on SD card? Or do you have to format the card first? I have to do the latter or else get an not comaptible card message (maybe cause I only have a 4GB card).

I'm good til next year, then will cross my fingers again .

But with my original posts. Still interested in any updating experiences with non-garmin portable GPS owners.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
iloveyoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 567
The map app on my iPhone is so easy to use, I rarely use the navigation in my car because it is not easy.
__________________
Retired in 2013 and we are living the dream!
iloveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 13,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
When you do your updates, do you run using the existing maps on SD card? Or do you have to format the card first? I have to do the latter or else get an not comaptible card message (maybe cause I only have a 4GB card).

I have a Nuvi 2597 LMT with an 8 GB card. Never had to reformat the card -- it just updates over the old maps. It's nearly four years old.

It might vary by model, I guess, but since an 8 GB card would only cost a few bucks, why not just get a new one?
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have a Nuvi 2597 LMT with an 8 GB card. Never had to reformat the card -- it just updates over the old maps. It's nearly four years old.

It might vary by model, I guess, but since an 8 GB card would only cost a few bucks, why not just get a new one?
Not sure it the size is the reason, but might have to get an 8 GB card for next time.

A few years back, a 4GB was considered a splurge for this GPS, but 8GB is a dime a dozen today.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Treasure Coast
Posts: 472
Another vote for Google Maps or Waze on the phone. The biggest reason for us is traffic. Even when we had traffic data service on one of our cars, the data was not good. With the phone apps, it is constantly up to date.
__________________

45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garmin Lifetime Updates - should of passed on it? easysurfer Other topics 23 03-29-2012 06:40 PM
Grills portable help Mwsinron Other topics 6 05-11-2007 08:00 PM
Portable DVD Player Outtahere Other topics 3 12-06-2006 10:17 AM
garmin gps on sale at walmart mathjak107 Other topics 18 12-03-2006 03:02 PM
Apartment / Portable Ice Makers? BigMoneyJim Other topics 9 02-08-2006 03:41 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.