Am I cheap?

I'm pretty passionate about my opening statement and feel it saves money in the long run, an old lady I once knew who drove a Benz but bought day old bread every week told me - pinch the pennies today so you can spend dollars tomorrow

What if you never spend the dollars though because you are always pinching pennies? ;)

I like to stock up on good buys when I know it is something I will use. But I also admit to not going out of my way to find the best deal on everyday items. Sure, big purchases on a washer or dryer, dishwasher, etc. I'll research the heck out of them and find the best model for the best price. But every day groceries and other sundries, na.

Looking at this thread makes me feel like an anthropologist who just started learning about some very exotic tribal societies.

These practices are truly off the charts.

Ha

Looking at this thread makes me feel like an anthropologist who just started learning about some very exotic tribal societies.

These practices are truly off the charts.

Ha

The midden is always the place to start. :LOL:

Also, pinching pennies on your own behalf is usually frugal. Pinching pennies when it comes to others is more likely to be cheap. Not always, but more likely. Cheap, to me, means compromising on quality, quantity, or suitability. Getting someone the purple sweater because it was on sale, rather than the turquoise one that was full price, when you know full well that turquoise is their favorite color.

Big difference between cheap and frugal. Pinching pennies and saving where you can is frugal.
Not buying something you want and can afford because you just won't spend money is cheap, imo

Was wondering how many folks have a big stock pile of incondescent light bulbs? I wasn't stock piling but I still have a box full I'll probably never use.

ME! That's one thing I did stock up on--incandescent light bulbs. I like them.
In many cases, I've found that stocking up on something in an extreme case usually backfires on me. I remember once when I was gung-ho for a certain duvet cover and bought 4 of them on sale, with the idea that I'd have that same color/pattern forever. But my tastes changed over time and several of them ended up at Goodwill.
I guess I don't really stock up on anything (besides said light bulbs). I do get giant packages of things like TP, laundry detergent, tissues, and paper towels just because I hate buying that stuff as well as hate to run out.

Was wondering how many folks have a big stock pile of incondescent light bulbs? I wasn't stock piling but I still have a box full I'll probably never use.
Not huge, but I do have a stockpile, because I've got some places where they are the best solution. Usually it's a rarely used place, where I want immediate light and not the CFL delay, and I don't keep it on for very long. It's not worth the cost to put an LED light in.

I've also got a pair of wall sconces that seem to be low power. They simply don't work at all with CFLs and LEDs. I wish they did because they are usually on all evening when I am home, but with the lower power I'm guessing they don't cost much to have on. I don't quite understand it but each has 2 40W (or maybe 60W) bulbs but don't appear to put out 80 or 120 watts worth of lighting, so I'm assuming they don't draw that much.

I got a bunch... and will never use them... the LEDs now are cheap enough and work much better than CFLs....

I might have to throw them away as I do not know anybody who would want them....

I tossed my filament bulbs in the trash a long time ago. Takes up valuable space. The CFL's will be next. Only LED from now on.

My wife recently went to a couponing seminar. Now, I am no longer doing all the grocery shopping.

And she wants to tell me about all the money she has saved. And then she got mad when I told her I trust her judgment, but I really don't want to hear about every coupon she uses.

[emoji23]

I got a bunch... and will never use them... the LEDs now are cheap enough and work much better than CFLs....

I might have to throw them away as I do not know anybody who would want them....

Incandescent bulbs could still be used for brooders to keep chicks warm after they hatch. Also useful for older style easy bake ovens. I'm sure they're other uses where heat is needed and not just light.

Someone mentioned toothbrushes at walmart, I'm here now and they do have 6 packs for $1 but they are not what I like and they are made in China, I may be cheap but I'm not putting a China brush in my mouth. I like a firm brush and they are going for $1.50 and up a pop.

I have a buddy that is very well off, he takes his family to McDonald's and tells them to order anything as long as it's off the dollar menu and he isn't kidding. When he found out it would cost his nephew $300 to have his fathers headstone delivered he swooped down and picked it up and demanded the $300 payment, now that's cheap!!!

Vanity sizing- drives me crazy. I'm female, 5'7", keep my weight under 130 and some of my pants are size 8. Really? At the same weight 30 years ago I was a size 12. Apparently women, at least, are more likely to buy something that fits if it's labeled with a smaller size than they expected.

I saw this on a tv show, the sizes run much bigger now, it makes people feel better.:)

I have a neighbor that bought Trisodium Phosphate at the hardware store , she adds I think a cup to the laundry and a spoon to the dishwasher. We were considering doing it , but the bride said A) we might poison ourselves, and 2) the clothes and dishes come out O.K.(not great, but passable).

If you have a "Fryer" then I can highly recommend the Cascase "Fryer" boilout powder ... check the comments/questions for uasge details.

Works great in my Fryer

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Phos...8-1-spell&keywords=cascase+fryer+boilout&th=1

I did the couponing thing years ago and stocked up on non-perishables. At that time, almost everything I "bought" was free or pennies on the dollar. Storage space was not an issue so I figured I'd go for it. It's been about 5 years since I stopped doing the couponing thing and we are still going to the basement for paper products, razors, etc. - almost anything you can think of that would last....well, forever.

One thing to bear in mind is the shelf life of the item you are stashing. For example, will the elastic in underwear lose it's elasticity after a number of years? If you're only stashing it for a couple of years, probably not, but I wonder if your undies will be as good as new if you don't start using them until 5 or 10 years after first buying them.

About 20 years ago, my then-fiancee bought me a large amount of bottles of moisturizing lotion, which she got a deal on. Thing is, I don't use very much lotion at all, and after about 10 years, it was separating out, so I had to toss what was left away. I still have toothbrushes left from the stash she got me though.

Something to consider.

Agreed. Everything consumer product has a limited shelf life. I'd be skeptical to use a toothpaste >1 year old.:cool:

I tossed my filament bulbs in the trash a long time ago. Takes up valuable space. The CFL's will be next. Only LED from now on.
Do you have any idea how they are disposed of? Surely not land fill for perfectly good product?

I can't speak for light bulbs, but a plumber told us that the older style of toilet (high water use), such as the ones he was replacing at our house, cannot be resold and are almost impossible to find nowadays b/c they were hauled away to landfills. So, perfectly good things do end up in the dump. (He could have been exaggerating, who knows).

Do you have any idea how they are disposed of? Surely not land fill for perfectly good product?

Back
Top Bottom