Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I find it interesting that so much of my life has gone by... I do notice that getting up and out from under one of my cars or the tractor is a little more of a struggle . But I am still eager to do repairs and modifications to my machines... I am the more peaceful now than anytime in my life and enjoy simple pleasures more.

The thought of having to "chase my tail" like motivated young folks do makes me appreciate this stage in my life.
+1 I could not agree more with these thoughts. A few aches and some things I do a little slower, but I still enjoy keeping up the house and grounds, cutting the lawn and cutting firewood, etc. Nowadays I may only do such physical work for 4-5 hours rather than 8-10 before calling it a day, partly because I get pooped out, but also because without having a job to go to, I can always finish tomorrow. It's pretty good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow! The above is so right, and I did not think of that.

But here's some more. They give you senior discounts, let you into National Parks for free, let you camp for 1/2 price, etc... Why are they so nice? They feel sorry for you, that's how.

I've been trying to convince people here that they are old, but they keep on denying.
I just remind myself of my actual age (66) and try to avoid the denial aspects. Even the most wealthy people cannot avoid time flow.

Like most issues in life, we can't sum up a situation in 1 word.

BTW, I've enjoyed reading through the posts above.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Im at the stage in life where I get a lot of pleasure out of finding a cheap stock.
http://basehitinvesting.com/99-year-old-irving-kahn-discusses-his-investment-philosophy/
He still goes to the office every day.

I was talking to some people in their 90s-100s, and a couple of them told me that things really became much worse after they turned a certain age, I think it was 100, or maybe before that, but definitely after 90. A lot of it depends on one's health. Exercising, eating healthy, low stress, keeping one's mind active.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Age is a mental disease. A socially contagious mental disease; people are always trying to project their own ideas of age limitations. Age is said to be about loss and I couldn't agree more: it's about the loss of enslavement to ideas of what you have to be, or "do", or have. One of the most wonderful things about aging is it's one of the very few gifts in life that is free. You don't have to do anything to get it, you don't have to "earn" it, and you don't have to set a goal for it. It flows into your life all by itself, little by little.

Personally, I didn't even wake up until age 45, really began to enjoy life at 50, and each year has gotten better and better since turning 55. I couldn't be a day younger than I am, and am looking forward to getting older 5, 10, 15 years into the future.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Having a plan for the day seems to be a huge help.

When I first moved to this area, there was a piece in the local paper about a wonderful 99-year old gentleman and how he spent his day.

He maintained an office in a prominent building downtown. Every morning he would make his breakfast, then walk a couple of blocks to the bus stop. All the regulars on his bus knew him and he had pleasant conversations.

When the bus got to his office building, he would get off, buy a newspaper, and go up to his office. There was nobody else there, it was just his personal space. He read the paper, made a few phone calls to friends and acquaintances, then watched the sidewalk traffic out his window for a while. Then it was lunchtime, so he walked to one of several restaurants and had his main meal.

After that, he went back to his office and read a bit more (magazines, library books, whatever). This was before the internet, so that was his only real choice.

By mid-afternoon, he was ready to take the bus back to his home and wind down after his full day of "business."

I found his story inspiring, and he kept it up until he was at least 101. Not exactly what I would choose to do, but very impressive.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Having a plan for the day seems to be a huge help.
+1

Having a plan that involves regular physical activity, social engagement and mental activity seems to have a very positive impact.

I think one of the reasons some people adapt so well to CCRCs is because they offer a structured environment.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #47

Great new study on the effect of exercise/nutrition on healthy aging (at any age):

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...pgtype=article
Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Am I old yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Going from 49 to 50 was no big deal.

Going from 59 to 60 WAS a big deal!

Look at the decade of the 60s... can start early SS, the full SS retirement age, and Medicare.

Come on now, that's old!!! You can't be talking about SS and Medicare and not think that is old! Maybe just whistling past the graveyard, or W-F-G or something like that.

Just ask any young people unrelated to you

I agree. It is what it is. It doesn't have to get you down, though. "Embrace the suck" as Nancy Pelosi would say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have about 2.5 months left to "enjoy" being a fifty-something, but I figure it's getting me closer to my last age-related milestone: early SS!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have about 2.5 months left to "enjoy" being a fifty-something, but I figure it's getting me closer to my last age-related milestone: early SS!
There you go! There are at least a few advantages to growing older.

I just wish I could reverse the process. Oh well. I must have a young heart because I sleep in and play video games a lot. My life is a teenager's dream come true.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #51

I called GEICO today regarding my car insurance policy. At the end of the conversation the guy said, "Thank you for being a GEICO customer for 41 years." If there were any doubts about my being old (and there aren't), 41 years with GEICO, actually made me feel old.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
the guy said, "Thank you for being a GEICO customer for 41 years."
I hear you!

Still, there can be advantages. My insurance dividend from USAA last year would normally have been about $200. But because I'm in their category of 40+ year members (like a number of others here), it was nearly $600. Us old farts get a much larger distribution for no other reason than we're loyal customers.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I hear you!

Still, there can be advantages. My insurance dividend from USAA last year would normally have been about $200. But because I'm in their category of 40+ year members (like a number of others here), it was nearly $600. Us old farts get a much larger distribution for no other reason than we're loyal customers.
+1

My USAA dividend plus my "Geezer Distribution" have averaged $1,200/yr over the past three years. IOW, my homeowners policy is essentially free.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #54

Oh, well, GEICO did thank me. Shouldn't "thanks" be enough of a reward?
(Something tells me I'm not clear on the concept).
Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I thought I was old, but just found out differently because of what I just read.
You know you are old when:

* your children look middle-aged
* your knees buckle, but your belt won't
* you know all the answers, but nobody asks the questions
* you sink your teeth into a steak, and they stay there
* you are anti-everything: anti-fat, anti-smoke, anti-noise, anti-inflammatory.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Age 67 soon to be 68. I can no longer run due to multiple shoulder replacements but I walk 20 -25 miles a week. In addition I fast walk 2 -3 half marathons a year.
I am the same weight today as I was in high school due to the walking and losing part of my stomach and small intestine during cancer surgery seven years ago.

My DW asks why I am so OCD about my walking and I reply it validates my continuing good health and hopefully helps slow down the effects of aging.

This morning I cut the grass and am getting ready to walk 4 miles.

Do I think I'm old. No, but certainly know my physical limitations. To use an old quote I can't define old but I'll know it when I see it. I've got a long way to go.

I love those geezer distributions from USAA and am not to proud to ask stores and restaurants if they offer a senior discount.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #57

Today I got my driver's license renewal from the DMV along with a document titled "Mature Driver Safety Tips." Now I feel old....and I'm only turning 58 in two months.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Today I got my driver's license renewal from the DMV along with a document titled "Mature Driver Safety Tips." Now I feel old....and I'm only turning 58 in two months.
Well, let me tell you.... when I was 19, they SHOULD have sent me a document called "Immature Driver Safety Tips".
First tip: Don't drive while under the influence!
Second tip: Don't try to impress any member of the opposite sex while driving!
Third tip: Read the first two tips again!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #59

Some funny comments here. I think age is a mental thing, but there are certainly physical effects. I am only 50, and can still do most of the things I did in 20's. It is just the soreness is twice as much recovery is twice as long. In 20's recovery was a few beers that night and good night's sleep. Now it is the same few beers and Ibuprofen for the next day's soreness

I enjoy working on old cars a hobby. I notice that the garage floor is getting lower and harder as the years progress. Laying on a cold cement floor is much harder on the body than it used to be. So now being older and smarter, i use a piece of cardboard or a piece of old carpet to insulate. Helps the joints tremendously.

There seems to be a very common viewpoint that keeping busy and active is a big part of not having a self-sense of being old. Stop doing things and you become old.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Some funny comments here. I think age is a mental thing, but there are certainly physical effects. I am only 50, and can still do most of the things I did in 20's. It is just the soreness is twice as much recovery is twice as long. In 20's recovery was a few beers that night and good night's sleep. Now it is the same few beers and Ibuprofen for the next day's soreness

I enjoy working on old cars a hobby. I notice that the garage floor is getting lower and harder as the years progress. Laying on a cold cement floor is much harder on the body than it used to be. So now being older and smarter, i use a piece of cardboard or a piece of old carpet to insulate. Helps the joints tremendously.

There seems to be a very common viewpoint that keeping busy and active is a big part of not having a self-sense of being old. Stop doing things and you become old.
Now that you are getting older and wiser, some alternatives are:

1. install a lift,

2. carpet part of the garage floor.