Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Some people are "less old" than others no matter what their age. My new hero: Harriette Thompson

91-Year-Old Finishes San Diego Marathon | Runner's World & Running Times

Quote:
.....Thompson said she doesn’t think age should be a barrier for beginning exercise.

“You’re never too old to do it,” she said. “I started my first marathon at 76.”

....Thompson said she wasn’t able to train as much as she would have liked because she recently finished up radiation treatment to treat squamous cell carcinoma on her legs, but she surprised herself....

Thompson says she’s looking forward to taking a shower and getting a good night’s rest. Monday, she will celebrate her 67th wedding anniversary with her husband, Sydnor, 90, back in North Carolina.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Some people are "less old" than others no matter what their age. My new hero: Harriette Thompson

91-Year-Old Finishes San Diego Marathon | Runner's World & Running Times
Excerpt:
On Sunday morning, Harriette Thompson, the 91-year-old marathoner, finished the Rock ’n’ Roll San Diego Marathon in 7:07:42, the fastest time on record by a woman age 90 or older.
A 91-year old running for 7 hours? My relatives in their 90s cannot stay awake for that long! Many did not even stay alive. So, what's my chance?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Excerpt:
On Sunday morning, Harriette Thompson, the 91-year-old marathoner, finished the Rock ’n’ Roll San Diego Marathon in 7:07:42, the fastest time on record by a woman age 90 or older.
So, what's my chance?
Start running...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I can run now, but when I get to 90, assuming I will even last that long, it is most likely that the walker will be in the way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, I can run now, but when I get to 90, assuming I will even last that long, it is most likely that the walker will be in the way.
Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I would be ECSTATIC if I could finish a marathon, at any speed, even using a walker at age 90+! What an accomplishment that would be. I'd thumb my nose at all those other 90-year-olds with walkers who gave up and were napping by the side of the road.

This imaginary race of 90-year-olds that I am envisioning sounds terrific! I wonder if we boomers will be engaging in races like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

As driverless cars will be common at that point, surely they will have a powered smart walker that helps me cheat finish the race even if I doze off en route.

PS. When I went to the nursing home to visit my late father-in-law, the only race I saw there was people on wheelchairs getting to the dining room.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I started to feel "old" when I no longer got "carded" buying beer/wine.

Then it went downhill as the "kids" working at stores and such started calling me "Sir".
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At age 93:

"Martin said he hopes to leap from the skies again during the anniversary."

D-Day paratrooper remembers historic jump ahead of 70th anniversary | Article | The United States Army
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I would be ECSTATIC if I could finish a marathon, at any speed, even using a walker at age 90+! What an accomplishment that would be.
Well, these guys can do it:

Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't feel old, but my next birthday will be 60! Oh my, how did that happen so quickly! I feel like I should be about 25. At any rate, the looming milestone birthday has me reading this thread with interest.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Absolutely amazing!!! What an inspirational video. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm really envious of you geezers that don't feel old, just kidding about the geezer part . I'm "only" 51 but feel much older. Maybe it's my stressful life (ridiculously long work days, awful commute, DW's cancer fight...) I don't know, I just feel worn out, tired all the time, no energy (maybe it's low T?, yeah right) and I wonder how bad I'll feel when I really do get old I think I need a good long vacation...
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I don't feel old, but my next birthday will be 60! Oh my, how did that happen so quickly! I feel like I should be about 25. At any rate, the looming milestone birthday has me reading this thread with interest.
Hey, youngster, you're too young to even be thinking about aging! This weekend I am turning 66, which means I am on the downhill slide to 70 and I can see 70 peeking over the horizon at me. That's OK. I decided to re-define what being 70 is all about, for me.

After all, I can remember back in my twenties, when people said that really, you can't trust anybody over thirty. 30? Oh for Pete's sake. What a bunch of kids we were.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After all, I can remember back in my twenties, when people said that really, you can't trust anybody over thirty. 30? Oh for Pete's sake. What a bunch of kids we were.
Yeah, now its don't trust anyone under 50.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #75

Question for those of you already retired, especially if you retired from stressful jobs...

Did you feel a new breathe of life/youth when you stopped working? Did having freedom to sleep/exercise/putz around bring back vitality?

(I'm 52 - and hoping to retire soon... and hoping for that effect... I'm exhausted at the end of work days.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Question for those of you already retired, especially if you retired from stressful jobs...

Did you feel a new breathe of life/youth when you stopped working? Did having freedom to sleep/exercise/putz around bring back vitality?

(I'm 52 - and hoping to retire soon... and hoping for that effect... I'm exhausted at the end of work days.)
Somewhat, yes, but not completely. I work on achieving this result. My "job" in retirement has been losing weight, working out at the gym, and so on. This, along with the tremendous stress reduction that comes with retirement, has helped quite a bit. In my case, I worked in a cubicle at a job that did not permit as much movement and exercise as I would have wished, so I am countering all those years of enforced sitting.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #77

You know you are old when you yell, "Get off the grass!" to kids playing.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I read an article recently from a newspaper writer who wrote a column about getting yelled at by his editor for attaching the word "elderly" to a specific name of a person. He was told only use that word in generalities, but not to a specific age or person as if offends the older readers who are the biggest subscribers to newspapers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
I'm really envious of you geezers that don't feel old, just kidding about the geezer part . I'm "only" 51 but feel much older. Maybe it's my stressful life (ridiculously long work days, awful commute, DW's cancer fight...) I don't know, I just feel worn out, tired all the time, no energy (maybe it's low T?, yeah right) and I wonder how bad I'll feel when I really do get old I think I need a good long vacation...
I think stress has a lot to do with how old we feel. I swear I felt old from my mid 30s to mid 40s. Tired, achy, stressed...just exhausted all the time. I was convinced my aches and pains were primarily coming from looking at my computer all the time. Must be poor ergonomics, I thought. While I still have tough days I've never felt younger and healthier. Over the last 18 months, I've changed my diet, I get more sleep (not always the best sleep) and exercise about 6 days a week. My neck and shoulders don't hurt anymore, I'm more flexible, I'm at my ideal body weight and my mood is greatly improved. I find that I slide when I don't have enough to do... snacking too much and getting lazy. Kind of makes me wonder if I'll be able to keep this lifestyle up in retirement. Always thought I'd exercise more when I have more time but I think it may actually take more discipline. Well, there's no way I will go back to feeling as bad (and old) as I did before, so I guess I just answered my own question.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 59, going to be sixty and was excited that I would Age up this year in triathlon rankings as I have always been slow. In previous years there have been zero or maybe one other over 60 women competing. So I did a small tri a couple of weeks ago, thinking I would place first or second. There were SIX women in my age group!!! I placed 4th! What an eye opener that there are lots of folks out there still kicking it around. The only time I feel old is when I have to remember something...so I just keep swimming....
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote