Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Am I the only person without a cell phone?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
We had a cell phone for about 6 months. Mr. Ibid would call me from the end of the driveway to tell me the trash had been picked up and maybe it would be a good idea to drag the cans back to the house. Then he'd call me before getting on the highway to remind me of some chore he wanted me to do. Then he'd call me when he got to the parking lot at w*rk to ask me to do some other thing. He'd call me from the store to debate about the value of one brand over another. It got to where I started letting the answering machine pick up the calls.

He asked me to take the phone when shopping and then he'd call to "remind" me to buy things on my list or ask me where I was and how much longer I'd be, etc. Six months later I'd just about had it with the convenience of a cell phone. Then he called me from the bathroom (in our house!) to tell me that we were low on tp. Not out but maybe it would be a good idea to put it on the shopping list.

I waited outside the bathroom door with a mallet. When he stepped out, I took the cell phone, stomped outside, put it on the concrete patio, and hit it with the mallet until it was in bits. Not my best moment, but it got the point across. Some people just shouldn't have cell phones.
Was he suitably impressed?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Am I the only person without a land line?

Audrey

Old 02-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1

Audrey
Nope, all we have are the two cell phones.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1

Audrey
Excellent point Audry!

It is a little amazing that some people seem so put off by the fact that a cell phone doesn't have a piece of wire connecting it to your wall jack. Other than that, there isn't much difference, at least for me.

When making the cell phone decision, I listed all the pros and cons, many of which have been mentioned in posts on this thread. Almost all of the cons were easily avoidable, at least for DW and myself as we aren't lacking in will power. So, we rarely use them while driving, always turn them off in restaurants and entertainment venues, don't spend very much time talking on them or bothering people just because we have them. It really hasn't been that hard to handle them appropriately, just common sense.

So....... we're taking advantage of all the pros, substantially avoiding the cons, and feel they're a good tool in many situations.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am cell phone only, and I pay around $53 a month. This includes free long distance, lots of peak minutes, and unlimited internet (smartphone with a 300x300 pixel display).

I have not had a land line for about 4 years now and probably never will (I would just use a do-it-yourself VOIP like Skpye for that, anyway).

Last weekend I was taking public transport to meet a friend at a restaurant. The bus was inexplicably late. So I text messaged him once to let him know not to leave home yet. Then I text messaged him again 20 minutes later with my precise expected time of arrival. So it saved him 15 minutes of waiting and wondering in front of the restaurant (he did not initially know I was taking public transport). I also read blogs, news, and even this site sometimes in spare moments from my phone. In fact, that is what I was doing on the 35 minute bus ride.

Kramer
Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #26

I agree that people that use the phone every 2 minutes, or from inside your own house would be annoying. I think that is more a factor of the person than the device though.
Without a boss, I find the cell phone more useful than a landline. I can understand not wanting one though if you get constant calls from w*rk or some other source of irritation.

As for refusing let fear of what might happen dictate your actions, do you use a seat belt? If you HATE cell phones, I wouldn't use one. But if you don't, the safety factor is just one of many to have one.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #27

Our family has cell phones. DH is on call 24/7 and was required to carry a pager. When we were out and his pager went off, he would either have to find a pay phone or if we were close to home we would go back home and call work. DD used to be in the band and they would give us an estimated time for arrival when on band trips. I waited many a night in the parking lot when the estimated time of arrival came and went. Then she started driving and I definitely wanted her to have a cell phone in case anything happened. I hate the added monthly expense, but it would be very difficult to live without them now. It is also very nice to have them when one of us it traveling, since we can call each other for free anytime anywhere. DD is headed to Chicago IL this weekend, I will be in Charleston WV and DH will be in Morgantown WV. It will be extremely easy to keep in touch with each other!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I each have a cell phone. We also have a garage door opener and a microwave. We could do without any of them, but they make our life more comfortable and save us time. My wife rarely uses hers, but she often travels long distances for dog agility matches and the $15.00 a month her phone costs us is more than made up by the peace of mind it gives both of us. I wouldn't give up my garage door opener because some idiot spent all day opening and closing his garage door and I see no reason to give up my cell phone because some idiot misuses his.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid

I waited outside the bathroom door with a mallet. When he stepped out, I took the cell phone, stomped outside, put it on the concrete patio, and hit it with the mallet until it was in bits. Not my best moment, but it got the point across. Some people just shouldn't have cell phones.
I admire your restraint ... I'd of been tempted to give Mr. Ibid a "love tap" with the mallet.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #30

No cell phone here. When I worked they gave me one to carry. I worked as an engineering director for one of the major cell phone producers. I used to keep it turned off most of the time.

There are a handfull of times a year when having one might be useful, but that hardly justifies the cost or hassle of carrying the thing around for me. I have far too many people contacting me as it is.

Once WiMAX or 4G is fully deployed, I might reconsider my position.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Caroline, cell phones (at least in Minnesota) will work to call 911 even if you have no cell phone service. The phone just needs to be charged. So for strickly emergency uses you could have one that didn't even have the capability to make or receive any other phone calls. Might be the best of both worlds for you
That is a VERY useful piece of information, Zathras. Thank you kindly.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Mobile only, no land line...

Not a big phone user, in either case.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have them as a $10/mo add ons to DD's account. I only turn it on when I'm making or expecting a call. I put it in the charger when I'm home and usually leave it in the car when I'm out. I don't know my number (but family members have it in their directories and I have memorized DW's number).

I do carry a pager for work but DW is the only one who pages me more than weekly. I'm looking forward to turning in the pager next year.

Has anybody else stopped wearing a watch?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Yes.

I retired 30 Dec 2004. The next time I wanted to wear a watch was May 2006. All of them had dead batteries.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Nope, all we have are the two cell phones.
We just got a second phone this week! 1 phone does fine most of the time, but when we were stuck in Albuquerque and only one of us went out to run an errand, we were left without a way to contact each other in case of a problem. Decided it would be prudent to each carry a phone.

Audrey
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I came off our cell plans and bought a pay-as-you-go. My bill has about 2 calls a month, and one of those is just to keep the service active. I have to remind myself to keep the battery charged. I keep it mainly so that I could call in an emergency, when out on the road, riding & touring my motor scooter.

A lot of things really simplify when you FIRE!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk
Over four years now.

I'll wear it once in a while when traveling or for a tight appointment. But I try to avoid those situations...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Whats a 'watch'?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #39

My watchband broke right before leaving for Hawaii 1/3/07. I did not have time to get it replaced and have not worn it since. I usually have my cell with me which has the time.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I stopped wearing a watch and now I have to ask strangers the time .Luckily I have my cell phone in case they hurt me!