Amazon 1 Click Rant

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Senior...Using Amazon on a tablet.
The default is one-click.
With fingers that don't work as well as they used to, the only way to order is through the 1 click button.
On the PC, there are options to select different payment terms.

To save a reply... yeah... use the PC.

It looks like dirty pool to me. If, on the tablet, when I search and pick out an item to buy, and go to the page to order.... First... the print is very small. Second, the 1 click button is easy to inadvertently activate. It means the item is ordered, and of course on its' way.

Am apparently not the only one.
Amazon facing FTC complaints about kids making in-app purchases | Android Central

When i stopped using amazon it was when they required a one click purchase setting to get certain features. I hope this forces them to remove it. They are set up for these types of issues to happen and im sure they make alot of money off people who just pay. These people just need to stop using amazon services. I don't miss them one bit. There are plenty of better options out there

Nothing happened... so I guess it's not important.
(Most of the complaints were because children had easy access, and with the $1.99 charges parent accepted the problem as too few $$$ to argue over.)

So How do I return the 65" TV?

Who will speak for seniors?

Last edited:
With fingers that don't work as well as they used to, the only way to order is through the 1 click button.

It looks like dirty pool to me. If, on the tablet, when I search and pick out an item to buy, and go to the page to order.... First... the print is very small. Second, the 1 click button is easy to inadvertently activate. It means the item is ordered, and of course on its' way.

Amazon facing FTC complaints about kids making in-app purchases | Android Central

(Most of the complaints were because children had easy access, and with the $1.99 charges parent accepted the problem as too few $$$ to argue over.)

Send them an email. I mistakenly bought an ebook and immediately sent them an email. They refunded my money and took back the ebook. Amazon's customer service is excellent.

Just call Amazon and cancel. Or just look at "my orders" on Amazon and just click cancel.

Amazon sends a order confirmation email immediately after any purchase with an option to cancel before they actually send your order to their warehouse.

Last edited:
I do just fine ordering from my iPad without 1-click on. I have had the 1-click feature turned off for years if not a decade!

Selecting "proceed right to checkout" often skips all the intermediate steps and presents you with a confirmation page showing your default settings. Occasionally it walks you through all the choices - but it usually skips right to the final confirmation page.

And I have had no problem canceling orders if I do it right away.

Last edited:
Just call Amazon and cancel. Or just look at "my orders" on Amazon and just click cancel.

Amazon sends a order confirmation email immediately after any purchase with an option to cancel before they actually send your order to their warehouse.
+1

Yes,

I accidentally completed an order prematurely with the 1 click button.

Fortunately I had already set up everything properly so there were no errors in the order. I was pretty dog gone annoyed how this worked however.

Thanks for the pointer about being able to quickly cancel the order on Amazon if placed in error.

FWIW, there is at least one political fundraising service that uses this type of behavior but it is even worse. If you click the wrong link in an email solicitation it will immediately charge the card. I wrote the organization about this requesting how to turn it off. I did not receive a reply so I disassociated my credit card number with them -- no more 1 click donations in emails will happen now for me!

-gauss

Last edited:
When I use One-Click to buy on Amazon, I think the next screen I get tells me that I have 30 minutes to review or edit my order and there is a button to push to take you to a page to do this? I've accidentally placed an order and used this function to cancel the order so wondering if that option was presented. This seemed to me like a decent compromise between ease of ordering and using a touch screen device. Having said this, I'm describing how this works accessing Amazon through my Ipad browser, not from their app which I don't use. Maybe the app works differently?

I've also used Amazon customer service a few times and they have always been helpful with mistakes they made or I've made. Hope you're able to sort it out quickly.

I used to use one-click, but switched back to the longer method, because I need the option of selecting which card to use for which purchase. Now that I'm retired, I have time to play games with credit cards which offer different bonuses and incentives.

I've found Amazon customer service to be OK for Amazon things, but Heaven help you if they default to the 3rd-party merchant. One outfit turned out to be two newly marrieds, selling sports attire out of their home. They were completely overwhelmed with orders at Christmas and did not respond to phone calls or e-mails for weeks. Then they took a snippy tone with me and would only exchange, not refund my money.

Another outfit never did send the refund for a returned item. This was during a very stressful time related to our rental house, and I could not fight the tenants' BS and also spend time and effort tracking down the refund after it failed to arrive in a reasonable time. We lost over $40.00.

Amethyst

One-click ordering is optional, not required. We change a lot of "default" settings on apps, don't know why someone would be upset that this easily modified setting is the default. I don't think Amazon had any malicious intent.

Hmmm... have read the replies, but... still am confused.

First of all, Android... and the Amazon AppStore.
Similar to Google Play, but if you have an Amazon account, and select the app you want to download, you are offered "one click" or "confirm". If there is something more than this, I couldn't find it. You can go back to the Amazon home page and your account, and change your 1click choices, but this is a long way around.

So here's the thing... When I use Amazon, and choose an item... say, batteries. I put it in my shopping cart, and then select buy. I'm brought to a page, where I can choose the Amazon account, or my own credit card account, and also which account address ( here or Florida)... then I can choose one click and I'm good to go.

So... in the Amazon Appstore App... there is no choice of account or anything other than the oneclick. If the last time I used my Account, I had the delivery address set to the Amazon account instead of my Credit Account, the charge would be sent there.

My tablet is sensitive, and hands a bit clumsy... brushing by the oneclick button approves the order. Now if this is true, my problem IS with Amazon, as I can see this inadvertently happen.. and I'd get that $4.99 charge for an app.. If a young person is doing the same thing, the charge goes through, and Dad gets to pay, or argue his case with Amazon. (Since the FTC doesn't seem to have a problem with this.)

So yeah... maybe a chance to cancel within a half hour, but is the real reason for 1click to be a convenience to the customer, or a source of income for the company?

If I'm wrong... sobeit... Not the worst thing that ever happened, but an aggravation that was worth a rant to me... :LOL:

So... in the Amazon Appstore App... there is no choice of account or anything other than the oneclick. If the last time I used my Account, I had the delivery address set to the Amazon account instead of my Credit Account, the charge would be sent there.
Can you not use the Amazon app and just stick to the regular browser version?

Can you not use the Amazon app and just stick to the regular browser version?

I think maybe... but to see the list of Amazon Apps, I think you have to go to Amazon App Store... which has the 1 click...
According to my attempt, you can look at the app in Amazon, but in order to download an app... (even a free app), when you get to the end of the line, you MUST use Amazon App Store in order to download the free app... and that means using 1 click...

In any case, the rant was just my curmudgeonly outrage at a perceived wrong... As a matter of fact, I NEVER pay for apps anyway, but my 5 year old granddaughter who knows more about tablets than I do... has strict orders from her parents to not touch the 1click.

and BTW... I was jesting about the 65 inch TV... as if I could afford a 65" TV... even at Black Friday prices...:(

Last edited:

I actually do not see the problem, other than the peculiarly American fixation that everything must be available to everybody on the same terms. Tablet doesn't work well for you, use the damn computer.

Beats many other possibilities.

A 2012article:

How Valuable is Amazon's 1-Click Patent? It's Worth Billions. | Rejoiner Conversion Rate Optimization Blog

Apple licensed Amazon’s 1-Click technology in 2000. Apple felt that frictionless checkout was so important; it incorporated the tech into iTunes, iPhoto and the Apple App Store. How many times have you impulsively bought a song on iTunes or downloaded a new iPhone app without even a second thought? You can thank US 5960411 for that Holiday Angry Birds download. Instant purchase drives orders. There’s no question.

But, our original question was how much?

In 2011, Amazon did $48.1 Billion in revenue. Let’s assume that 1-Click increases Amazon’s sales by 5% each year. That’s an additional $2.4 Billion in annual revenue due to 1-Click. For the 12 months ending March 31, 2012 Amazon’s operating margin was 1.7%. That’s an additional $40.8 Million in operating income. And that number doesn’t include the licensing fees collected from Apple.

Together with Amazon Prime, Amazon has put forth what are probably the two biggest game changing products in online retail over the past two decades.

A 2012article:

How Valuable is Amazon's 1-Click Patent? It's Worth Billions. | Rejoiner Conversion Rate Optimization Blog

Apple licensed Amazon’s 1-Click technology in 2000. Apple felt that frictionless checkout was so important; it incorporated the tech into iTunes, iPhoto and the Apple App Store. How many times have you impulsively bought a song on iTunes or downloaded a new iPhone app without even a second thought? You can thank US 5960411 for that Holiday Angry Birds download. Instant purchase drives orders. There’s no question.

But, our original question was how much?

In 2011, Amazon did $48.1 Billion in revenue. Let’s assume that 1-Click increases Amazon’s sales by 5% each year. That’s an additional $2.4 Billion in annual revenue due to 1-Click. For the 12 months ending March 31, 2012 Amazon’s operating margin was 1.7%. That’s an additional $40.8 Million in operating income. And that number doesn’t include the licensing fees collected from Apple.

Together with Amazon Prime, Amazon has put forth what are probably the two biggest game changing products in online retail over the past two decades.

No one accuses Jeff Bezos of being slow...

Just as an aside... I wonder many people here on ER buy from Amazon at least once in a while... Many now have Amazon Accounts... Here's an interesting question...
"Do you remember how you first obtained your Amazon Account?" ;)

I bought a few mp3s by accident. Raised holy hell and got a refund. If you bought something physical by accident, email/call and request to cancel order. If it still gets shipped, RMA with free return shipping. Amazon is pretty awesome.

I think I was buying textbooks during college. My account purchase history goes back to 2003, and I see I bought 3 books for DW (then, dear GF) for her birthday on Cambodian and Laos history. Pretty sure I bought stuff before 2003 though.

Sure, it wasn't too long after Amazon came online, back when books were all they sold. I was taking classes in a master's program and the books from Amazon were one half to one third cheaper than the rippoff book store on the college campus.

I found out about Amazon from a TV news report. Apparently one of the reporters was taking classes herself or someone in her family was and they found Amazon somehow.

I told everyone in my classes about it and was still amazed at how many elected to still buy their books at the college bookstore.

Amazon.com went online in 1995, and my first purchase with them was in July of 1996. So I guess I'm one of those early adopters.

Back
Top Bottom