Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon amazing
Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon amazing

DS and I rented an Amazon video the other night. While Amazon usually works well for me, the other night it kept pausing to buffer - very annoying but we muddled through it.

Well, I just received an email from Amazon that they noticed that I experienced poor video playback and they apologized and issued me a full refund of the rental fee. And I didn't even complain!

Amazing how they knew that and impressive that they took the initiative to make it right. Bravo!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Actually, it was NSA that noticed as they monitored what you were watching to make sure you weren't looking at anything potentially dangerous and they notified Amazon that there was a problem with delivery .
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Netflix has been sluggish lately too during evenings to the point of being essentially unwatchable. Though all streaming devices buffer incoming data, some struggle more than others. The Sony box for our TV has more trouble than does a computer. I'm not sure why that should be the case.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just paused Amazon right now to check something. Been having great service but good to know that they would be there for me if necessary.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Utube has gotten miserable. I give up with them...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Most likely it is traffic shaping by your ISP. Streaming takes a lot of bandwidth, and while the old pipes can handle some people doing it, it can't handle most people streaming. I've used video conferencing for 5-6 years now, and the standard cable connections inability to really handle that application as well is even more noticeable, the lag is horrible, reminiscent to using dial up to browse the web 15 years ago.

It's going to be a big deal for me to live in an area with gigabit connections for my next move.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
...and while the old pipes can handle some people doing it...
Enough with the geezer sex jokes...
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Enough with the geezer sex jokes...
Congrats RE, you move to the head of the class with that comment!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Most likely it is traffic shaping by your ISP. Streaming takes a lot of bandwidth, and while the old pipes can handle some people doing it, it can't handle most people streaming. I've used video conferencing for 5-6 years now, and the standard cable connections inability to really handle that application as well is even more noticeable, the lag is horrible, reminiscent to using dial up to browse the web 15 years ago.

It's going to be a big deal for me to live in an area with gigabit connections for my next move.
I seldom stream video for some reason. From what you are saying, it sounds like video streaming capabilities have really gone downhill. Fortunately my video games do not rely upon video streaming and I prefer to play those games that one can play offline.

To me it seems so spooky that Amazon (and/or ISP) would know about the poor quality video playback the OP endured. I guess Big Brother really IS watching you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
To me it seems so spooky that Amazon (and/or ISP) would know about the poor quality video playback the OP endured. I guess Big Brother really IS watching you.
Spooky? Big Brother? I don't get that.

Amazon provides the feed. Their computers are monitoring it for quality. Hat's off to them to credit their customers when their service was not up to their standards, and to do it w/o even getting a complaint. How is that 'so spooky'?

If your lawn service came by, and saw the grass really didn't need cutting for another week, so left you a note that they will be back next week, no charge for this week - would that be labeled 'so spooky' or 'Big Brother'? This is the networked equivalent, I don't see any difference.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried Hulu (free version) for the first time last week, just because they have the Inspector Morse series. yay!
But they continually freeze and go back to the beginning. I thought it was because I was using the free version--oh well.
Then I read in the discussion forums that even the Hulu Plus people have the same problem. There were various remedies proposed by the Hulu people, but they really didn't get rid of the problem.
Wow, if I was paying Hulu I would really be upset at the service.
Amazon Prime has been great lately, and I usually don't have any issues with Netflix streaming.
but Hulu? ugh, it's really tedious....
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #12

We started with a new free service that has about 3,000 independent films, documentaries, concerts, etc., many of which have been in film festivals:

Welcome to Snagfilms

During the (only) movie we watched, it streamed okay---the picture just broke up a couple of times for a second.

The catch: commercials! About one 30 second ad every 10 minutes. For free, I can live with that.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't live with that, even for free. I hate commercials.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've had relatively good streaming here. Youtube, Netflix and Amazon; only a half-second re-buffer once or twice. Netfilx seems to be the best however; Amazon more so.

I DO like Amazon and their ability to provide excellent customer service. Seems that they've got the whole online business figured out.