Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon - Choose your one delivery day each week
Old 03-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Amazon - Choose your one delivery day each week

Has anybody signed up for this service?

I stumbled upon it by accident the other day. Apparently, a Prime member can tell Amazon what day of the week to deliver the goods. They bundle the orders together and deliver it all on one day.

Supposedly, this eliminates waste and reduces the carbon footprint. It also means those plagued by Porch Pirates only have to stay home one day a week to get their deliveries.

OTOH, it seems to eliminate that #1 reason to be a Prime member.

Quote:
Amazon Day

Add items throughout the week for free delivery on the day you choose

• Available across the US, exclusive to Prime
  • Select a day of the week that works best for you
  • Orders you choose will arrive on your Amazon Day each week
  • Delivery is free, with no minimum order threshold

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...me/3019224002/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The part of me that is environmentally conscious would like to do it, but like you said, it kind of defeats the purpose of paying for prime. Weird that it would only be available to prime members.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd be interested if it came with some sort of discount... let's not forget, enviro concerns aside, it is also saving Amazon a buttload of money.
Koogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really like it both for conservation and convenience. I can schedule when I know I will be there. But I agree the $1 credit you get if you put it off a week would be nice!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

It makes sense for those working. If I was still working I'd pick Saturday when I'd likely have been home. Being retired and home most of the time anyway now, I won't bother. And we never had any problem with porch pirates anyway.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The devil's advocate in me says now the porch pirates have a chance for a bigger haul of loot .
Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

I suppose this is the same Amazon that just cut the hours of their $15/hour work force? Or, is it the same Amazon that is shuttering the Pop-Up stores? Perhaps it is the same Amazon that is getting clobbered for the downturn in customer love at Whole Foods?

As a Prime subscriber, my "day of the week" will be whatever day happens to be two days after my order is placed. Besides, I'll buy into their desire to reduce carbon footprint when they pick up my (perfectly serviceable) empty Amazon boxes in conjunction with subsequent deliveries.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It makes sense for those working. If I was still working I'd pick Saturday when I'd likely have been home. Being retired and home most of the time anyway now, I won't bother. And we never had any problem with porch pirates anyway.
+1
I don't think I will bother either, now that I am retired. I am always around anyway. I do agree that it would be helpful for those who are still working.

Just think, if they didn't get it delivered by the end of the day on my Amazon Day, then I'd have to wait a week for the next chance of delivery? No thanks. It's not for me.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #9

I am an occasional Amazon buyer, so no Prime for me, but I see this as simply a "look at me, I'm green" ploy. Unless a significant number of people in an area sign on, I don't see the miles being driven reducing much. There is an Amazon truck in our subdivision every day. If half of the people sign on to this, unless they all pick the same day, that truck will still be there every day.

As the article points out, Amazon has the potential for significant savings (packaging), but I think their packaging is already over the top, size-wise. If you order something small, it will come in a box 10x to big, with a bunch of bubble wrap.

Rant over.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

Yeah I don't see much savings. The Fulfillment Centers aren't going to pack differently, because the cost of having different processes for different delivery methods will slow efficiency there. Unless they are really going to shuffle all your purchases to the local FC, then bundle/box all together, and then do a single parcel delivery... ok sure maybe.

But they still have to either have everything in stock at your nearest FC. They don't. They do a ridiculous amount of internal re-routing (planes and trucks) to keep inventory shifting around the country already. That won't change.

The biggest savings for amazon is if they can continue to reduce UPS/Fedex and rely on their own carriers, by getting a little more time to get things together. Maybe... because if I'm Prime and I know my deliveries are always on Thursday I'll bet you I wait till Tuesday to order everything anyway lol.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I won't take advantage of it personally, but it seems like a good idea to me, for someone to be able to schedule deliveries on a day when they'll be home and it won't sit on your porch in the weather and waiting to be grabbed by someone else. You don't have to do this, but you can. I don't get the criticisms here. If you want it in 2 days, keep that shipping. If you don't like Amazon, don't buy from them. I bet my son would like this.

I haven't found the actually mechanics for this. My son almost always has one or two weekdays off, but it's not consistently the same day. I wonder if he can switch his day around at will? How do you choose, at order time, or is it some setting in your profile?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I won't take advantage of it personally, but it seems like a good idea to me, for someone to be able to schedule deliveries on a day when they'll be home and it won't sit on your porch in the weather and waiting to be grabbed by someone else. You don't have to do this, but you can. I don't get the criticisms here. If you want it in 2 days, keep that shipping. If you don't like Amazon, don't buy from them. I bet my son would like this.

I haven't found the actually mechanics for this. My son almost always has one or two weekdays off, but it's not consistently the same day. I wonder if he can switch his day around at will? How do you choose, at order time, or is it some setting in your profile?
Sorry if I sounded critical, maybe skeptical is a better word. They are doing what any large company would do to try to cut costs, and it does provide a marginal benefit to those that want things delivered on a particular day.

I just have a problem with touting it as part of their "Sustainability Initiative" and "its vision to make all Amazon shipments net zero carbon". That's just fluff to get free advertising, resulting in the article.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well, yeah. Part of marketing is spin, and part of a marketing team's job sometimes involves introducing cost cutting measures that can be spun as a value-added customer service. Nothing new here, really.

Nothing wrong with it, since it is optional and may be of actual benefit to some. But this is probably cost cutting first and foremost, and when it aligns with customer needs it's probably serendipitous.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Well, yeah. Part of marketing is spin, and part of a marketing team's job sometimes involves introducing cost cutting measures that can be spun as a value-added customer service. Nothing new here, really.

Nothing wrong with it, since it is optional and may be of actual benefit to some. But this is probably cost cutting first and foremost, and when it aligns with customer needs it's probably serendipitous.
Exactly. A good move, from a business perspective, and they get to sound Green as a bonus.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how to quantify it, but certainly frequent starts and stops consume more gas in delivery vehicles. Even if a truck is going to my neighborhood if it only has to stop once a week instead of three times, that's an energy savings. Maybe it's marginal.

If you can keep your packages from getting stolen by having them delivered while you are at home, that's much more than a marginal benefit.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #16

I buy a lot of stuff at Amazon because (1) the price is right and (2) I generally get it sooner that way, than if I put it on my shopping list for the next time I'm in or near whatever local store sells it.

I like the idea of getting everything in one shipment, but I've actually gone the other way lately; I'll enter each purchase on a separate order, even if it's just minutes apart.

I do this because they sometimes split up multiple items on the same order into different shipments anyway. That would be OK. The problem is, after I've already entered the payment and filed the invoice, they'll split the invoice and the credit card charge to match the split shipment. Makes verifying and reconciling my credit card statement a nightmare!

And yeah, if they cared about the environment they wouldn't over-package everything.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If Amazon can eliminate even one trip a week into a neighborhood, I can see this working out for them as a cost control measure, and even having some 'green' benefits. It will be interesting to see the delivery frequency data that comes out of this, assuming Amazon shares it. I think it is worth a try.

I remember reading about UPS minimizing left turns. Even if the route is a bit longer in distance, the overall delivery time is less. Who would have guessed?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If Amazon can eliminate even one trip a week into a neighborhood, I can see this working out for them as a cost control measure, and even having some 'green' benefits. It will be interesting to see the delivery frequency data that comes out of this, assuming Amazon shares it. I think it is worth a try.

I remember reading about UPS minimizing left turns. Even if the route is a bit longer in distance, the overall delivery time is less. Who would have guessed?
From the article "Amazon doesn’t release mileage numbers for its deliveries", so doubtful they will publish any numbers, unless, of course, they are favorable. Just like any Megacorp.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Just used it for the first time. Going away for a couple days this week, but wanted to order something now because there is an online coupon for it that I don't know how long will last. Normal prime would have it come while I'm gone, and I'd rather not wait for next week for non-prime delivery and I don't use Pantry so that bonus does nothing for me. But this let me select the day I return. No big deal since my porch is protected and I'd be shocked if something was stolen from a porch in my neighborhood, but I'd still rather not have it sit out longer than needed. A small win for me. Not sure how it saves Amazon anything, but it doesn't matter to me. Probably the only thing I'll order all week so I don't see how it helps (or hurts) the environment.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #20

Why on earth would I pay $119 a year for Prime, only to get things slower than I could get them at my local store?

As it is, Prime is not what it used to be - ie: 2 days from order to delivery on most everything. No, now it's 2 days from SHIPMENT which is a big change from what it was when it first started..that change alone and the slower deliveries I'm already seeing is enough to make me think about canceling and just ordering from WalMart and others..

I ain't paying for Prime to get things once a week. No thank you.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon one day a week