Amazon Deal of the Day: H&R Block Deluxe + State

Thanks - I use this for my taxes so the deal is perfect for me.

Thanks....I got it this time and it's the CD version so no need to go thru wacky Amazon software download process!

Thanks! I'm anticipating getting a new laptop that may not have a CD drive. Is the download process that painful?

Thanks! I'm anticipating getting a new laptop that may not have a CD drive. Is the download process that painful?
Frank gave me his external CD drive which he no longer needs, when I bought my new laptop (which doesn't have a CD drive).

Maybe you have a friend with an extra one, also? I think there are a billion of these drives floating around in households all across the US.

Download process is simple. You get an email with an activation code, and a button to click on to start the download. It takes you to your Amazon account, click the button, answer Save to the download, and your file will be downloaded in just a few minutes.

Click the download library in your browser and click the .exe file, it will open and install. Took longer for the credit card approval than to download, install, open, and enter the activation code.

It is very simple. I have been using this process for several years and it has worked well. Your purchase is saved online so you can download it whenever you need it. It stays in your virtual library forever (or at least as long as Amazon is a viable company :)).

It is very simple. I have been using this process for several years and it has worked well. Your purchase is saved online so you can download it whenever you need it. It stays in your virtual library forever (or at least as long as Amazon is a viable company :)).

Plus, you can save the downloaded file to a thumb drive or burn it to a cd. to keep it with all your other backed up files. :cool:

No, not really but it's a seperate portal that you have to navigate which was unexpected first time through. The key thing is you can choose download or CD whereas the CD is sometimes an extra charge. I chose no-rush delivery and got $5 Whole Foods gift card....probably only way I'll go to WF.

I did not get a gift card :blush:

Also, without state it it 50 cents cheaper...

The only issue I had with the downloaded version was my Windows security. I had to go in to the Windows Defender Security Center and click on the Virus & threat protection, then click on Virus & threat protection settings, scroll down to Controlled folder access and click on Manage Controlled Folder Access. From here you can either turn off the toggle so the tax program will load, or leave it on and select the 'Allow an app through controlled folder access'.
From there, find the folder where the .exe for HR block's software and add it. I found it easier to just turn it off, execute the install, then turn it back on.

Thanks everyone. I decided to download the H&RB software to my existing laptop. It was very easy. Hopefully when I get my new laptop I can re-download it from Amazon's servers.

OP - thanks, this is the tax software we use and $18 is cheaper than I've ever seen it.

I ran my preliminary tax return on it this morning and came up with some pretty wacky results, so I’m hoping it’s just related to the software not being finalized. I file married filing separately and it concluded that I can’t take the standard deduction even though I have zero itemized deductions. So it just shows zero deductions for me. There’s a box being checked saying I’m not eligible to take the standard deduction but I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully just some early bugs that need to be worked out and not a new change to the tax law that I’m not aware of.

Thanks. $ 18 + $ 1.62 tax, free ship, Total. $19.62 CA.

I ran my preliminary tax return on it this morning and came up with some pretty wacky results, so I’m hoping it’s just related to the software not being finalized. I file married filing separately and it concluded that I can’t take the standard deduction even though I have zero itemized deductions. So it just shows zero deductions for me. There’s a box being checked saying I’m not eligible to take the standard deduction but I have no idea why that would be. Hopefully just some early bugs that need to be worked out and not a new change to the tax law that I’m not aware of.

Does it think your spouse is itemizing? You can't claim the standard deduction if the spouse itemizes. That's nothing new though.

Does it think your spouse is itemizing? You can't claim the standard deduction if the spouse itemizes. That's nothing new though.

That was my first thought but I couldn’t find anywhere in the instructions where it asked me whether my spouse itemized. I imported last year’s file and we both took the standard deduction last year so it should have carried over.

Now you can buy an external CD drive and deduct it as expense of doing you taxes. Right?
Nope, the new tax law eliminated deductions for tax prep, advisor fees, unreimbursed business expenses.

Thanks for the alert. I have always used this software, and this is the least I've ever paid for it.

Thanks for the posting!
I purchase the software every year and did not realize I could get it cheaper with Amazon Deal of the Day.

Did I miss this sale already? I can’t find it on amazon anymore.

Back
Top Bottom