Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon instant video stopped working for you?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon instant video stopped working for you?

I had really enjoyed watching on-demand video on my 7" Kindle Fire, so much so that I went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. After patching Flash on the Samsung all was fine and good ... that is until a few weeks ago. The darn thing stopped working, specifically, Amazon instant video stopped working. I thought well maybe Samsung did a "software push" to my tablet negating my Flash patch. So I revisited the steps for patching Flash. The result, it still doesn't work.

I did some googling and found the following blog post. Alot of techie jargon but the crux seems to be that Amazon has closed the door on being able to stream Amazon instant video on non-Kindle and non-Windows devices.

"For ages now, Amazon Instant Video has worked with Android devices supporting Flash and, more importantly to many people (and me) it seems, through an unofficial XBMC plugin. .... But with the release of their new pilots, they enabled "Flash Access," ...
This effectively kills access for everyone using GNU/Linux, even with the (officially unsupported) Adobe Flash plugin! "

I'm canceling my Amazon Prime!

The Dark Side of Amazon's New Pilots - Slashdot
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry this happened to you!!

I have Amazon Prime too, and keep intending to use the streaming video. But other than half an episode of Downton Abbey, to see if I could stream the video, I just haven't been motivated to watch any of it yet. I haven't read any books from the free Kindle library that comes with it, either.

I really love the shipping advantages of Amazon Prime, though. Amazon Prime has changed me from an LBYM'er to a more avid consumer. Fast, free shipping means nearly instant gratification and that sure encourages me to spend more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post

I'm canceling my Amazon Prime!

The Dark Side of Amazon's New Pilots - Slashdot
Almost afraid to show this to Boyfriend. He's an avid reader of the consumerist and gets his thrills from campaigning against companies that screw consumers, but we have saved so much money through Amazon Prime, I'm afraid he'd cancel it if I showed him this!
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always pay attention to the stated minimum requirements. Even if things work outside those boundaries, those boundaries are what is being promised and getting anything outside those boundaries must be looked at as a gift, not a promise.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Update:
Finally got around to having my DW add me to her Amazon Prime account. Then I canceled my Amazon Prime.

After conveying to Amazon Customer Support how unhappy I was with their change in service, they grudgingly agreed to prorate a refund.

If you don't complain, nothing ever changes.

zedd
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote