Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I am sorry if I mis-interpreted.

I get the impression from many of the replies here that my thread is considered to be trite. Sad that my observations is trivialized.
I don't see that happening, but I might if it was my thread and if I was upset. Maybe it's a good time to take a break from the forums for an hour or two? We all get "forum fatigue" now and then.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #122

Broadway... If it makes you feel any better (but I doubt it will) - my last order from LandsEnd dot com had a similar experience... The shipping was listed as 10-14 days. There was order tracking on the website. It didn't ship till day 12.

No amazon involved. No prime involved. No motives assumed... I assume there was a backlog of orders and they were filling them as fast as they could.

I think the issue that people are having with your OP is that you are ASSUMING motives on Amazon's part... but there is no evidence AND there was no harm done to you... you received your order in the promised time.

By all means, stop ordering from Amazon... it will help your stress levels. I stopped ordering from Bestbuy dot com years ago because of their errors and horrible customer service... now I don't stress about bestbuy because I don't deal with them.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I think the issue that people are having with your OP is that you are ASSUMING motives on Amazon's part... but there is no evidence AND there was no harm done to you... you received your order in the promised time.

Why can't I make assumptions or opinions?
Isn't this a message board for discussion?

I see plenty of those with assumptions/opinions here on this message board too.
I see plenty of posts here where there was "no harm done to you".
I don't see posts trivializing them as I have encountered here.

If this was a message board for only facts this message board would look mighty different.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #124

You can make assumptions. I do all the time. But I'm prepared for alternate theories and ideas.

I didn't see anyone trivializing your post - just questioning it. Although there was a lot of pushback when you accused members of being duped, drinking koolaid, and otherwise being lesser, if they disagreed with you. Breathe in. Breathe out. You have made it clear what your issue is. There were some folks who agreed with you, and many who didn't. It's all good.

Time to move on to other issues. How about something less controversal... Like whether it's good to have a mortgage, or if I should pay it off. LOL.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I didn't see anyone trivializing your post - just questioning it. Although there was a lot of pushback when you accused members of being duped, drinking koolaid, and otherwise being lesser, if they disagreed with you.
No, those members here who happened to be Prime members took offense.
I can't help it if they are defensive!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not a prime member and I could care less. The stuff comes when it comes. It always comes though, just sometimes faster than other times.

I have no problem with Amazon. I really have no problems with any internet vendors, even stuff from China off ebay.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm not a prime member and I could care less. The stuff comes when it comes. It always comes though, just sometimes faster than other times.

I have no problem with Amazon. I really have no problems with any internet vendors, even stuff from China off ebay.
I suppose the next time someone posts something here on this message board, I should write "I could care less" about this topic in the discussion?

I have really no problems with my eBay vendors on China too.
That's not this topic.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #128

If you want an argument you have to pay first.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with the OP that Amazon deliberately delays shipments. I think his point was that by doing this Amazon is creating an artificial value in it's Prime shipping.

UPS and FedEx work very hard to streamline their time in transit and Amazon has is basically charging Prime members $99 to put the package on the conveyor belt.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I agree with the OP that Amazon deliberately delays shipments. I think his point was that by doing this Amazon is creating an artificial value in it's Prime shipping.

UPS and FedEx work very hard to streamline their time in transit and Amazon has is basically charging Prime members $99 to put the package on the conveyor belt.
Note that Amazon tends less and less to use UPS or FedEX. They tend to use their own trucks to move parcels to a sorting center and then take them to local post offices as the original poster shows. Only if the package can't make the prime deadline due to other factors do they use UPS/FedEx any more.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Discounts, faster shipping, streaming video, streaming music, all for 99 bucks a year. Can't beat it. That's roughly the cost of other services (like NetFlix) that provide just one of these.
I'm sorry to cut in with this comment, but I don't feel that you can compare Amazon streaming with Netflix. Netflix offers all seasons, all episodes of a series they have available. Amazon only offers a few episodes to one full season only on many series. Then they require you purchase the remainder. This is not a streaming service, but a teaser service with intents to get you to purchase the remainder of the series.

I'm not the only one who sees this and doesn't include video streaming services as one of Amazon's benefits. All of my family and friends that I've talked to about this feel the same way. I've still yet to become a Prime member. I don't need speedy shipping on what I order online. I have all the music I could want to listen to already. Netflix will stream to me the entire series of something I want to watch. I don't really see what the benefit and excitement is about Prime, especially when certain things they "took off" Netflix to put on Amazon (i.e. Amazon got an exclusive contract to show some things like Nickelodeon cartoons, for example) are no longer watchable without being purchased.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that Amazon tends less and less to use UPS or FedEX. They tend to use their own trucks to move parcels to a sorting center and then take them to local post offices as the original poster shows. Only if the package can't make the prime deadline due to other factors do they use UPS/FedEx any more.

It may seem like they provide their own transport if you live in a large city but they are still very dependent on UPS, FedEx, and the USPS.

UPS handles about 30 percent of Amazon’s 600 million packages within the United States. That’s an estimated $1 billion a year, which, it has been reported, has grown 500 percent in 10 years. https://insiderlouisville.com/busine...s-it-matter-2/

If I did a search I think I would find that FedEx and USPS handle an even larger percentage of Amazon deliveries than UPS (because of the cost).

I don't think that Amazon will ever be able to deliver their own packages because of the sheer volume.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon is *slow* without Prime

As an afterthought, the "sheer volume" made me think that the value in the $99 Prime membership may be from Amazon prioritizing preparing your shipment, in which case, ordering from a smaller vendor may be faster in some instances now that Amazon is so popular.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:56 AM   #135

Quote:

You said it very well.

In this case, which I already stated above, Amazon basically charges Prime members $99 to put the package in the hands of the USPS (United States Postal Service).

Forbes recent 2016 article on this topic is included in Google Search:
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+prime+orders
Read the comment to the Forbes article by "Kelly".
He/she basically echos what I wrote here.
She writes that Amazon "deliberately sabotages" non-Prime orders. Ouch.
Also read the comments by "John Walsh", "Ray Rock".

The consumer doesn't know what the warehouse processing time really is.
Only by buying from a retailer such as Walmart.com or Boxed.com, does the consumer see that 1 or 2 day shipping is possible for free.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #136

Quote:
As an afterthought, the "sheer volume" made me think that the value in the $99 Prime membership may be from Amazon prioritizing preparing your shipment, in which case, ordering from a smaller vendor may be faster in some instances now that Amazon is so popular.
It is not volume.

Other Amazon customers believe it is sabotage. Read the comments to the article below.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateash...azon-shipping/

One guy even believes that Amazon deliberately punishes people who drop Prime.
It is all in Amazon's database. I wouldn't doubt it. Amazon knows he used to have Prime.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 AM   #137

Quote:
Just an observation that I don't see you writing your "could care less" comment on any of the other posts on this message board.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is the medical term for removal of a chip from one's shoulder?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #139

Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
What is the medical term for removal of a chip from one's shoulder?
I don't know, what would that be, oh wise one? Desoldering?