Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I have a PRIME membership and we love it! Fast delivery and fabulous customer service if something goes wrong. Don't use the other benefits much but there are free streaming benefits if you're into that.
Discounts, faster shipping, streaming video, streaming music, all for 99 bucks a year. Can't beat it. That's roughly the cost of other services (like NetFlix) that provide just one of these.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We also love our Amazon Prime, and I'd say 90% of items get to us in 2 days even though our location is known for longer shipping times.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I think they may ship via the same fast methods regardless of which shipping is selected. They just delay the day it ships. I think this is to tease the buyer into joining Prime. We wouldn't want the buyer who lives 10 miles from a distribution canter to select a cheaper delivery and get it the next day. Why would they ever join Prime? (I know there are other perks to Prime) At least that is what I've deduced.
+1

I have deduced this also when I noticed, via tracking, that my amazon items would sit at the shippers warehouse (in my city) for a few days before being delivered on the day it was promised.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have Prime that supposedly gives two-day shipping, which I never really get (like, don't count the day it's ordered as a day, or the day it's delivered) but I know lots of people do get things early, the next day. I notice from my other online shopping that the free shipping usually follows the same pattern as in the OP--last week my free shipping fom a non-Amazon site came to Chicago the day after I ordered it but then went to Wisconsin for two days before coming back to Chicago and then to my suburb. I recently paid for two-day shipping (vs the free shipping) from Nordstrom's because we were leaving town and I wanted the items delivered before then, and it took four days (customer service refunded the $9 but said because I ordered ten minutes after 3 pm eastern time, the two day clock didn't start until the next day which still doesn't make sense).
This is why I stopped paying extra for prime. It really wasn't two day shipping, unless you counted the actual days that it spent being shipped

It was easily 4 days as described above, the day ordered and delivered didn't count as days. Neither do Saturday or Sunday (Sunday I can see, but Saturday seems to be a busy delivery day for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I DO NOT have Prime, and my 8 shipments (7 orders, one got split) this year are as follows:

Counted as Delivered Day minus Order Day (So order anytime June 01, delivered June 10 = 9 days)

8, 6, 10, 3, 6, 9, 5, and 8 days

A mix of Amazon and other sellers. Nothing I was in a rush for, so these were fine.

I have intentionally purchased some super low-priced stuff (small electronics mostly) that ships from China - that can take 3- 6 weeks. Not good if you don't notice, but this is stuff for future projects of mine, I just work on them when they arrive, I have stuff to do in the mean time. Prices can be awesome, like $4 for adjustable power supply controllers, CC, CV (need to feed it the input power).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We've seen a recent slow down for sure!
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have intentionally purchased some super low-priced stuff (small electronics mostly) that ships from China - that can take 3- 6 weeks. Not good if you don't notice, but this is stuff for future projects of mine
For the small electronic parts for Arduino Uno projects I buy those on eBay.
I have a couple of sellers and they are pretty decent.
I look for shipping by ePacket which translate into Airmail.
Most orders take about 21 - 28 days.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Just do what I do...find a friend or family member you can trust and they can trust you...make sure they have pricme...get their credentials and go to town. You can save your billing, shipping and credit card info...just log in and order stuff.

I give my friend $10/year even though he doesnt want me to pay him. If everyone he lets log in gave him some money prime would be covered. Been doing it that way for years.
Where I'm from, we call that stealing.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
For the small electronic parts for Arduino Uno projects I buy those on eBay.
I have a couple of sellers and they are pretty decent.
I look for shipping by ePacket which translate into Airmail.
Most orders take about 21 - 28 days.
Yes, I actually probably have used ebay for those things more than I have Amazon. I check the seller profile, and I've had zero problems on ebay. And go back to the same seller if I can. And they do seem to have a wider selection of electrical components and modules and stuff. I outfitted my 30+ year old bench power supply that I made back then with a digital Volt and Amp meter, I think it cost like $3 or something.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #30

Actually Amazon now has both warehouse centers and sorting centers. The warehouses ship to the local sorting center where the items are sorted out for delivery to the local post office in my case where it is then delivered. So few if any orders go thru UPS/Fedex any more. I don't know how it works in cities however. Do they use the USPS for the last mile or other methods. (check the shipping message for details)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Amazon is *slow* without Prime
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #31

Amazon is *slow* without Prime

Yes it is. It's been that way for a long time.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually Amazon now has both warehouse centers and sorting centers. The warehouses ship to the local sorting center where the items are sorted out for delivery to the local post office in my case where it is then delivered. So few if any orders go thru UPS/Fedex any more. I don't know how it works in cities however. Do they use the USPS for the last mile or other methods. (check the shipping message for details)
That's what happened here.

Amazon used USPS Parcel Select for this order.
It left their warehouse in NJ and arrived at USPS facility in Carteret, NJ at 7:55 pm yesterday 6/15.
It arrived at recipient's post office in Staten Island at 6:14 am today 6/16.

The box will either get delivered today or tomorrow.

Basically, Amazon dragged their feet until 9 days has elapsed then took the box to the post office. It could have gone out sooner, but Amazon deliberately made me wait the 10 days.

This isn't going to force me to get Prime.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
That's what happened here.

Amazon used USPS Parcel Select for this order.
It left their warehouse in NJ and arrived at USPS facility in Carteret, NJ at 7:55 pm yesterday 6/15.
It arrived at recipient's post office in Staten Island at 6:14 am today 6/16.

The box will either get delivered today or tomorrow.

Basically, Amazon dragged their feet until 9 days has elapsed then took the box to the post office. It could have gone out sooner, but Amazon deliberately made me wait the 10 days.

This isn't going to force me to get Prime.
I rest my case.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #34

I haven't shopped at Amazon in 2017 except for a book shipped by a seller in Amazon marketplace and 2 physical gift cards.

The book arrived in a timely fashion from that seller.

I haven't shopped at Amazon much since the free shipping limit increased to $50. Now that it's back down to $25, I gave it a try with this order.

Talk about major disappointment.
Pathetic for them to use their software algorithms to deliberately delay an order to make it seem better to buy Prime.
I am majorly turned off.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I love Amazon prime. Living in a RV we sometimes need things not available locally and the two day free shipping is just the bees knees. We probably order about 30 things a year from Amazon and use the free shipping.

Prime video we watch Man in the High Castle and Bosch, both of which I like a lot.

I use prime reading to get a few free books for my Kindle.

All this for like $100 a year?

Aside from all of that, I really like being able to buy a TV show that I like and stream it or download it to watch later, which you can do on Amazon. We are watching Alone season 4 right now. We don't have cable (and thus don't pay $30 to $100 a month) so paying $17 for a 10 show series occasionally isn't really that bad.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #36

LBYM means we don't buy much.
The year is almost half over and the only purchase from Amazon was a book and two gift cards.
From the looks of it, it was good thing the book was not fulfilled by Amazon, and thus I received it in less than 7 days.

I live in NJ where I am now taxed for Amazon purchases because they have opened 3 warehouses.
For the privilege of paying taxes on those goods, I should receive my orders in a timely fashion.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

When I say we buy a lot on Amazon, I don't mean we buy $3000 TV sets, but rather household items you would normally buy at a big box store. When you calculate the cost of driving 1+hr to get to the store, usually the Amazon price + free shipping is quite a bit cheaper. You have to pay tax in our state when you buy at a local store.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
When I say we buy a lot on Amazon, I don't mean we buy $3000 TV sets, but rather household items you would normally buy at a big box store. When you calculate the cost of driving 1+hr to get to the store, usually the Amazon price + free shipping is quite a bit cheaper. You have to pay tax in our state when you buy at a local store.
I understand. You are in the boonies.

I am in overcrowded NJ hence this Amazon tactic annoys me greatly.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
+1.

A few other reason I use Amazon over big boxes; usually a much, much wider selection and thousands of reviews. Lowe's accuses me of having a mistress after all or our years together.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #40

Since I refuse to pay for Prime, I also am unwilling to wait 10 days for their free shipping.

If I can find it in a big box store locally, I will buy it there.
Just as I did for the carbon monoxide detector I bought at Target the other day.
Not any more expensive than Amazon.