Amazon Kindle

Rich, it shows 182MB connected as a USB drive. The books I have on it range from .5MB to 2.3MB each. You can also add a SD memory card, for up to another GB.

Nords, I'll do the best I can on answers. I'm 56 with a touch of presbyopia, though I do most of my reading without glasses. The contract seems fine to me. I'm doing most of my reading at the default font size. The display works on reflected light so it really seems like paper. Like reading a paper book, I like having decent reading light. The more ambient light, the better. I spent several hours stretched out on the couch reading this weekend, without eye strain.

On copying the books off the CD, it depends on the format they're in. Support for PDFs is "experimental". It's probably not very good with PDFs since they're so page oriented. .txt files and "unprotected" mobipocket files can be copied right over. .DOC and .HTML files can be converted into Amazon's format and loaded. .txt files with returns at the end of every line can look pretty bad.

On the magazines and blogs, I can't tell you for sure since I haven't subscribed, but my guess is that they come as Amazon's own .AZW format, like books from Amazon. .AZW is apparently a lot like the mobipocket format.

Notes and annotations are made by using the thumb keyboard at the bottom, and show up as an icon at the end of a line that you can expand. Typing is painful -- you won't want to write much. You can also highlight text, which puts a box around it on the display, or bookmark, which dog-ears the page on the display. You can jump to a bookmark; they're labelled with the first line of the text they are associated with.

This could be another heartbreaker. My reaction is that it's a great way to read a book. It's not very competent at much else.

Coach

Too bad they didnt do color in it and come up with a fungible web access suite for it. It sure would have fit the niche where a handheld is too small but a laptop is too much to drag around.

Given they pretty much ran out of the things almost immediately with practically no advertising or marketing beyond the amazon main page, perhaps they got all the marketing in that they could handle given production abilities on the supply side...

Too bad they didnt do color in it and come up with a fungible web access suite for it. It sure would have fit the niche where a handheld is too small but a laptop is too much to drag around.

Given they pretty much ran out of the things almost immediately with practically no advertising or marketing beyond the amazon main page, perhaps they got all the marketing in that they could handle given production abilities on the supply side...

Did a little research on this puppy this evening. The lack of color is in the e-paper technology, though its grayscale is apparently excellent. Interesting how the existing technologies are converging in several different ways: the all-in-one ubergadget (e.g. the tiny, thin laptops) are fading other than in niches. The music based iPod like gadget is merging with phones, though data management is limited to contact applications. The Kindle makes reading its focus, but with its browser, audio out, possible mass storage and always-ready wireless it could morph a lot. This one will be fun to watch.

I think the Kindle concept is a winner. I'll give it a couple generations and price drops, but will probably get one down the road. I love the idea of a portable thing with one or two of my current favorite reads, my weekly news magazine, and maybe the WSJ daily. Images can't be far behind.

I agree...version 2 or 2.5 or 3 will be a pretty interesting product.

I did however hear that the grayscale on photos was pretty lousy. Otherwise I'd have replaced the PocketPC my wife carts around full of baby pictures and videos with one of these..

I don't know about you guys, but I have never had trouble throwing one of those inexpensive old-fashioned paper books into my backpack when I travel.

Variations of these things have been around since the late 1980's and they have *never* gained any traction. Hard to compete with paper in terms of robustness, ease of use, and low cost....

After searching & researching for quite a while, last week I ordered an ASUS Eee PC from Amazon. Though the Eee isn't specifically designed for eBooks, it does have FBReader, which is an eBook reader. It fits that niche between the handheld and the laptop. It's only 9"w x 6.5"d x 1.4"h, and weighs a paltry 2 pounds. It's about the size of a hardback book. It has most of the capabilities of a normal laptop, along with many of the normal type programs.

If your not looking specifically for an eBook reader, the ASUS Eee PC might be something for you to check out. Cost is $399, and like the Kindle, is currently out of stock at Amazon. The customer reviews on Amazon rate it as very good. Mine is supposed to ship shortly after Christmas.

It's NOT a desktop replacement, or even a laptop replacement if your a heavy user. But for day to day odds and ends, like web surfing, email, and writing occasional letters and/or spreadsheets and that sort of thing, it's great. Especially handy for travelers and others that just want a small, light, easy to use & carry PC. The loaded OS is Xandros Linux, that starts in "Easy Mode", but can also be run in Xandros' normal, Windows-style KDE desktop, which works pretty much like WindowsXP. Also, it is supposed to be available with WindowXP at some point in the near future, or you can dump Xandros and load WindowsXP by following ASUS' instructions.

So Kindle might be a good choice for some, and this ASUS Eee might be good for others. Both are worth checking into.

Decent review in the Houston Chronicle today, however, like most folks the reviewer was put off by the $400 price and will wait.

I think the place these will really go is in the text book market. I would think most students would love to carry all there text books in one of these. Ability to search, highlight, dictionary and such are added bonus. I could see Universities getting into the Epublishing business. Not sure how the used book business would work and students will miss selling back text their parents payed for.

hmm - it is bulky and ugly! for $400 i want to "look" high tech!

i still like paper - it seems easier on my eyes - especially since I am on a computer all day, i like the break...and i can't read more than one book in a trip anyhow...

Well, I can tell you this. Whoever was in charge of cosmetic design should be dragged out into the street and shot. It looks like it was built by Tandy in 1985

I ordered a Kindle as soon as I figured out exactly what it is, it took me 45 minutes. Oh, Tandy in '85, that's OK by me as I peaked that year! :cool: If you look at the five-star reviews at the Amazon site and multiply by four, you have my attitude. Mine arrived Dec. 18: SO and my cat became very jealous but the cat recovered, she must assume now that it is an extension of my hand. The browser is great for me as I have no other personal internet connection--this is my first proto-type device and it's been a lot of fun so far, its more pleasant than reading on a computer monitor. The photos in books look fine by my standards, the highlighting function is terrific, I read the local newspaper over the internet, and once I get used to it, it should work great as a reference library.

I've done more reading on it than ever before; RE forums is easy to read on it. Considering that a recent poll revealed that RE forum folks wouldn't go cheap on a broadband connection, you folks may not be the target buyers. I've never used a wireless connection before but it works very well (in the city). (I don't work for Amazon).

Cuppa

Last edited:
I am waiting for Microsoft to introduce Bonfire for $299 and Apple to introduce iPaper at $199. Still I may break down and purchase before my next long trip. I normally take 3 or 4 books One for the flight to the destination, one for at night, one for flight back, and one as back up incase the other 3 are bad.

I am waiting for Microsoft to introduce Bonfire...
"Bonfire"? Microsoft thinks that a replacement for paper media should be called "Bonfire"?!?

Why don't they just call it "Fahrenheit 451" or "Bonfire of the Vanities" or "Kick Me, Please"?!?

I can just see all the product-placement sitcoms now: "Honey, have you seen my Bonfire?" or "Dude, check out this Bonfire! [special effects fireball]" or "No, baby, it's just a Bonfire but I am happy to see you!"

Well, I guess they're trying to generate a buzz. They may succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

Of course this may be all that can be expected from the corporate culture which led to a brainstorming session years ago when someone piped up to say "I know, we can call it 'Bob'! That's a cool, friendly, non-threatening name, right? Hey, we could even make it a smiley face!!"

I think he was just kidding.

Besides, the apple product would be $799, not $199, and you could only read books on it that were about unfounded smugness.

"Bonfire"? Microsoft thinks that a replacement for paper media should be called "Bonfire"?!?

Better than GM's "Impact."

Ya I was kidding about Microsoft's name, but I wouldn't be surprised if bonfire was the code name, cause Microsoft always thinks bigger is better internally. Insert computer geek joke here.

CFB is off course absolutely right about Apple's pricing, but don't undersestimate Apple's ability to make a reading a newspaper on an iPaper trendy.!

I dont think you're allowed to say "bigger", "internally" and "insert" all in the same paragraph while concurrently inviting other people to make the joke.

So, after a couple of months, any update by early adopters? Still using it?

So, after a couple of months, any update by early adopters? Still using it?

Got it in mid-Dec., love it still; in fact SO says I'm in love with it to the neglect of my cat; hey, no problemo, she pushes it aside to sit in the best lit spot and I work around her. Early this morning, I read the RE forums, NY Times articles (a "blog" for $1.99/mo. which includes many of the current articles, updated three or four times a day wirelessly), and updated my to-do list on it (that's an easy "work-around"). Over breakfast I read an Act or so of "The Government Inspector" by Gogol, a play I'll be seeing tomorrow. The play is in the public domain so I was able to download it wirelessly from Manybooks.net. I can stay on this site only a few minutes because it's slow in the office and I want to get back to my true electronic love, an e-book that is not back-lit.

My wife really wants a Kindle, but we're not willing to pay the early adopter tax. Once the waiting list is cleared out and there's no longer a lot of backorders, I expect the price to come down to the $199 price point eventually, and that's about where we'd probably bite.

I still like it and use it. But it goes through idle periods, when I'm reading something that isn't available on Kindle.

Coach

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom