Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Kindle
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon Kindle

I imagine most of you will say why pay $400 for a book reading device and why buy e-books for $10 when you can get them free at the library.

However, does anyone have thoughts on the new Amazon Kindle that was released today?

I saw Jeff Bezos on last night's Charlie Rose Show and he was whipping up a lot of enthusiasm. He also mentioned that Amazon is working to develop a sub-orbital rocket ride product as well.

$400 seems too high, but saving $10 or so on new release books would tend to work itself off. I have been buying quite a few books from amazon lately.

I would get them from the library, but I do not think I could read them fast enough to give back on time - that and I am generally disorganized and apathetic.

The Kindle reminds me of watching Jean Luc Picard walking around the enterprise reviewing the daily reports on his little flat screen. Kirk had the communicator - now we have the Razor. Picard had the little book - now we can have the Kindle.

Live long and prosper ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a new toy, I'm very intrigued, especially about the ability to download using a hotspot without a monthly fee. And! Carry 20 books around in a device that weighs as much as a paperback.

Is it worth $400? No, but in about 6 months it will be worth $250 -- same as the Sony offering.

--

Old 11-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm View Post
He also mentioned that Amazon is working to develop a sub-orbital rocket ride product as well.
They can use that to dispose of all the $400 e-readers they dont sell
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
They can use that to dispose of all the $400 e-readers they dont sell
I really want to believe that Amazon has done a better job with Kindle than Sony did with their e-reader, but I've been burned too many times before.

I'm gonna let you guys do all the beta-testing for me and post your results here.

I'm most concerned about ending up with a product that weighs 10 pounds, has a battery life of microminutes, and scorches my lap. And I'm not too sure how much we're paying for GSM connectivity with Amazon.com, either. At least, thanks to DoCoMo, parts of Oahu finally have a GSM network!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Two later thoughts.

#1: I'm once again going to revisit the benefits of companies paying out a dividend instead of "investing" the cash back into the business. Low orbit devices? Expensive book readers?

#2: Jeez, is it too late to short amazon? A company known well for their e-biz capabilities and inventory management does not make for a company that can build high tech/high touch consumer electronics and rocket ships. :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The e-book type of devices will eventually be very common. Why? It will reduce cost. It (or some variant) will eventually replace the paper counterpart.

But $400 seems a bit high for the basic device... no cost reduction there. Batteries are also a bit of a pain (and costly) too. Not to mention storing all of your books (my library).

I think it is likely to be a while before they catch-on broadly.

I am wondering how I will read my book at the beach on vacation? LCD screens do not seem to perform well in bright sun-light.

I'll stick with paper for now.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #7

Well, I can tell you this.

Whoever was in charge of cosmetic design should be dragged out into the street and shot.

It looks like it was built by Tandy in 1985
Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #8

I'll stick with free Audio ebooks downloaded from the library to my $100 MP3 player...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Check out the reviews on the Amazon page. Most of the bad reviews cite price as the reason they don't like it.

I predicted that by now electronic readers would be common -- it'll happen some day.

I'm reading Stephen King's It right not, 1152 pages. I'd rather be reading it on a 10 ounce Kindle. But until I can take out library books for free on a reader, I'll stick with the 1430's technology.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But until I can take out library books for free on a reader, I'll stick with the 1430's technology.
Almost there. Our library has a number of e-book downloads, and hopefully everyone (including Kindle) has their formats straight.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Random thoughts about the intellectual property rights stuff...

I can take a book out of the library for free. The library can buy a book and then lend it out. But let's say libraries convert to ebooks. Can I get a library bestseller on my Kindle? There's no qualitative difference between doing that and borrowing a real book from the library. The only difference is in convenience.

And if you take it further, you realize that you only need one library for the entire world, with all the books available for borrowing on your ereader.

The problem is that at that point it's so convenient to get any book from the library, that there's no point in paying for books, and the system collapses. Libraries only work now because most people don't use them.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #12

I've got one on order. I'm really intrigued, with some of the features like wireless without a wireless fee. There is a ton of free content on Project Gutenberg that I'd like an easy, portable way to read.

I'll let you know what I think after I've tried it out.

Coach
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And if you take it further, you realize that you only need one library for the entire world, with all the books available for borrowing on your ereader.

and the system collapses.
Some of these library e-books are set up similar to physical books. If you 'check' one out, it is locked for access by anyone else, until you 'check it back in'. The library has to buy X licenses to allow X to be checked out at one time.

This does not apply to ALL ebooks, but it is an option if they want to use it.

-ERD50
Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that I hadn't even heard of Kindle until today, when I read Joe's post.

Since then I've read the Newsweek cover story and others (e.g. this is a good one) that have convinced me that this is a great product. I'll be sure to get one as soon as the price comes down.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #15

Early adopters are necessary to keep this new stuff coming out even if the initial models aren't the ultimate solution. I'm definitely considering a purchase.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and others (e.g. this is a good one) that have convinced me that this is a great product.
Quote:
Unlike the iPhone, you can do that without ever being billed for wireless access. The free, unlimited wireless is just there. And it's not Wi-Fi, but mobile broadband; it connects anywhere a Sprint cell phone can connect (taxi cabs, the beach -- you name it).
Whoa. This is an interesting business model.

Can't read it in the dark (yet). I bet someone's already working on a book-light clip powered through the headphone jack...

All right, I really really wanna believe, but color me cautiously optimistic.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #17

Black and white only, no back light, looks bulky, $400! Yikes. I googled free ebooks. Looked at the top 100 at Main Page - Gutenberg. It was hard to resist The Outline of Science, Vol. 1 (of 4) by J. Arthur Thomson (1122) or Physiology and Hygiene for Secondary Schools by Francis M. Walters (388) , but I did.

For now I'll pass.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is one toy I would like to have. I see that Amazon has it on back order. I'll wait at least till the price comes down and perhaps till more features are added.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am never usually interested in gadgets but this is one I'll buy once the price drops .
Old 12-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

You guys keep me up to date. I did not know a gadget like this came out!