Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of the books I've been downloading are free from Project Gutenberg www.gutenberg.org. I select the MobiPocket format for my Kindle2. It isn't the best "cover to cover" formatting like Amazon's e-book formatting, but the pages are all readable.
At Amazon's Kindle store, you can pay anywhere from zero to $0.99 all the way up to $9.99 for bestsellers, to much more for what I would call "textbooks". Price is dependent on the age of the book and its popularity. I tend to go for the collections of w*rks, usually approx $4. I have enough reading material right now to last me thru 10 blizzards (did I just jinx myself? ).
With more e-readers coming out, I'll bet the price of Kindle compatible books will do nothing but drop like a rock, unless proprietary e-book formats take a while to iron themselves out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to read this forum on the Kindle, from the Kindle go to Skweezer and type in the forum address. They claim to “make websites mobile-friendly.” It’s good enough for me.

Another site is Google Mobilizer: http://google.com/gwt/n
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

In the spirit of recent threads on spending money, I just bought my first Kindle. It has been harder and harder for me to read conventional paper books due to small print and aging eyes I guess. I was hoping that the Kindle would help this problem and I want to tell everyone that yes, it does!

It arrived last night. Instead of getting the $489 Kindle DX (the large one with the 9.7" display) I went for the $259 conventional Kindle 2 with the 6" display instead (having read that Amazon would refund my money if didn't like it, as long as I sent it back in the same packaging). If I rotate the image 90 degrees so that I am viewing in "landscape" orientation, the Kindle 2 is perfectly fine with larger text and I love the fact that it is light and fits in my purse.

The non-backlit display is amazing and very easy on my eyes. I love being able to make the print larger if/when my eyes get tired.

I downloaded 9 books last night (3 fiction, 6 non-fiction) and I am having a ball. The Kindle is AMAZING! What a terrific use of discretionary funds.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

There she goes!!!! Spending that money!

I'm looking forward to my iPad (which I have not ordered yet). I look forward to reading books on it.

I'll wait to order my iPad after the first "rush" subsides. But I'm getting itchy!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

I am spending money too! My laptop died last week so I had to find a replacement. I hesitated between the iPad, another laptop and a netbook and finally opted... for the netbook. I can't say that I am overly excited about my purchase (I would have preferred to get my hands on a brand new iPad personally), but the netbook was more versatile and a better complement to my iPhone. Now if only those fools at AT&T started to support iPhone tethering, I'd be a very happy camper.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

iPad vs. Kindle: Will Apple's iPad pose huge threat to Amazon.com's Kindle dominance?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I might get an iPad later on too, just for fun - - but I decided I definitely wanted a Kindle 2 for now. I love the fact that it is so small that it fits in my purse, light enough that my wrist doesn't get tired, and the battery seems to last nearly forever (1-2 weeks apparently, but I have been reading on mine since my last post and battery usage is negligible). I love carrying an entire LIBRARY of books, hidden away in my purse. Plus, I also had MS Word change some of my personal documents into PDF's (after enlarging the font to a satisfactory size), and put them on there too.

The iPad has a different set of advantages (color, backlit screen, and hopefully more intuitive web browsing), and I think it could fit into my life in a slightly different niche.

There are lots of discussions on Amazon's Kindle forum about the iPad and which to buy. I read them all prior to purchase. Where I might have made a mistake was in not waiting until after the iPad came out to see if the Kindle price went down further. Oh well!

Basically I think we are at a point where the "ultimate e-book reader" is in sight but nobody is making it yet. I expect that within 5 years we will see some big improvements hitting the market.

FIREdreamer, how exciting that you got a netbook!! I really want an excuse to get one. I think they are SO cool. By the way, while reading about the Kindle I discovered that you can read Kindle books on your iPhone if you want to.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

FIREdreamer, how exciting that you got a netbook!! I really want an excuse to get one. I think they are SO cool. By the way, while reading about the Kindle I discovered that you can read Kindle books on your iPhone if you want to.
I have the kindle app on the iPhone, so I can read my kindle books directly on my iPhone. It's not great (the screen is a bit small so there is a lot of scrolling involved), but for the amount of digital reading I do, it's good enough. If I was a more avid digital reader, then getting the Kindle would be a must. Alas, I don't read that much and, when I do, I like the old paper print. The netbooks are cool but of course not iPad-cool IMO. But what sold me is that they can do things that my iPhone (or an iPad) cannot do (like running Quicken, playing a wide range of video formats, etc...) which makes a netbook an ideal companion for my iPhone when I travel. Since I already have an iPhone, the iPad seems a bit... redundant at the time.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
If I was a more avid digital reader, then getting the Kindle would be a must. Alas, I don't read that much and, when I do, I like the old paper print.
Believe it or not, I agree completely and would stick with paper print if I wasn't having such a hard time reading it lately. Since I just got glasses last summer, it can't be my prescription - - my problem must be due to the effects of aging. I can see the print, though I have to squint sometimes to make it out and my eyes get tired after a few pages.

But for some reason, reading on the Kindle is easy with no squinting or eyestrain. I am very happy with my Kindle because it is so much easier for me to read now.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But for some reason, reading on the Kindle is easy with no squinting or eyestrain. I am very happy with my Kindle because it is so much easier for me to read now.
Is the screen lit (or backlit)? That may explain the easier reading.

I'm hopeless now without my reading glasses. And I'm only 50!

Audrey
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is the screen lit (or backlit)? That may explain the easier reading.

I'm hopeless now without my reading glasses. And I'm only 50!

Audrey
No, in fact (according to what I have read on the internet, and you know the internet is always right ) that is WHY I haven't been experiencing eyestrain.

I didn't believe it, and before buying thought the lack of a backlit screen would be a disadvantage. However, amazingly, in real experience it seems a lot easier on my eyes than the backlit screens I have used. Go figure.

Another thing that I read on the internet, but didn't believe, is that the Kindle is less likely than paper books to cause motion sickness when reading in a car. Today, we traveled to Gonzales Louisiana and back and I read out loud to Frank from it the whole way while he drove. He is a sweetie and didn't mind. I didn't get motion sick, and I almost always do with paper books.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

W2R - your new avatar is scaring me!

Audrey
Old 03-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
W2R - your new avatar is scaring me!

Audrey
Oh good! I was tired of my sweet, understanding Eva Habermann avatar and wanted something that would SHOCK and scare people just as a refreshing change. The panther mask just didn't quite do it.

I won't keep this one long. Just long enough to imagine the old geezers on the board looking at it like this and muttering "Sheesh!"

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Oh good! I was tired of my sweet, understanding Eva Habermann avatar and wanted something that would SHOCK and scare people just as a refreshing change. The panther mask just didn't quite do it.

I won't keep this one long. Just long enough to imagine the old geezers on the board looking at it like this and muttering "Sheesh!"
I thought maybe you were turning over a new leaf....
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sheesh!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sheesh!
OK, that did it!

Hope Dorothy is sweet and gentle enough for everyone's tastes...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I thought maybe you were turning over a new leaf....
Every moderator or admin must see a bit of the dark side...

Part of the job.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been a Kindler (K1) for two years now and would not go back to reading DTBs if I can help it.

If you are new to e-readers here are some sites that may be if interest.
Book Lovers' Links

Amazon.com: Free Book Collections: Kindle Store

Ebook and Texts Archive : Free Books : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

WebScription Ebooks - Free Library
Free SiFi books found here.

Books on The Knob
Lots of free books here.

A Kindle World blog

Even though the initial coat of a Kindle is high you can more than make up for that cost in free reading material that you can pick up. True you can access a lot of those same sourses if you down load Kindle for PC/MAC et al or Caliber and read them on your computer or net book or phone. However the Kindle offers a much more comfortable reading experience and does not need to be recharged as often as the Ipad has to be.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the links, Cattusbabe!

I treated myself to all nine books on my "wish list" last night, as well, for $78 from the Kindle Store. I am having a ball reading them. But even the two classics on that list (that were also on my high school required reading lists 45 years ago) cost $0.99 each. Later on, I will probably take advantage of the free books on your list as well.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
OK, that did it!

Hope Dorothy is sweet and gentle enough for everyone's tastes...
....we were hoping for the red shoes, W2R
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote