Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
....we were hoping for the red shoes, W2R
The Ruby Slippers? Really?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Is the screen lit (or backlit)? That may explain the easier reading.

I'm hopeless now without my reading glasses. And I'm only 50!
Interestingly, My Blackberry Storm has a Kindle App (free) that I installed. It is, in fact, easier to read than paper. Granted the 3"x2" screen would not be to everyone's liking but I am suitably impressed... not enough to purchase am e-book but nevertheless I am interested in the technology. (My reluctance to purchase is more a LBYM issue than anything to do with readability.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #63
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I won't keep this one long. Just long enough to imagine the old geezers on the board looking at it like this and muttering "Sheesh!"

The problem is we are the old geezers since most of the posters aren't near SS age !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The problem is we are the old geezers since most of the posters aren't near SS age !
I regard myself as an "old geezeress", not an old geezer!

'Scuse me- - I gotta go chase those young scalawags off my lawn again!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

I have looked at the kindle numerous times and haven't pulled the plug . The reason is I like to read new releases and I read a lot . Currently I buy some and either resell them or pass them on to my friends and family or I use the library which is a few blocks away . So My kindle bill would run about $50 to $60 a month and have nothing to show for that . I have seen barely used or new kindles on ebay at bargain prices so eventually I might bite .
Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have looked at the kindle numerous times and haven't pulled the plug . The reason is I like to read new releases and I read a lot . Currently I buy some and either resell them or pass them on to my friends and family or I use the library which is a few blocks away .
Here's a reason to buy one that you may have forgotten about - - travel:
Quote:
I've also toyed with buying one . I read constantly and when I travel I leave a trail of books behind me . I've seen the Sony reader for $299 but I've heard better things about the kindle .
You can carry a dozen books with you on your trip, and it only weighs a few ounces.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
By the way, while reading about the Kindle I discovered that you can read Kindle books on your iPhone if you want to.
Your post prompted me to check whether there was a kindle app for PCs. And there is! I downloaded the app and my kindle library onto my new netbook and it is much easier to read the books on the netbook than it is on the iPhone. Woohooo!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Your post prompted me to check whether there was a kindle app for PCs. And there is! I downloaded the app and my kindle library onto my new netbook and it is much easier to read the books on the netbook than it is on the iPhone. Woohooo!
Yes, I forgot to mention that one! Hope you enjoy it. Even though paper books are more fun (for those who can still read them), sometimes it is really nice to be able to carry a lot of books, such as when traveling. Also it is nice to have books with me when I have to wait unexpectedly for some reason.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There's a Kindle 1 on Craigslist here for $175 that's tempting me... One review that I read says that if you just want it for reading, Kindle 1 is just about as good.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's a Kindle 1 on Craigslist here for $175 that's tempting me... One review that I read says that if you just want it for reading, Kindle 1 is just about as good.
Another source of information on the K1 v K2 question might be the Kindle message board on Amazon. Lots of Kindle users, lots of posts too.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Firedreamer ,what netbook did you buy ! I am really interested in getting one for travel since I need to carry my laptop but it is getting heavy .
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a reason to buy one that you may have forgotten about - - travel:
You can carry a dozen books with you on your trip, and it only weighs a few ounces.
Another resource while traveling...I've downloaded specific area travel guides onto my Kindle 2 to take with me on my solo adventures. I read them on the flight or in the airport and make up my plan of attack list of places to visit. I own a GPS, but that does not provide any descriptions or hours of operation.
The combo of the two tech devices is fabulous for my needs.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Firedreamer ,what netbook did you buy ! I am really interested in getting one for travel since I need to carry my laptop but it is getting heavy .
That's the one I got:

HP Mini 210-1040NR
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I've had my Kindle 2 about a year and truly adore it. Like anything it has good and bad points.

I am on my second Kindle actually. The first one had the screen go out about 2 months after I got it. I will say that Amazon very quickly replaced it and I've had no problems since then.

I adore being able to take a whole library of books in a very small package. I can still remember when I went on the first vacation with DH and he was dumbfounded that I would take an entire suitcase of books (well I didn't know what I would be in the mood to read during the week so....) Now, I just take the Kindle. I recently got the Kindle for BB and like it also. I usually will read the Kindle in preference to the BB. The BB does have the advantage of being back lit.

One thing I also like about the Kindle is you can associate one Kindle account with either 5 or 6 devices. So my son's ipod touch and my DH's iphone are associated with my account, letting all of us share books.

I do agree that the lack of back light makes it easy to use. That said, it would be nice to have a backlight option for when you are in low light conditions.

Also, battery life is long...so long as you turn the wireless off. I usually keep it off unless I am downloading a book.

There is one thing that I don't like. I had ebooks in non-secure mobipocket format that I owned pre-Kindle. The good news is that the Kindle will display them so I can still read them. However, I've yet to find a way to get Kindle for iphone or for BB to read those non-Kindle books. The Amazon site lets me send to those other devices the books bought from Amazon but does not allow me to send those other non-Kindle books. I know they could be read on those other devices using other software but that is a pain.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try managing your e-books using this:
calibre - E-book management
There is a tutorial that explains its use and how to download to various devices.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I haven't really looked into this, but isn't there a big chance that the consumables that one uses with one of these readers will bump up recurring expenses quite a lot?

Ha

That is the conclusion I came to after careful examination . I usually read two or three books a week depending on the month . Currently I usually get most of my books from the library cost 0 and I may buy one from a book store or Amazon usual cost $15 which I resell for usually $9. With a Kindle all the books that I would enjoy would be $9.99 so my monthly costs would increase by $80 to $120 plus I would miss book stores and libraries . So I think I'll pass on the kindle and just occasionally buy an ebook when I'm traveling and out of books .
Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

I generally download and read the freebies. I add the ones I have to pay for to my wish list then I wait. The CC that I use has rewards points and when I have enough I cash them in to purchase an Amazon gift card that I use to to buy the books I have added to my wish list. Solves the problem of bumping up the "recurring expenses".

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I generally download and read the freebies.
Can you give some examples of good freebies that you've read? I have such trouble finding books I really like, that I wonder if the freebies would work for me.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you give some examples of good freebies that you've read? I have such trouble finding books I really like, that I wonder if the freebies would work for me.
I don't have a kindle but it is my understanding that the free book downloads from all of these e-readers is limited to old books that are now "public domain". So it's a great deal if you like classics. But I don't think you'll find many new books for free.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #80
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Go to amazon and check out kindle books . They have them all listed . I mostly read new releases and they are all $9.99 and even the year old books cost about $8.00 . I couldn't find any freebies that interested me but I really don't enjoy rereading the classics . I like the idea of the kindle and if I was an RVer I'd definitely get one or maybe just wait for the Ipad .