Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Payment Issues....Mac/Chrome?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon Payment Issues....Mac/Chrome?

Today I ordered something from Amazon. I'm used to a page coming up where I have to select which credit card to use. Instead it went instantly to confirmation and thanks for purchase w/o option to choose. I managed to find a box to check to cancel order, then called Amzn to question why. The rep said the 1-click was turned on (I've never used that) and she turned it off. I went back and re-ordered and the same thing happened. This time I managed to discover that I could change payment method even after the purchase went thru. Called them again and they said 1-click was off. After some ranting about wanting an opt-in default rather than an opt-out (me), the rep said maybe there were issues w/ browser.

I can't remember for sure but it's possible this is the first time I've ordered w/Chrome on the Mac......previously it would have been IE on a PC or Safari on the Mac. Is is possible that Chrome would make the Amazon site a 1-click order site for me when other browsers don't do that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #2

I order often from Amazon using the Firefox browser on a Linux system. I never know whether the order process is going to take me through steps where I select a payment option or destination address -- sometimes it does, sometimes not. Perhaps Amazon's order placing software is a little screwy. It's never really bothered me -- I'm used just feeling my way through computer directed processes. Occasionally I've had to cancel an order and start over when I couldn't make the system do things my way. I doubt the CSR you talked to understood what was going on, and perhaps no one does.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #3

Greg..........thanks for your info. I guess I'll be prepared mentally for this next time. Perhaps only the PC/Windows combo works as advertised, or perhaps not.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

It just occurred to me that some apparent indeterminacy may result from whether I am signed in to my account. I never know whether I'm signed in until I'm asked to enter my password, meaning I'm not, because only some operations require being signed in, and I'm signed out automatically after some time has passed. It's hard to keep track of when I keep an Amazon tab open long term. The system won't do the one click ordering thing unless it's sure I'm me.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My guess is that the one-click order option is based on a cookie they set, which would be browser-specific. That would easily explain what you experienced.